anyone ever AMTRAKed to the port?

Hi there...no, we have not experienced this, but are soon going too.

We leave March 15, 2006 from around the Pittsburgh Pa area, stop and change trains in DC then travese on to Miami. A 31 hour trip, but it should prove to be interesting. My hubby won't fly since 9/11 so, this is the only way if we don't want to drive ourselves.

Wish us luck!! Hopefully the train will not be running late. We are arriving into Miami the day before our cruise.

Take care

How much per person was your train ticket?

I am having them figure out the best route for us to take. I am wanting to leave from Nashville or maybe drive over to North Carolina and catch it there. They have yet to get back to me about rates and routes, but I am hoping it is not TOO costly.

Let me know your rates if you can...

We use Amtrak in Southern California all the time. We live in Fullerton, just north of Disneyland and usually cruise out of San Diego which is South just North of Mexico. It works out great. Just make sure that the train will handle the luggage for you, some trains are labeled as Commuter and do not have luggage handeling. Enjoy your trip.

We were seriously thinking of doing this to Orlando this year.Had we more time..We may have.Its 32 hours though from Houston..And includes a 5 hour bus ride from Houston to Longview!!!How there can be no direct route from Houston to Orlando...or even to Longview is beyond me.

For 3 of us..(non sleeping car) it was going to be 435...total,round trip...taxes and all.Not bad if you have the time..(be careful of lay over times,when you look at the schedule as they are not always included in your total time)

we took our first cruise in 2003 out of miami. my husband wouldn't fly (at that time) so our only choice was the train. we took 2 sleeper cars (which i recommend as it is a long trip) because we traveled with our 2 sons (then 12 and 14). it was christmas times so the train was full. new york's penn station was a mad house. once on the train everything calmed down. the cabins were tiny. (which made us think that our cabins on the ship were huge....it's all perspective!!). the toilet is actually in the room with you. there is a small t.v. that has 2 or 3 channels with movies and sitcoms on a loop playing all day and night. the food (included in the sleeper car price) was surprisingly good. eventhough it was a LONG ride with MANY stops.....it was not horrible. we all slept fine, were really never bored. my kids behaved better than i imagined (much to my dismay...i was hoping that if it were a horrible experience, it would force my husband to reconsider his traveling options). the truth is we spent more time on the train than we did on our cruise because as a first cruise we took a 3 night majesty. that's how i sold him on a plane for our next cruise (last year). the train was fine. enjoy it!!

We rode Amtrak from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale for our Enchantment cruise, from Chicago to NYC for our Dawn cruise, and we're leaving next Thursday going to Seattle for our Star cruise. In Feb. 2006 we will be taking the train from Chicago to New Orleans and then on to Orlando.

Be sure to book early for best pricing. We paid $1100 for our current trip, including sleeper, but we booked nearly a year ago. If we had waited until three months ago we would have paid $2500.

I sailed a year and a half ago on the Monarch--we live in Oregon--and since we decided on a 4 night cruise---thought the train would be a fun way to get to Southern California.

We purchased accomodations in a sleeper--which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I don't think I would do a 27 hour train trip sitting coach. As mentioned above in the previous poster--the food is included on the route. It really was delicious! Also, if you're in a sleeper car, you're considered "First Class" passengers and have access to the Parlor Car (at least on the Coast Starlight). The Parlor Car had wine tasting, fresh baked cookies in the afternoon and a movie theatre on the bottom half of the car.

It was a great way to get to the cruise. The sleeper cabin was small...and the shower was VERY small....but all in all I would love to do it again :)

We use the Amtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Vancouver in conjunction with cruises; it's incredibly convenient, getting you to Vancouver roughly noon-ish, about 10 minutes by light rail from Canada Place, a bit further from Ballantine.

A word of warning, especially for the Coast Starlight (LA-Seattle) and the Sunset Limited (LA - Miami) - these routes are *notoriously* late. The Sunset Limited is late 95% of the time (no, really - that's Amtrak's own number) and the Coast Starlight can easily have 6- to 12-hour delays. If you're considering booking a trip on any train that has sleepers, starting or ending west of Chicago, allow plenty of extra time.

Eric

Having trained between NYC and Boston a few times with work - I think that the regular seating would be fine for us to use instead of sleeper cabin. It is 18 hours in length and I just don't see needing an actual sleeper or shower - I can do that when I get off the train. Those seats are HUGE (or they were) and you can lay down when the train is not completely full.

I am hoping our cost is less that $2000 per person - YIKES that sounds terrible.

Surely it would not be THAT much....?!?!

I took the train from Palm Spring Ca to Ft.Lauderdale Fl. You have to transfer train in Tampa. Then you have to spend the night in Tampa. The next morning to Ft. Lauderdale arrive early enough for your cruise. Make sure you arrive a day ahead of your cruise. Trains will be delayed often.

