Swimming on Canadian Cruises

justloud

That's a question that is totally relative.

If you are from the south..no matter how hot it is in July, you more than likely won't be swimming in Canada. On the ship, the air will be drastically cooler on this cruise than on a Caribbean cruise as well because the ocean temperatuer is cooler. For someone like me who has ice for blood, swimming in the Atlantic up north (where you are lucky...VERY lucky IF the ocean reaches 70 degrees) on a very hot day, is absolute bliss. I like to go in the ocean to get refreshed...I totally dislike warm water...unless I'm in a bathtub. ;)

Most of the time when we have guests...even ones from Pennsylvania, they put one toe in the ocean here in Southern Maine and run in the opposite direction... My sister in law from Florida wears sweaters up here in August (what a wimp! ;) ) I'll stay in the ocean all day, until I get literally all tingly and numb. I LOVE it!! The beaches here are filled in the summer, but only the Mainers and the visiting Canadians are in the ocean. We have thicker blood, I guess :D

Summers up North can get hot...hot being in the 80's...so when you are on land, it will be gorgeous..absolute bliss. Summers don't get any better than what they are up here.

Is it warm enough in July to go swimmming both on the ship and in St. John or Halifax. Are there nice beaches in Canada?:rolleyes:

Justloud......A Warm Welcome to Nova Scotia - my home Province. Here is info on the weather temperatures in Nova Scotia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Weather forecasts and reports in Nova Scotia are given in Celsius measurements. For approximate temperature conversion, use this easy calculation:

Fahrenheit to Celsius: subtract 30 and divide by 2

Celsius to Fahrenheit: multiply by 2 and add 30

Current weather forecasts are available from Environment Canada Weather Centre. Click here for the current forecast or check by phone at (902) 426-9090 (English) or (902) 426-9095 (French) (Please note long distance charges may apply).

Nova Scotia is positioned between 44° and 47° latitude and has a temperate climate. Summer temperatures range from daytime highs of 20° - 25° C (68° - 77° F) to evening lows of 10° - 14° C (50° - 57° F). Invigorating sea breezes near the coast are often best enjoyed with a sweater on or near at hand. Inland the air may be warmer by 5° C (10° F), and lakes, rivers, woods and farms are pleasantly warm. Temperatures in spring and autumn average a pleasant 10° cooler

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may find the water temperatures in the Atlantic Ocean cool:eek: .....but all of us Nova Scotians will most likely be swimming by July. A good local beach is Queensland Beach....but it is a long drive from Pier 21 in Halifax. For more information try this website www.checkinnovascotia.com . Have a wonderful cruise and I know that you will enjoy your visit to Halifax.:)

Donna

Is it warm enough in July to go swimmming both on the ship and in St. John or Halifax. Are there nice beaches in Canada?:rolleyes:

Don't forget to bring a hatchet in case you need to break through the ice before taking a dip. :D

Seriously though, after having discussions with some of my Canadian Navy buddies, the weather during the day should be quite warm while you are out in the gulf stream, but will get quite cool during the evening so pack a good sweater.

As far as beaches go, you won't find anything resembling a Carribean beach, but there will be public beaches that you could go to. Actually, the best Canadian maritime beaches are on Prince Edward Island.

Here is a link that might help.

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/beaches/eshore.html

Turn on your Kitchen faucet, run the cold water for 10-15 seconds, fill up a glass and stick your fingers in. Keep them in for as along as possible...you might last 5 minutes.

Now picture yourself swimming in that water.

Seriously, you'll have fun, but if you are going in July most of that fun will be in Jeans and a T-shirt (shorts if you get some hot weather going). Bring warm clothes...nights at sea will be cold and so will days that aren't bright sun or hazy. Also wear your sunscreen especially on the boat...the sea air is chilly and you won't know that you are burning. You'll be the same color as your Lobster, and have no idea when it happened.

Never been to Halifax, but St. John is a city and due to it's location (right on the open ocean), it can be chilly. Not sure if there are any beaches right nearby, but you can walk the city and won't be far from the ocean at any given time. See the reversing falls. I thought it would be the dumbest thing ever, and I was the one who made us stay until the falls went the other way (like 3 hours)

I was in St. John last July and I think the temperature was 60-65 degrees both days, mostly foggy or overcast with sun in the late afternoons. But the people are nice and the food is good.

