Star in 2006 from Copenhagen

custompcsys

Hi folks - I'm seriously considering the Star northern Europe itinerary in June of 2006 out of Copenhagen. Since I travel for work I can get the air for free with frequent flier miles as long as I book far enough in advance, which makes it much more attractive. I'd be the "good son" on this cruise - would be for my 80 yr old mom, who is very able-bodied and loves to travel. Figure I'd try and share this with her while she is still able. Probably not many more opportunities for a trip like this given her age. So, my thought is to buy 2 open bookings while I am on the Diamond next month, apply them towards the Star, and grab the free air.

Just wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and what they thought, especially in regards to a senior. Also, in order to make it affordable we'd have to go with an inside cabin, so I'd appreciate your thoughs on that as well for a 10-night cruise. I haven't traveled with mom in quite a few years, but who knows if this will ever happen again, so I'm glad to do it if its a reasonable thing to do!

Thanks as always for your thoughts - CC has been a great source of help!

My mother is 80 as well and is quite active so I think she'd have no problem handling the itinerary. (Although I don't think I could share a room with her for 10-nights!) It's a great itinerary with great scenery; plenty of real-city shopping opportunities as well.

If your itinerary is the one that includes a stop in Warnemunde (for Berlin), you might consider that as a day of rest and not take the excursion to Berlin. Warnemunde to Berlin about a 3-hour train or bus ride each way and I think it would wear out a young person, let alone someone that age.

BobK/Orlando

just off Sea Princess

Kingbob, thanks for the info! The itinerary I'm looking at doesn't include Germany (its Nynashamn Sweden, Helsinki Finland, St. Petersburg for 2 days, Tallinn Estonia, Gdynia Poland, and Olso) so we're safe there!

And believe me, its not going to be easy sharing a cabin with mom for me either, but she's put up with me for 48 years, so I figured its the least I could do :)

Hi folks - I'm seriously considering the Star northern Europe itinerary in June of 2006 out of Copenhagen. Since I travel for work I can get the air for free with frequent flier miles as long as I book far enough in advance, which makes it much more attractive. I'd be the "good son" on this cruise - would be for my 80 yr old mom, who is very able-bodied and loves to travel. Figure I'd try and share this with her while she is still able. Probably not many more opportunities for a trip like this given her age. So, my thought is to buy 2 open bookings while I am on the Diamond next month, apply them towards the Star, and grab the free air.

Just wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and what they thought, especially in regards to a senior. Also, in order to make it affordable we'd have to go with an inside cabin, so I'd appreciate your thoughs on that as well for a 10-night cruise. I haven't traveled with mom in quite a few years, but who knows if this will ever happen again, so I'm glad to do it if its a reasonable thing to do!

Thanks as always for your thoughts - CC has been a great source of help!

If you can wait until after Aug. 3 I can give you an answer then. We are doing the trip but the other itinerary where you go to Berlin. We are seniors but about 1/2 way between your and your mother's ages.

You could book the cruise while on the Diamond and then transfer the booking to another cruise or get your deposit back if you change your mind. No need to get an "open booking" best to lock in your choice of rooms next month. You might want to book a guarantee and by booking early have a good chance to be upgraded to an outside room. These cruises book up very fast.

This is a great itinerary and you will both enjoy it. Just understand that this is a very Port Intensive itinerary meaning that there is a port almost every day. If you do excursions at each port it is a tiring trip albeit well worth it. Also as you travel north the time changes and you lose an hour each time. The good thing is you get it back as you travel south.

Most of the ports are a little distance from the towns so you can nap on the way in. LOL.

Enjoy!

You're welcome, custompcsys. I've not been on that itinerary (but would love to), but we visited Copenhagen and Oslo a couple weeks ago on a 2-night cruise with DFDS Scandinavian Seaways and both Helsinki and Stockholm a few years ago on the ferry ships of Silja Line.

Now I'm not positive where Princess will dock because the ship is so large, but in both Copenhagen and Oslo the cruise ships that we saw were docked within walking distance of the main parts of the cities. In Helsinki the trams were there to get easily into town in 5 minutes. In Stockholm the docking is pretty far out.

BobK/Orlando

Archived