Looking for great snorkeling but 1 can't swim.

Neowind

Ok I have a odd situation. I am looking for a good place to Snorkel in Cozumel that would allow me to snorkel and my wife to either stay on the boat or on the beach. I would really like to see some Hard coral formation and schooling fish such as Anthias or Chromis and Tangs. I would love to see some Angels also. Does anyone know a charter or snorkeling trip that has a reduced fee for people who just want to watch? Or maybe a beach that has above average snorkeling?

I just put a lengthy complimentary review of Nachi Cocom on the "Cozumel in August" thread. They offer a snorkeling excursion while you're there... Your wife can hang out at the beach and have drinks at the swim-up bar while you're gone for 1-1/2 hrs... There were lots of people reading books & magazines and just lounging. They load a group into a large ferry-type boat and go out to a reef; I'm not sure which one but maybe you can find out and see if it's what you're looking for.

I know I sound like I work there or own the place!! heehee

I am just still on my cruise "high"... just got back 2 days ago!

I was just really happy with the place... Just to let you know, there is no air conditioning though if that is difficult for your wife. There was plenty of shade and fans though.

Good luck!

I'm not familiar with the snorkeling tour at Nachi Cocom but from your description it sounds like what they call in the dive business around here a "cattle boat". A large number of people doesn't make for a very good snorkeling experience.

I would suggest you plant you wife at Dzul Ha Beach Club while you shore snorkel. Or if you want to do a boat trip, the one from Playa Palancar is going to be a smaller group. The only problem with these boat snorkeling tours from the south part of the island is that they only go to one reef, Palancar, and not only is it a long way down and difficult to see a lot but its can be a tough snorkel and a little overwhelming for some people.

For boat snorkeling if you are truly interested in a quality experience, try one of the small, private tours you'll see advertised various places. They should go to three southern reefs and one should be Columbia Shallows.

They charge for an extra person on the boat whether they snorkel or not because they're taking up a seat that could have been given to someone else. I'm sure you understand.

So if I were you, I would try to get an early start and head for Dzul Ha and/or Corona Beach Club and snorkel while your wife enjoys herself in the shade of a palapa, sips a drink, reads a paperback and luxuriates in the gorgeous view.

Archived