7 month old-First Cruise-Few questions

apwog1985

So we are taking the RCL Jewel of the Sea in June with my family. My DS will be 7 months (actually turn 7 months on the cruise). Anyways I have a few questions. FYI: I am a first time mommy.

1) I read on some other post that people would roll the pack-n-play in the bathroom for LO to seep, I was wondering if people really find it helpful.

2) I know it says you must be potty trained to swim in the pools, but why can't they wear swim diapers?

3) Anything else that is a must for cruising with a small young one.

1. I can't answer his as we are taking our first cruise with DD (2 years) next month. She's too big for a pack n play & will be using the sofa bed. I would think that, if you don't have a balcony this might be a way to still be able to watch tv, have lights on, have some privacy.

2. The pools are not treated with chlorine & cannot be "shocked" because they empty into the ocean. As a result, the risk of bacteria in the water (from poop) is too great. Swim diapers aren't full proof at holding all aspects in. DD loves swimming so we are working very hard at potty training.

3. You will find a few posts about packing lists in this forum. A few things I recall off the top of my head...more diapers & wipes than you think you will use, all baby medications, more formula & baby food than you think you will need, sunblock--our pedi had us us specific sunblock when DD was under 1 (all things that you really can't get on the ship). Take your own pack n play sheet, any "lovies" baby must have, stuff to wash bottles, etc, possibly an inflatable tub (bath & water play).

The bathroom is barely big enough for two adults to be in at the same time, so putting the baby's bed in there is not an option. Besides, it's a bathroom. If you are worried that the baby won't sleep, can you get a balcony room? When we've sailed with our kids, we put them to bed, turned out the lights and then we went and enjoyed a glass of wine (or 2) on the balcony.

We started sailing with both our kids at 7 months and 8 months so I have been there and done that.

1) We just kept the portable crib or pack in play provided by the cruiseline right next to out bed. It made night time/ early morning awakenings much easier for bottles. I'm not sure it would fit in the bathroom and then what happens if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night? Those toilets are really loud and would definitely wake the baby.

2) The pools are not sanitized, its mainly just sea water used so it could potentially make your baby or others very sick if they ingest any fecal matter. Swim diapers do not contain the stool. The bacteria floats right through it. Bring a blowup mini pool or pick a ship that has a baby splash zone- Disney or some RCI ships

3) Bring all infant meds in liquid form you think you may need as gift shop only has pills. Bring a bottle brush and dish soap to wash out bottles in cabin sink. Bring disposable bibs. Bring plenty of diapers and wipes (bring extra than you think you need).You can ask dining room to puree veggies and fruit for baby but if you are afraid of spices you may want to bring your own jarred food (we always did). Bring a reclining stroller. Try to stick to your baby's eating/napping schedule as much as possible. Be flexible with your plans-if baby is tired just relax in your cabin. Sit in the back of the shows so if you need to make a quick exit you can. Take turns caring for the baby so each of you gets some free time. It can be a very nice family vacation.

Archived