Brit.

I was in St. John last July and I think the temperature was 60-65 degrees both days, mostly foggy or overcast with sun in the late afternoons. But the people are nice and the food is good.

Brit.

That is a couple of cool days for midsummer in St John it will probably be warmer by may be even cooler.

oK - So what should I pack for a Canadian cruise on Sept 5th - 10th? I have packing for a Caribean cruise down pat but I'm totally lost for this one.

What kinda weather should I expect?

oK - So what should I pack for a Canadian cruise on Sept 5th - 10th? I have packing for a Caribean cruise down pat but I'm totally lost for this one.

Sept can be warm or cold.. I would pack both for chilly weather and warm.. (not as warm as the caribbean mind you) but a few sweatshirts and sweaters and warm pants would be in order especially for the evenings...

As a native of Halifax the summer is beautiful. It's usually in the mid to high 80's in July. As for the ocean water -- brrrr. Halos is correct about the temps. Maine and Nova Scotia are very similar. There's no swimable beaches in the Halifax area, but if you want to rent a car the best place that's not too far is the South Shore, specifically Queensland Beach. It's a popular place and is about a 40 minute drive from Halifax. There are, however, tons of freshwater lakes in the area, lots of them accessible within a 20-30 minute drive from the pier.

Fewer shorts and tees (couple each), more long pants and light sweaters, heavy sweater or fall jacket for the evenings and maybe those nice nippy mornings.

I would pack both for chilly weather and warm

I'd second that recommendation. Our day in Saint John was cloudy and cool - we needed the blankets on the horse-drawn wagon tour. The next day in Halifax, the temp. was about 80 and the skies were clear - beautiful weather! DH and kids swam on the ship after we returned from our tours, and they found it cool but pleasant. (I settled for a deck chair with a foo-foo drink:D ). As a general rule, I wore a sweatshirt on deck for breakfast (we always ate on the Lido deck near the pools), but ditched the sweats by lunchtime.

my pool isn't heated and the temp is 26 degrees celcius right now. really got to brush the 'great frigid north' myth away. no we don't live in igloos, or take the sled dogs to work....

in fact this past week, the temp was comparable to a the summer temps in miami when we flew down for a couple cruises. it gets hot up here in the summer, i promise i'm not lying.

my pool isn't heated and the temp is 26 degrees celcius right now. really got to brush the 'great frigid north' myth away. no we don't live in igloos, or take the sled dogs to work....

in fact this past week, the temp was comparable to a the summer temps in miami when we flew down for a couple cruises. it gets hot up here in the summer, i promise i'm not lying.

you just had to let the cat out of the bag about our transportation to work...!

My house resembles an igloo... And you just had to confuse them with your pool being 26 degrees Celcius ! :)

LOL

You really should have added in the recent heat wave we suffered through and how now we are back to our winter boots and coats...

Last years weather was a fluke of nature all over north america, lots of rain and cool temps. Not just in Canada.

Lets hope this year is sunnier and warmer. ( sunnier ? Even a word ? ) :confused:

Happy Cruising to Canada

That's a question that is totally relative.

If you are from the south..no matter how hot it is in July, you more than likely won't be swimming in Canada. On the ship, the air will be drastically cooler on this cruise than on a Caribbean cruise as well because the ocean temperatuer is cooler. For someone like me who has ice for blood, swimming in the Atlantic up north (where you are lucky...VERY lucky IF the ocean reaches 70 degrees) on a very hot day, is absolute bliss. I like to go in the ocean to get refreshed...I totally dislike warm water...unless I'm in a bathtub. ;)

Most of the time when we have guests...even ones from Pennsylvania, they put one toe in the ocean here in Southern Maine and run in the opposite direction... My sister in law from Florida wears sweaters up here in August (what a wimp! ;) ) I'll stay in the ocean all day, until I get literally all tingly and numb. I LOVE it!! The beaches here are filled in the summer, but only the Mainers and the visiting Canadians are in the ocean. We have thicker blood, I guess :D

Summers up North can get hot...hot being in the 80's...so when you are on land, it will be gorgeous..absolute bliss. Summers don't get any better than what they are up here.

can you email me please? kwelsh1176 @ msn.com (remove spaces :) ) I have a question for you. Thanks!

Archived