Debit Card

My example was based on a 7 day cruise yes. I know in the past when I've been on Carnival they've "pre-authorized" each days spending instead of one initial pre-authorization, then all of those holds became one charge after the cruise was over.

When I called NCL about the debit card thing they said they do an inital hold of $300 on all debit and credit cards and when you reach $300 worth of expenses they pre-authorize another $300 OR MAY start pre-authorizing each days spending after that (one hold for each day worth of expenses over $300). Either way, with Bank of America, they never take holds out of your available balance.

If your available balance drops below your hold amounts, then you'll just overdraft once the hold goes through as a charge. I travel a LOT in and out of the country by plane, train and automobile with just a debit card and this is how they do it all the time.

Even if you call BoA they'll tell you that holds don't effect your available balance. As a matter of fact I've got one on my account right now for a dining reservation I pre-paid for over the weekend.

My example was based on a 7 day cruise yes. I know in the past when I've been on Carnival they've "pre-authorized" each days spending instead of one initial pre-authorization, then all of those holds became one charge after the cruise was over.

When I called NCL about the debit card thing they said they do an inital hold of $300 on all debit and credit cards and when you reach $300 worth of expenses they pre-authorize another $300 OR MAY start pre-authorizing each days spending after that (one hold for each day worth of expenses over $300). Either way, with Bank of America, they never take holds out of your available balance.

If your available balance drops below your hold amounts, then you'll just overdraft once the hold goes through as a charge. I travel a LOT in and out of the country by plane, train and automobile with just a debit card and this is how they do it all the time.

Even if you call BoA they'll tell you that holds don't effect your available balance. As a matter of fact I've got one on my account right now for a dining reservation I pre-paid for over the weekend.

Ok that sounds good to me. I have seen occasionally holds do that and have noticed they don't hit the account right away. With payday on the 15th and the cruise on the 14th, this will mean less moving money between accounts for me.

What you are describing does not sound logical as the purpose of a "hold" is to 1) verify the account; 2) verify that the balance is there-"authorization": 3) to assure that the company will get paid (sufficient funds to cover charges). If BofA does this, how are they guaranteeing the company running the card of the funds?

That's my logic anyway.

The pre-paid cards aren't usable for some rental cars either.

I have a pre-paid American Express - use it for all my travel. Accepted every where American Express regular CC is accepted.

Archived