If you only have 12hours what is the best snorkeling site to hit?

Neowind

I have 12 hours to spend here in what appears to be a beautiful island. My Wife cannot swim so she will want to stay ashore and be comfy and safe. I will be getting off a cruise ship and taking a Taxi to a reef of what most will recommend. So what would be the best 1 or 2 reefs for snorkeling and hopefully have a decent place to hang out on shore.

As someone who has been to Grand Cayman to stay(not as part of a cruise) 17 times I would suggest taking a charter boat or catamaran from Georgetown(where the ship will most likely dock) to Rum Point. Your wife could enjoy sunbathing on the boat while you snorkel at stingray city and the reefs around it, and then they usually take you over to the beach at Rum Point. Someone I would recommend taking is Captain Clinton Ebanks...you could look him up on the internet and call him before you leave to set up a time for him to pick you up. If you're not looking to spend a lot of time on the boat you could hop a cab to a place called Eden Rock. Eden Rock is a dive center, but is actually quite nice to snorkel from shore. Only problem there being there isn't a beach for your wife, but there is plenty of shopping within walking distance :) Another thing would be to take a cab to Cheeseburger Reef which is just off of the Georgetown Burger King. It has a wreck close by the reef and makes a great snorkeling stop...and once again not much of a beach but GREAT shopping close. Remember: All beach access is public so don't let them charge you just because you came off of the really big ships.:p No trip to Grand Cayman is complete without spending time on 7-mile beach...although as of now its not quite as beatiful due to the hurricane that destroyed alot of the island:( You mentioned your wife would want to be comfy and safe...I would reassure her that it is a VERY safe island and that anywhere along 7-mile beach is comfy! Enjoy your time there and have a fantastic cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

You won't need to take a taxi from the tender pier to Eden Rock. It's in walking distance. You just turn right and on the main road and walk along the shoreline (heading south). But before you get there, directly across from the Hard Rock Cafe you'll see an area with picnic benches and a hut with a red roof renting snorkel equipment. This is the Abanks Diving Center. There are steps going into the water from there and there were tons of fish in the water. You didn't even have to swim out to the reef to see the fish. Great site. You can ask in at the dive center or at Eden Rock Dive Center for other places. They're very helpful and give directions. I have a website with lots of information for you but I won't be able to paste th link til tomorrow.

Archived