Alaskan Cruise w/7 month old

rachnr

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and cruising to Alaksa in July on the Celebrity Solstice with my then 7 month old. I haven't cruised in many many years, so I'm looking for advice on cruising with a baby of that age, plus experience with Celebrity with babies, plus Alaska w/her. I'm aware it won't be the most relaxing vacation, but my husband and I are traveling with 3 adult family members - so plenty of people to watch her. And while I'd like to do some of the fun things Alaska has to offer, I'm not a thrillseeker...mostly there to look at scenery, spend time with family, do sort of chill things anyway.

Due to family circumstances she's had to travel a lot and has been awesome. Many flights and long car trips, and she's always happy to sit in her seat and look around or nap. Obviously we expect she won't always be so content, but we are hyper-aware of how she might be affecting people around us, so we plan on always making sure we're in situations where one of us can easily take her out of the area, back to our room, etc.

General cruise-wise, we plan on bringing a Pack & Play and it looks like an inflatable tub would be a good investment? She will also still be in her infant carseat so I'm trying to decide if we should bring her stroller the seat snaps into (it's a bigger stroller - a Baby Jogger City Select for those of you who are familiar) or get a smaller umbrella stroller. We will also bring her Baby Bjorn for walking around on- and off-ship. Is there anything else gear-wise that would be recommended?

Finally, any advice on good excursions? We know she won't get a lot out of them, but we're basically looking for things that will be safe where she can be in her stroller, carseat, or Bjorn. As long as they are more in the 3-4 hour range I think she'll be okay hanging out and/or napping.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

If your daughter will be 7 months in July, then she's about 4 months now. A LOT can change in 3 months with a child this age! Plan as well as you can now, but be prepared to make changes and be flexible. She may be content to sit now, but if she's crawling by then, she may not want to stay still for very long at all. You may be adding solids to her diet between now and then, and you'll have to wait and see how she does with them to determine what you might have to take with you and what you might be able to find on board for her to eat. And of course, the diapers change when you start solids too! :eek:

You will see how she gradually changes over the next couple of months, and adjust your expectations accordingly. Even so, be prepared for anything! My nephew was 9 months when we went on a family cruise, and chose that week to start walking, which created a lot of extra stress for his parents, trying to keep him out of trouble, keep him from falling and getting hurt, etc. You just never know with babies! Also, take every baby medicine you can imagine that you will need, just in case. You usually can't find them on the ship, and you just never know when your baby might catch a cold or start teething.

Have a great cruise! I love Alaska... as you can see from my signature! :cool:

I'm not sure how wide your stroller is, but I wouldn't use a small umbrella stroller w/a 7month old as an alternative. I just think it would be too uncomfortable and at least I know my son wouldn't have taken quality naps in one. We brought the Maclaren Quest on our last couple of cruises and it worked out well. It was compact and reclined. I would go for something a little more substantial like that, but not as cumbersome as a full size stroller.

Alaskan cruises have lots of family friendly things shore excursions. In Juneau, there's whale watching or visiting Mendenhall glacier. In Ketchikan, there's the lumberjack shows or the totem poles. In Skagway, there's lots of shopping as well as dog sled puppies, panning for gold etc.

Most cruiselines will supply a crib or pack and play for a baby or toddler. Check with Celebrity.

Definitely get a balcony. Alaskan cruises are much more about the scenery than other cruises. This will also give you a place to go when she is having a nap or going to sleep.

Things I recall about traveling with DD at that age: keeping to her sleep schedule was key, which meant bed by 6:30-7 plus naps at 9 and 1. She would not nap well in a stroller or on the plane, which made flight days stressful to say the very least. Take that into consideration when planning your excursions. The good thing was that she was always happy to be pushed around in her stroller (we traveled with her BOB) or carried in the Baby Bjorn. Hiking, sightseeing, meals in restaurants, all worked, as long as we respected her sleep schedule. On the cruise ship you'll probably want to look at an early dining time or alternate dining arrangements, unless you hire a sitter to stay in the room. Travel is different once you have kids, but it can be great! We are going to Alaska for the first time in May with DD and her grandma, we are excited for the adventure, but know having her with us will change the trip from what we would have done pre-kiddos.

Good luck!

Archived