Can we bring a kettle - or is room service good?

BORDER REIVER

I not sure I understand how the quality could have slipped? It's a pot of tea: hot water and a tea bag. One pot of tea tastes remarkably similar to another pot of tea, from my tea drinking experience.

Hello Whitemarsh, I agree with you if you agrre with me:

A ship is a ship. It may be a Thomson or a Cunard ;-)

But, in fact you confirmed my view of the remarkable easy english "tea culture" - it's only the hot water that makes it a "tea". I have other requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

The recent supplier of tea bags to Cunard is not my favorite one and I do in fact expect more than a simple tea bag service in the Grills. "The tea used in tea bags is commonly fannings or "dust", the waste product produced from the sorting of higher quality loose leaf tea. (Wikipedia)".

:eek:

HEATHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

I can't differentiate among all kinds of tea, but I can tell some apart. Last I knew, QM2 served Twinings, which I think is good--and has varieties that truly vary. Another line I've cruised offers Bigelow, which appears to be bags of tea dust. And their black teas really do all taste the same.

I'm pretty sure it's still Twinings, if memory serves me correct. Although I wasn't paying particular attention, so I may be wrong. If I am, I will say three Hail Marys to atone. :)

Hello Whitemarsh, I agree with you if you agrre with me:

A ship is a ship. It may be a Thomson or a Cunard ;-)

But, in fact you confirmed my view of the remarkable easy english "tea culture" - it's only the hot water that makes it a "tea". I have other requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

The recent supplier of tea bags to Cunard is not my favorite one and I do in fact expect more than a simple tea bag service in the Grills. "The tea used in tea bags is commonly fannings or "dust", the waste product produced from the sorting of higher quality loose leaf tea. (Wikipedia)".

So did they used to serve the 'loose' tea in years gone by?

On a visit to a tea factory in Sri Lanka the workers took great delight in pointing out that much of the content of tea bags came from the 'waste' part of the processing of high quality teas - to me tea is tea but Mrs MS has a fine palate for the stuff and it seems there is a lot of difference... and she has a real dislike for Earl Grey

I'm pretty sure it's still Twinings, if memory serves me correct. Although I wasn't paying particular attention, so I may be wrong. If I am, I will say three Hail Marys to atone. :)

I am not in the profession that grants absolution, but if I were, you know I'd forgive you!

:D

On a visit to a tea factory in Sri Lanka the workers took great delight in pointing out that much of the content of tea bags came from the 'waste' part of the processing of high quality teas - to me tea is tea but Mrs MS has a fine palate for the stuff and it seems there is a lot of difference... and she has a real dislike for Earl Grey

Earl Grey seems to be very popular on this side of The Pond, but I dislike it, too. It's the standard black tea at Starbucks--yet another reason to purchase hot beverages elsewhere.

I would side with Mrs MS. Tea was never meant to be brewed by dangling a tea bag in a cup of off hot water.

Although it is difficult to find quality leaf ( loose) tea nowadays,it is well worth the effort, and we can still find traditional style tea rooms in England, quite often in small villages where the teapot will come inside it's tea cozy, and we will need the tea strainer when we pour.

For what we pay for a Cunard cruise I don't expect any of this afloat though.

And I don't like Earl Grey either.

David.

I must have been particularly unlucky with room service on Cunard as I have never had a decent cuppa. The problem seems to me to be that the tea is not made when the water is just boiling not just hot. It is a bit like trying to make tea with the water heated in a coffee maker where the water does not boil. The tea is not as it should be. Yes, I am fussy about my tea. I guess people who mainly drink coffee would be fussy about their coffee. Each to his own.

Whitemarsh - I hope you will be on your knees for the three Hail Marys. Better add an Act of Contrition while you are at it for good measure.

Yes Cunard does serve Twinings, but they seem to use a special( read "cheap") blend .

In the main dining room I ordered Earl Grey, and it did not taste or smell like Earl Grey. Then I tried another flavour which is (or should be strongly aromatic), the stuff I was served had no smell whatsoever, and darn all taste.

In fact I was convinced that the waiter had made a mistake, until I checked the label. Neither tea tasted or smelt like the same brand and flavour as the tea in my tea pot at home.

As for room service, I would not personally recommend it, I found the water just warm making tea in the cup is horrible but most of all I hate having to get up BEFORE the time of service in order to put on a robe in order to appear "decent" when the knock on the door comes.

If I have to get up and "dress" I might just as well do the complete job and go for breakfast.

I agree, we had room service tea a couple of times on our March voyage on the QM2. It was perfectly delivered, on time, but the water was in a jug with seperate tea bags and was obviously not boiling (it was fine for coffee). I make tea at home with water boiling straight from the kettle to the pot which really is the only way to release the flavour - simply not possible with room service hot water in a jug.

We did the same as somebody said above when we were on deck 6 just beneath the buffet; I nipped upstairs in the morning to make our tea. This time on deck 10 we had to rely on room service (I guess one of the downsides of booking Princess Grill!)

Also, if anyone feels the desire to order the Caviar Champagne breakfast, I would say don't. We were married in March on the QM2 and had to try it, the champagne was fine, but the cavair and accompaniments tasted truly awful - maybe it was the time of day as I am not a great breakfast eater - but much preferred a plain boiled egg with the champagne!

I've been reading this with interest. Like so many others I don't really care for Earl Grey, and my preference is for Jasmine or Green Tea. Has anyone had any experience of either on QM2? We're doing the Northern Highlights in May, and I'm not sure that I want to pack my own tea all the way from Sydney! Btw, it seems that room service water temperature would be perfect for me as both Green and Jasmine are made with 'off the boil' water!:)

I've been reading this with interest....We're doing the Northern Highlights in May, and I'm not sure that I want to pack my own tea all the way from Sydney! ...:)

If that's the tour going to Hamburg you are lucky as there is a lot of decent tea availabe in Hamburg. If you visit the old storehouse right where QM2 docks there is a Speicherstadt-Museum sampling good teas and coffees as weel. And don't forget to visit the miniature wonderland close to QM2 as well - you have never seen anything like before.

We always use room service on Cunard and find it to be fine, but we are not overly picky. There is a small fridge, so you can stow the milk you prefer (I find it is inconsistent in the dining room). Also, there are tea bags available on the Lido, so it is possible to stow a few in the room if you prefer. Let your cabin steward know you like your H2O really hot and they will endeavor to assist you.

. Let your cabin steward know you like your H2O really hot and they will endeavor to assist you.

The problem is that really hot is no good for a tea conneseur. It's got to be freshly boiled.

David.

Archived