calypso bands

ELVISKL

Really Beachbum?? It only takes a minor typo to send you onto a tailspin of confusion ?? That's kinda sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it now, your a troll! I just clicked you name to find all of your recent post and it looks like you just go around posting BS and insults all day. nice!

I'm not really confused. I was just having a little fun. And no, I'm not a troll. What you've apparently mistaken as "BS" and insults is just me trying to inject a little humor here and there. Sorry if you don't see it that way. Have a nice day.

As someone who was born and raised in a Caribbean island, I can assure you that it's not. They may be some people's version of "Caribbean" music, but it's not a completely accurate assesment.

Tapi makes a very good point as do many others. There needs to be a mix so everyone can enjoy something. Live "Caribbean" bands and a DJ. JMHO... And turn off that big arse TV. :eek:

How do you know this?

Have you been sailing Carnival long enough to remember the full Calypso bands? If not, ask a friend approximately when they disappeared. If so, think of all of the Carnival ships that were in service at that time. Each and every one of those ships demonstrably had room to accommodate the full Calypso band that used to perform onboard, and they still do. This is a fake smoke screen argument from John Heald and others to try and justify their cutback.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

We were on the Liberty in March and that was my biggest disappointment. I love the sounds of the steel drums. This is what gets me in the mood for my cruise, not a DJ. If they are going to use a DJ then at least play some calypso music. This plus the many cuts I noticed have made me rethink if I want to cruise Carnival anymore. We are on the NCL Breakaway April 30 and I will use this as my guide to what line we book next.

I was on the Liberty March 22 and that DJ Dork was bad. That was a disapointment and also the food. I have been on 8 Carnivals.We will be looking for a different line.

But photographers generate incremental revenue. Bands, not so much!

As for the topic at hand, music is clearly something that is an individual taste. Any cruiseline is challenged to provide a wide range of music for diverse guests while keeping costs low.

Myself, I find steel drum music very annoying (I can take it for about 5 minutes) and so I would retreat to other areas where I could enjoy myself in peace. I liked not having them on my last cruise, and I spent more time by the pool, and therefore closer to the bars! I know that I am not alone in this, but I fully respect that others really like that music, to the point of expecting it. Somewhere in the middle is a good compromise.

Are you not contradicting yourself?? You say photographers generate money, bands "not so much".....then you state that on your last cruise you spent more time "by the pool, and therefore closer to the bars"??? Were you drinking?? Don't drinks cost you the pax $$$ ???

FYI - alcohol is the biggest revenue generator on a ship.....far superceding the sales of photographs. Pretty silly statement ! There have been many many threads on the removal of reggae/calypso live bands....this conversation is NOT new and an overwhelming majority of those posting wanted them BACK!! Yes, they generate ALOT of $$$ by being located near the bars, with wait staff roaming all over offering DOD or any libation you want.....this generates TONS of money as you just insinuated!!!

We vote to bring back the live reggae/calypso steel drum bands BIG TIME!!!

Edited by buddylover