Livorno Excursions

Looking for recommendations for the excursions to Pisa from Livorno - I see from the excursion guide there are a few options, just wondered what you guys would recommend.

Going on IE on 9th April - have posted in the IE forum but no replies so thought I'd ask in here since it's all Thomson. I see there is one called 'Inside the Tower of Pisa' but apparently it's not available on IE which is a shame - wonder why.

Do you know if any of the other trips give you enough time to go inside? Or is it worth seeing inside anyway?

Thanks x

Can't tell you anything about going inside the Tower but we did Pisa on our own and found it really easy.

We went to Pisa from Livorno on the train - quite convenient. Catch the No.1 bus from the square in the centre of Livorno (P.Grande) to the station. Look up the train schedules from the Trenitalia site before you go but they run reasonably frequently and if I remember correctly only take about 20 minutes.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v

/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

You could do with printing off a Pisa map before you go as it's about a 15/20 minute walk from the station to Miracle Sq but we thought Pisa lovely - much more to it and much nicer than we had imagined.

We went from the Dream in 2010. The trip we did took us by coach. We parked in the coach park and it was quite a walk to the tower. You get a really good view of the tower as you come under the arch. We were amazed at just how much it does lean :eek:

I believe there was another trip, which didn't have so much walking, which took you round the town in a mini train and then took you to the tower.

We liked Pisa too, even though the weather wasn't very good, a lot to see, not just the tower, but the church etc.

Not sure what trips they do now, but could recommend the one we did :)

As my husband cannot walk for long periods we chose the ´Pisa and Tasting´ excursion which was ideal (although, as already said, the coach parked quite a distance from the centre).

We had ample time to wander around Pisa centre then went on to a Vineyard where we had had a tour of the Winery and then sampled the produce. We generally don´t like ´Tasting´ style excursions but actually found this one very enjoyable.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I believe there was another trip, which didn't have so much walking, which took you round the town in a mini train and then took you to the tower.

Must be the 'Easy Pisa' one - I quite fancy that as it's difficult for me to do much walking.

We also have a stop at Ajaccio in Corsica - not sure what to do there. The Tortoise Protection Centre sounds quite good. :)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Must be the 'Easy Pisa' one - I quite fancy that as it's difficult for me to do much walking.

We also have a stop at Ajaccio in Corsica - not sure what to do there. The Tortoise Protection Centre sounds quite good. :)

Yes I think that's it - I wished we had done that as we did not get to see the town. We did have some free time, but it started to rain, so we sheltered in a bar with a beer :D

We also called in to Ajacio and we did an island tour.

there is a petit train in ajaccio which you can hop on, hop off, its quite a pretty town with a few shops and coffee shops and there is a museum housed in Napoleon Bonapartes ancestral home

there is a nice park and monument up on the hill with lovely views

hope this helps

Last year we wanted to visit Napoleons museum. However being a Monday, it was closed.

Two years ago my dad and I went to Livorno. It was so easy taking the train to Pisa but didn`t realise we had to walk to the tower. Somehow I thought we`d get of the train and the tower would be facing us!!!

Then last year with my husband, he "as usual" thought he knew everything and advised we take the bus all the way. We stood wrongly on the opposite side of the street, saw the bus going past then realised we would have to wait another hour. We din`t get there. So I would say, take the train.

At Ajaccio we took the open topped double decker bus along the coast - cost (I think) €8 each for a 45 minutes drive each eay passing some lovely coastal scenery; bus departed less than 5 minutes from where the ship berthed. After that we just wandered around Ajaccio town and market (we too were there on a Monday so were unable to go into Napoleons house).

We went to Livorno on a previous cruise in 2011.There are shuttle buses to take you into town.But we went on the Easy Pisa trip.This was on a coach to the outside of Pisa- as the coach pulled up it was raining and we were surrounded by foreign umbrella sellers- the Italian guide reacted in the way only an irate Italian stallion can react- he told us all to remain seated on the coach as he was going to get rid of the umbrella sellers! He began shouting at the guys and they set about him- wacking him over the head with their umbrellas- our driver phoned for the police and the guide lept back on the coach.The umbrella sellers dispersed- it was a nasty incident!

We then transferred to a trolley train to take us right into Miracle Square.The Leaning Tower is an amazing sight- a really worthwhile trip- although it lashed it down!

When we docked in Civitavecchia we took the trip Relaxing Rome where after a 'comfort stop' just before entering Rome we stayed on the coach for a superb tour of almost all the stunning sights of Rome.This was a really great way to see a huge number of important buildings from the comfort and safety of a luxury coach.I would not like to cross the road in Rome lol.Brilliant and memories are made of this.

When we docked at Ajaccio we discovered that this is a lovely place with a fine beach and coffee overlooking that lovely beach was a lovely price 3euro a cup! We went on the yellow open top bus in gorgeous sunshine for a trip right up the coast 10euro for 1hr 20min- well worth it to see how the other half live!

Flopsy

Thanks for all the information, this is really useful. Ajaccio sounds lovely - seems to have more to it than I first thought. May not bother doing one of the ship's tours at all then if it's so easy to get around. I knew Napoleon hailed from Corsica but didn't realise it was Ajaccio - we'll be there on a Thursday so may visit the museum and I'll report back!

We went to Livorno on a previous cruise in 2011.There are shuttle buses to take you into town.But we went on the Easy Pisa trip.This was on a coach to the outside of Pisa- as the coach pulled up it was raining and we were surrounded by foreign umbrella sellers- the Italian guide reacted in the way only an irate Italian stallion can react- he told us all to remain seated on the coach as he was going to get rid of the umbrella sellers! He began shouting at the guys and they set about him- wacking him over the head with their umbrellas- our driver phoned for the police and the guide lept back on the coach.The umbrella sellers dispersed- it was a nasty incident!

If only Egyptian tour guides dealt with the vendors in the same way, lol!! :D

Hi, Tummsysmummy, We did the the Easy Pisa trip.We found it ideal,coach to tractor type train,then up to Pisa.Went in Church, but not tower.A good look around,LOVELY ice cream cone,then trip around town. All in all very good..Watch out for "lookie looki men",bit of a nuisance,but did not spoil the trip. Good luck,from Shellsailor.:):):)

Hi, we've been to Livorno twice. The 1st time we did Puccini Lake and Pisa. A nice afternoon out visiting Miracle Square in Pisa to see the tower and then to The lake nearby by Puccini's villa where we had a boat trip on the lake listening to his music and a tour of the villa. There was a walk from the coach to the Tower, but otherwise a nice relaxing afternoon.

The next time we did the Taste of Tuscany wine tasting. Where you had different bottles of wine on the table and food. breads, olives, salami etc. It was like a party. Would recommend both.

Berwyn

Archived