Door to door luggage

cruise pair

HELP WANTED PLEASE !!!!!:confused::confused: We are going on our 2nd cruise this year and sailing from Southampton. We have been able to get Regional flights and have got limited luggage weight restrictions. We are sailing on Celebrity Eclipse doing the Baltic Cruise . Has anybody done a Door to Door Luggage and with which company are you doing it with!!!!! it would take away the hassle of lugging suitcases at the airports train stations etc but really not sure HELP greatly needed thank you

I've never used such service as the few times I've checked out rates the costs were extremely high - much higher than the related luggage fees would be.

I've seen ads for different companies that do this from time to time, but in their Winter 2013 Captain's Club newsletter Celebrity indicated at new program where they were apparently sponsoring a new vendor with info at www.luggageforward.com/celebritycruises

The page of the newsletter which included the advertisement for this is at the following link:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e155d66a#/e155d66a/13

We used luggage forward to send a duffel bag from Los Angeles to Key West- had no problems at all. Company has excellent communication.

I am using them again to send 2 large suitcases to Rome for upcoming Reflection cruise. Hefty price, but because we are traveling by train throughout Italy before cruise, we just can't lug around heavy luggage- 2 small rolling duffels for that. Delta allows 2 check ins per person without charge for US to Europe. So we will just have to shlep luggage to ship from Rome in our taxi. We will need some of the stuff in the suitcases while in Rome for 4 days before cruise, otherwise we would have sent the suitcases directly to the ship.

If you are in a situation where it is just too dificult to do the standard bags on airplane:

Two years ago we spent a week snorkling our way through the Florida Keys. Besides our 2 mid size suitcases we had a duffle with our snorkle stuff and wet suits. Our stuff was "too smelly" (clean, but I didn't want ocean stuff mixed with our regular clothes, and just took up too much room in a suitcase. Our flight was in and out of Key West, where you cannot check it more than one suitcase for that airport. And so we used Luggage Forward.

Due to our combining a land tour of Italy using the trains- before cruise, as I stated above, it is just too dificult for us to lug two big suitcases--It would have been cheaper if we could send them from Venice to Rome, but due to sightseeing our time is just too limited to waste a day making sure that the luggage is picked up from hotel. And so, reluctantly, we are shiping the luggage "forward" from the states.

Of course, the cost is ridiculous, if you are able to just schlep luggage the regular way---then I am too cheap/broke what have you to make use of this service. But at least it does exist for when you have no other recourse.

We are spending a week in Rome/Tuscany before Reflection cruise. Other than this service, any ideas on if there is a way to get a suitcase to the ship early, as we would prefer not to schlep it for the week of travel - but want it for the cruise??

We have used the baggage handling company a few times as we drive to Southampton they work out at £60a case and pick up a couple of days before you leave and they appear outside your cabin you then have to collect them before customs and once through they are collected and arrive back at your home a day or so late, we find it's so much easier as there are 5 of us and even with a large car it's a bit squashed so would highly recommend them.

Unfortunately, we only have 1 1/2 days for Venice. Otherwise we would have saved alot of money and just have luggage sent from our Venice hotel. Why don't you call Luggage Forward company and see if they could arrange a suitable time for pickup from when you arive in Italy, perhaps at the airport? You can also just go into the local post office and see what they would charge. I checked out every possiblity before giving in and giving Luggage Forward my business. At least they are great to work with.

On another note, by any chance will you be on the June 28 sailing?

thank you all for your replays i have looked into a few luggage sites and are considering the baggage handling company but will research a bit more it makes sense to do this no handling of cases on flights trains this is brilliant

For those of you that used this service from the US to Europe can you plese answer a few questions? I'm going from the US to Southamption and back.

1. From the US to Southampton, is the suitcase delivered to the cabin or do you have to claim it at the port first then give it to a porter?

2. From Southampton to the US, what is the process? Do you have to claim the case on the dock, go thru customs and then take the case to a certain area of the port?

Thanks for your help!

Hal

Archived