Purchasing Alcohol in Cozumel

mah45638

this is my first cruise, can you explain duty free? Can you purchase more and just pay extra for it?

from what i know, if you buy more than whats allowed you go to the pursers desk and a nice friendly customs agent will take some money from ya before you get off the ship

The shopping talk aboard will give you all the info you need as far as the customs allowances. Try to get to the talk or go to guest relations and they should be able to help you.

Actually, we did buy more than was allowed duty-free on one Western Caribbean cruise. When we went to present our immigration card, for those who had over duty-free limits, we had declared the extra liquor. Since it was just one extra bottle, the customs agent just waived any extra duty. But, yes, if it is a lot less expensive and you want to purchase over your limit and pay the duty, you may do that. Just be sure to declare it.

When we went, we bought 5 Liters for the two of us. So I dutifully went down to the Customs Agent and got in line to pay the duty for the other three bottles. The customs agent came out and said if we had less than 5 Liters per person to just go on, that they would not be collecting the duty on it! :eek: I know that duty is only $2-3 dollars a liter, so I wasn't worried about going over. But if I had known they wouldn't make me pay anything, I would have definitely bought more!! ;)

June

Every time I go to Germany I come home with 10 liters of beer which is over the duty free limit. I just declare it on the customs form and have never had to pay anything.

If you are interested in drinking it on the ship do a search for this. I have read about people coming back from port, putting their bag/backpack with alcohol through the xray and then walking past the desk where it's supposed to be deposited.

Cheers

Archived