5- & 8-y/o- carseats/boosters to/from hotel/airport/ship & in Bermuda??

cruising-w/kids?

Hi all- newbie here! I have only been on 1 cruise, way before kids.

I now have a 5-y/o and an almost-8-y/o, and am traveling on NCL Breakaway on 5/26. It only just occurred to me that I'd not thought at all about the carseat issue on this trip. :o We'd planned on taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Times Square, from our hotel to the ship the next day, and hadn't even thought about what to do if we travel in a taxi/shuttle/whatever one does on excursions or exploring on our own in Bermuda.

So... what are our options? Hubs thinks I'm nuts for thinking of carrying even boosters with us to put in the taxis in NYC. Are taxis exempt from the carseat law?? Are there other options besides taxis? What do people do as far as taxis when they are in other countries?? Thanks!

This article is 2 years old but states car seats are not required in taxis or buses in Bermuda.

http://thekidsarepacked.blogspot.com/2011/03/car-seat-laws.html

This site talks about NYC taxis

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1138210-nyc-taxis-carseat-needed-baby.html

Not required doesn't change the laws of physics, nor does it change the poor belt placement on a young child in a taxi. There is a good reason boosters are required by law til age 8 in many states. It is not just to make the car seat manufacturers richer...

Hi all- newbie here! I have only been on 1 cruise, way before kids.

I now have a 5-y/o and an almost-8-y/o, and am traveling on NCL Breakaway on 5/26. It only just occurred to me that I'd not thought at all about the carseat issue on this trip. :o We'd planned on taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel in Times Square, from our hotel to the ship the next day, and hadn't even thought about what to do if we travel in a taxi/shuttle/whatever one does on excursions or exploring on our own in Bermuda.

So... what are our options? Hubs thinks I'm nuts for thinking of carrying even boosters with us to put in the taxis in NYC. Are taxis exempt from the carseat law?? Are there other options besides taxis? What do people do as far as taxis when they are in other countries?? Thanks!

I have children the same age and we travel with boosters or make arrangements for transportation that does not require a seatbelt, like a bus. Even though laws may exempt use, it doesn't mean that your children won't be seriously injured if you are in a collision. If you're in NYC there are great trauma centres, but I have no idea what a trauma centre looks like in the Bahamas and I don't want to find out!

People here will tell you two things: 1. The "I survived without a car seat as a kid, I travelled with my kids on my lap and they were fine, the laws in the Caribbean aren't as strict as the US or Canada" etc. and 2. People like me who believe in doing everything we can to keep our kids safe while enjoying a new country. Ultimately it is your choice, but people do travel with car seats and boosters, and do find seatbelts or alternate forms of transportation that are safe for children.

I think the travel booster seat suggestion earlier was a great one, so this is an additional thought, not meant to take the place of that one.

Taxis are readily available in Bermuda, but many people choose to use a combination of public buses and ferrys as they are safe, easy to use, and much cheaper. Although with 4 of you the price difference vs. a taxi wouldn't be as much as it would be for a smaller group. You can decide which way you want to go, but either of those options will likely be more cost effective and offer more flexibility than ship excursions. Bermuda is quite easy to DIY and there are a lot of good suggestions posted in various threads both here and on the Bermuda port board.

Archived