Nassau Diving

mermaid40

We plan on diving in Nassau in December. Any suggestions for who to dive with in Nassau? We will be on Royal Caribbean, would you suggest booking with them or on our own? Any good dive sites to recommend? Thank you!

after an outing with them two fridays ago on the zuiderdam i would NOT recommend stuart cove's.

i've used dive dive dive in the past and would endorse them.

likewise, i've heard very good things about nassau scuba centre too.

I dove with Stuart's Cove June, 2004. Was there for 7 days (dove 5 of them). Never went to the same sight and was never bored. They were friendly and professional, and I would highly recommend them.

This will help narrow your choice down. ;)

I tried to make reservations to dive with Nassau Scuba Centre on July 20, as I'd heard several good first hand reports about them.

I received an email from the office manager stating that they are closing for good on June 30. :(

I got the same email that they are closing their shop for good end of June. We had been trying to get in contact with them for a July 26 dive trip. We want to do a shark dive while we are there. We think RC contract with Stuart Coves now for dives booked through the ship. Those dives will not be shark dives we were told. I think we can get one if we book directly with SC. We'll also check out Dive, Dive, Dive. Can't wait!! :)

I was emailed also as I always go with Nassau Scuba Center when I am in Nassau. I was very sad to see that they are closing, as they have been the #1 in personal service. I have dived with them for 10 years. That bites....

Tarkus,

Did you have a bad experence with Stuart Cove?

indeed - the only thing the DIDN'T do that day was get somebody hurt or killed... otherwise, pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong! rather than repost, if you want to read about it (plus my other dive destinations) have a look on my personal website.

needless to say, i - and the other divers in our group - will never again give them a second crack at our business!

Are we allowed to bring our own snorkeling gear and just do it on our own at any beach?

I think you can - only I don't know of any public beach that has anything interesting to look at within swimming range.

Tarkus

I just went to your web site and read your Nassau review. Boy did you have a tough time. I had a great time with Stuart Cove and never any of the problems you encountered. The one thing I didn't like about their operation was that the first dive was always lead by a divemaster. The second dive was optional and you could follow the leader or go on your own. I did notice that the DM did very little checking for air status. I guess with close to 100 dives I've learned to monitor mine and my buddies frequently. Also I have an underwater air horn and when I start to get near 1000 psi I make certain that the DM is aware. It also suprises me that you went out in a 6 pax. When I was there in Feb they had nothing but big 12-18 passenger boats. Better luck next time.

JerryG

actually, that was my experience when i used them over several days during a land-based trip to nassau in june 2004. hence my surprise at how my trip with them booked through holland america went so terribly badly.

btw, while the dive boat might have been (technically) big enough for 12 divers plus dms and crew, in practice only about half of us could actually gear-up at the same time - lest we'd be bumping and pushing one another. that was another reason for the staggered entries and why half the group got separated from the (incompetent) dm.

i still can't help but wonder if part of their problem is simply having gotten too big... regardless, when back in nassau i'll be using my friends from 'dive dive dive' again.

Archived