Cinque Terre from Livorno HELP PLEASE!

yvonneh

Hi,

I have researched and have read so much mixed information on the best way to get to Riomaggiore (or Monterosso) from the Livorno port. I really would like to rent a car and DIY and have made sure there was one available on that Sunday we will be there.

However, many say to take the train through Le Spezia, and do not rent a car. I want to make sure I can find a place to park in the middle of summer on a Sunday when we arrive there. It seems renting a car is the fastest way to get there, rather than getting to the train station, waiting on a train, then the time it takes to get there. Renting a car at the port and heading off sounds a much quicker way there and returning to me!???:confused:

Would someone please tell me what you would recommend from experience?

Also which town is best to begin?

Hi,

I have researched and have read so much mixed information on the best way to get to Riomaggiore (or Monterosso) from the Livorno port. I really would like to rent a car and DIY and have made sure there was one available on that Sunday we will be there.

However, many say to take the train through Le Spezia, and do not rent a car. I want to make sure I can find a place to park in the middle of summer on a Sunday when we arrive there. It seems renting a car is the fastest way to get there, rather than getting to the train station, waiting on a train, then the time it takes to get there. Renting a car at the port and heading off sounds a much quicker way there and returning to me!???:confused:

Would someone please tell me what you would recommend from experience?

Also which town is best to begin?

Well, I've never driven to the Cinque Terre, but we did take the train there - and to me, the train is just so easy, I can't even see myself considering driving there. If you take the train, you can get a ticket at La Spezia that allows you to ride the trains between the villages all day, so you can hop on and hop off at will. If you drive, however, you have to go to the rental office, fill out the paperwork, get the car, find your way with maps, etc., drive along sometimes winding roads, find parking, then find your way back, worrying about traffic, looking for a gas station to fill up before you return your rental... yeah, I'm all for driving when it makes sense, but after the lovely, relaxing time we had riding trains in Italy, I just can't see driving for this particular trip. Oh, and remember: the driver has to focus on driving and the road, while if you take the train, both of you can be looking at the sights, reading guidebooks, etc.

ETA: A Google search showed up this article: http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/10-09/driving-and-parking-in-cinque-terre-italy.html I can so identify with the author...:D

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most stunning places to see in Italy, unforgettable, BUT I would take a tour ,to fit it all in and know where you are going and what not to miss ,access is tricky, certainly for driving, our tour went by bus , walk into the first Village then walk to more , along the beautiful coast , the ferries were unable to run due to high seas, as is the case quite often...and train back to Livorno. Far more enjoyable when someone else does the planning...It is a very full ,whole day tour to see everything.. Enjoy..

Archived