anyone ever AMTRAKed to the port?

We took the auto-train from Virginia to Orlando before our last cruise. This was an interesting experience. We stayed in a room which could "easily accomodate three people with bathroom", well this particular cabin had a bunk bed which came down from the ceiling, and a couch that pulled out to a bed, and a chair that I believe reclined but I can't remember for sure. For some reason we only got two pillows so we went some of the empty two people rooms and got some. The train itself was nice, with a dining room and a lounge with a small television and a smoking room down below. The hallways were very small, but that can be expected on a train. However, our trip down was extremely bumpy, and our tablemates for breakfast the morning we got off in Orlando said that they frequently did the same route on the auto-train and this ride was the bumpiest they had ever encountered. Also, if you get a room with a bathroom, the toilet is in the same area as the shower and it has a lid on it to sit down on while showering. The shower kept going on and off for some reason but we survived as there are public restrooms availible on the train as well. We ended up cancelling our return reservation and driving back instead since my mom did not get a good nights sleep that night and it just wasn't worth it to us. But it was a nice experience overall and should be experienced at least once.

Archived