Food in port? Take food from the ship?

Texas Trio

We sail 7/10 on Elation, two families with kids ages 13, 9, 7, and two 3's. I hope this post isn't too gross. Hopefully other mommies will understand where I am coming from. We went to Playa del Carmen a few years ago and only ate on property at our all inclusive resort and still had a case of Montezuma's revenge the day after we got home.

The idea of three kids with "potty problems" on the ship or during the drive home is not appealing. I was thinking about taking snacks from home or the breakfast buffet on the ship to get us through the shore excursions. I don't want my kiddos to be too hungry and unhappy either. We are thinking about doing the Caye Culker snorkle in Belize and going to either Chankannaab or Paridise Beach in Coz. Is this something I should be worried about? What do other families do?

Thanks!

I was thinking about taking snacks from home or the breakfast buffet on the ship to get us through the shore excursions.
Most ports have regulations prohibiting taking food off the ship. Pre-packaged items like crackers should be ok, but no sandwiches or fresh fruit.

We ALMOST ALWAYS will order from room service the night before a port - and get a couple of sandwiches, and several cookies and brownies (we take ZIPLOC baggies in our luggage for this very purpose!)...

I have found that CCL is usually more concerned with what you bring back on the ship, rather than what you take off - though I have heard of food items being confiscated from people when they get off the ship in ports... nothing ventured, nothing gained (they will not throw you in the brig... lol)

I usually can claim (fake? ! ?) ignorance pretty well, just in case...:D

... having said that - no doubt there exists a SMALL risk of being checked by overzealous local authorities, who could make your visit something to remember!!!:eek:

Tom

I would think that a few of the small boxes of cereal would be ok and as others have said pre-packaged items are alright. Peanut butter and cracker packages, "cheese" spread and cracker packages etc...things the kiddieos would like....juice boxes....You could bring those with you from home.

Another thought would be PB&J "squeezers" available through a local preparedness store would be great...then you would only have to buy some bread while in port.

SAVE THE TUMMIES!!!!

I understand you, Mom. :eek: I have four sons and I hate to think we might be sick from eating. We are visiting Paradise Beach in Mid July. I have been reading these boards since December and EVERYONE assures me (and others) that food and water there is not only wonderful, but very SAFE! :)

During our Belize port of call, I am thinking of taking sandwiches packed from room service the night before. Information about food and water there is more questionable!:confused:

I haven't decided aqbout Progresso --we plan to do a ruin excursion so I may pack food for here too!:o

Good luck and enjoy your trip!:)

Archived