A sleeper for 2 was about $700p.p. one way which includes 3 meals a day. In the day time the compartment has 2 easy chairs. At night the 2 chair become a bed and 1 bed comes out of the top. Great ride about 3 days. Will do that trip more often. Love the trains but make sure you have the time.

the train also have a compartment with private shower. But book those early like 6 months there are not to many.

We just took Amtrak from Philadelphia to New Orleans in May - round trip with the deluxe sleeper compartment. It was great - our only advice is to book early as there are only a limited number of sleeper cars and maybe try to get there a day early - in case there are delays on the train - which could easily happen. Last year we were going to do Amtrak around the USA - had it all booked and Ivan came through - railroad couldn't get through because of flooding. Had to cancel the whole trip because we wouldn't have made all the connections to get to hotel accomodations we had booked. We got all our money back.

We have an Auto-Train (you take your own car packed with all your stuff and they load it in special section of the train and you ride in the trains passenger cars) near us and we took it from Lorton, Virginia to Sanford, Florida to take the Mariner out of Port Canaveral. We've driven to Miami once and decided to try the train as one of the posters suggested. It was great we got to relax, dine and watch movies, and free snacks without the stress of traffic. It would have been perfect if not for this was the week of the terrible hurricane and Amtrak didn't run for several days on our return so we had to drive back to Maryland in our own car. We got two extra cruise days because of the storm, but we also got 2 extra driving days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but just not during hurricane season:D .

My hubby won't fly since 9/11 so,

Every terrorist in the World just high-fived each other... they've won.

But back on topic.

Amtrak is TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE!

With the execption of the Northeast Corridor (DC to NYC to Philly to Boston) they are NEVER on time.

You have a 31-hour trip? I predict it will take 38 hours minumum.

I'm serous. The Rail Consolidation Act of 1968(?) was a HUGE mistake. If passenger service was taken from the railroads, we would have high-speed bullet trains on this continent like Europe.

Here's my advice: Buy a bumper sticker that says "Proud to Be An Infedel" and call the airlines.

:)

When we lived in Milwaukee, we took a train from Chicago to Boston and another train from Chicago to Philadelphia.

The first trip we had a small sleeper. It comes with 3 meals a day, bottled water and soda, shower, towels and the toilet and sink were in the room with us. It's very tiny. Both DH and I got into our closet at home just to understand the size.

The second trip to Philadelphia we had the deluxe sleeper which was bigger and had the toilet, sink and shower with us.

Usually the small sleeper runs $300 per night and the deluxe runs $400 per night. Not per person, just per night. Then add train fair to that.

The tracks in the eastern part of the US can jolt you about, especially at night. You've got to store luggage inside the room with you and one of the cubbies is above your head next to the upper bunk. Though there is an attendant to help you with that chore. He also prepare your bed at night and fixes it in the morning. He'll take your reservation for dinner/lunch.

It's definitely an adventure. If we didn't live so far off the Amtrak system now, I'd still use the train to get to and from the ports.

I have taked the Autotrain many times..... It starts in Lorton, VA and ends in Sanford. FL.....about 20 miles from Orlando, and about 40 miles from Port Canaveral.

It is non stop....and takes about 16 hours....and sabes me from driving 995 miles.....

Radio

;) ;)

If you ever sail out of san Diego, then the Amtrak station is just a block and a half away. Easy flat walk. We have done the train 3 times sailing out of SD. We take the Pacific Surfliner from Fullerton also as one other poster said.

Mike

I have done the autotrain twice and would highly recommend it but do count on delays. I like to take it if I will be spending 2 weeks or more in Florida as it saves on rental costs. I watch for AAA sales and have taken the kids free both times. Usually it costs me less than flying and renting cars.

AAA has very good discounts on Amtrak fares. Also, they have senior citizen discounts as well. I don't know if the discounts apply to anything more than basic fares, but it is worth a look....

--Judy

Judy....it is so funny for me to see "Judy & Steve" My husband and I are "Judi & Steve" just had to tell you this!!!

I am coming from Nashville - we would have to change trains twice, but as a seasoned traveler I think I can handle that...not terrible layovers or anything...

What train(s) are you considering? I didn't think Nashville had rail service any more. Amtrak's website only shows a Greyhound station.

You better take the train soon if you're going to at all.

The Republican-led Congress is trying to cut the funding to the point that Amtrak will essentially go bankrupt and will have to abandon the whole Southeast along with the "autotrain".

They've wanted to eliminate public transportation forever and this year it looks like they'll have their chance.

If you like train travel, now would be a good time to contact your US Representative and Senators.

Archived