El Yunque - worth it or not?

lekisha20

I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not El Yunque is worth the 40 minute drive from the port. We plan to rent a car drive there and hike it. We would ideally like a little time to get back and explore/have lunch in San Juan. The port times are 7a - 3:30p.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or experiences?

We did rented a car and went to the rainforest last October and had a blast. We did it on the last day of the cruse and were staying over in San Juan the next day. In my opinion, 7-3:30 is not enough time to enjoy it and have to worry to get back in time for when the ship leaves. I think your time would be best spent in Old San Juan.

El Yunque is a unique place in the United States. I don't think an 80-minute round trip is all that high a price to pay to get there. I don't see the point of going all the way to Puerto Rico and missing on a great experience just because it's not a perfect experience.

I've done a bus tour to Yunque in the AM and returned to explore OSJ in the PM. I do not regret seeing El Yunque - it did make me want to return for a more lengthy visit, which I in fact did a couple of months ago.

To maximize your time I would do some pre-planning. Rent the car online, which will probably save you some money anyway. Plan your tour of the forest beforehand as well. It's true that you won't see all of it, but it's really not a huge area and you can get a good feel for it in a few hours. There aren't all that many other places like it.

The old city is also pretty compact and some pre-planning will help here as well. You may not have time for a comprehensive tour of the forts, but the city walls are extensive and free to look at and there is plenty of other interesting architecture as well.

I think your original plan is sound. If your stay in both Yunque and OSJ are each a little less than ideal, they may well serve as inspiration for more lengthy explorations in the future. After all cruising tends to become a habit.

With that timeline, I would do one or the other but not hope to do both. El Yunque is "worth it" but you will probably be utilizing most of your time there and may have to miss Old San Juan. It will depend on how much exploring you will want to do. We usually make at least three stops in El Yunque.

The ships usually want you onboard no later than a half hour before departure and even that is cutting it too close. If your ship leaves at 3:30, plan on your return for 2:30 at the pier.

As the other poster stated, do your homework in advance. Go to the National Park Service website and determine what you want to do with your time in El Yunque and plan accordingly. Allow plenty of time for obtaining your rental car and returning.

Only you can decide your priorties. Both El Yunque and strolling OSJ are good choices.

I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not El Yunque is worth the 40 minute drive from the port. We plan to rent a car drive there and hike it. We would ideally like a little time to get back and explore/have lunch in San Juan. The port times are 7a - 3:30p.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or experiences?

Your port times are short to fit both of these in. I'd pick one or the other. If you've never visited OSJ then that would be your best pick- try the Segway tour, it was a blast. If you have visited OSJ, as we have numerous times (land vacations), then the trip to the rain forest is pretty cool. We hiked in and swam in the falls.

Be forewarned, driving in Puerto Rico is a bit wild compared to driving in the US. Montreal was good training for us.

Archived