CCL transfer or taxi in San Juan?

ShanteS

I posted this on the San Juan board but wanted fellow Carnival cruisers opinion on the subject too. I know you all see these types of questions fairly often here but I've done some research on the topic and I just wanted some opinions. I'll be getting to San Juan with my daughter (23 months at the time of the cruise) the day of our cruise around noon (the ship sails at 10pm). Anyway, I've been going back and forth on how to get us from the airport to the cruise terminal. Some say taxis are faster and cheaper but I don't think that'll be the case for us. Since she'll still be under 2 she can ride on my lap and a round trip for us on the ship transfer bus will be $30 plus tips. Taxi will be $20.50 plus $1 for bags (2 suitcases and possibly a backpack for me and a small one for her) both ways.

After reading plenty of stories here about cruisers being scammed I don't think it's really worth it. I'd hate to have to argue with a cabbie in front of her. Not to mention I will not be traveling with her carseat so I'm thinking the CCL transfer on the bus would be better. But at the same time the last time I cruised out of San Juan in 2007 we used the CCL transfer and had to wait for quite awhile outside in the heat before we were able to board the bus to go to the terminal. I would HATE for this to happen with a toddler.

So what do you guys and gals think? Ship transfer or taxi?

Definitely a Taxi. They will tell you at the airport how much the fare is. If it will make you feel better just confirm the fare with the driver as he loads your bags what the fare is. If he says something different ask for another Cab.

The taxis in SJ are non-negotiable rate-wise--I don't think you have to worry about arguing in front of her. We used taxis in SJ both ways and paid exactly what the sign posted at the airport stated (plus tip).

I was never concerned about being scammed--just glad to be out of the crazy SJ traffic!

My DH and I are also flying in the day of the cruise. We were initially looking at the Carnival transfer, but decided to take the taxi instead. We chose taxi because we wanted to get to the port faster. As what others have said, we didn't want to wait until the transfer filled up because we're planning to do a bit of sightseeing once we have dropped off our bags on board.

Another vote for the taxi. It's quicker and easier and not much more expensive than the CCL transfer. It's really frustrating waiting for the bus to fill up so it can leave. I'd rather get in a taxi and get to the ship. And I never experienced any scamming in San Juan.

Just got back from our RCI cruise they told me a rate at the airport I handed him that and a tip he said thanks , no problem there or at the hotel . To the airport same thing. They seem to have got better.

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. I'll just plan on us taking a taxi then. And I know they tell you the rate at the stand but I've heard of people being charged some ridiculous prices from the cabbie once they reached their destination. I'll just make sure I have a copy of the rates as well as the slip from the guy at the stand and confirm the price with the driver. Thanks for the replies!

Just got back from our RCI cruise they told me a rate at the airport I handed him that and a tip he said thanks , no problem there or at the hotel . To the airport same thing. They seem to have got better.

Is tipping mandatory? If so, how much? It'll just be my DH and I and we will only have 1 luggage and 1 carry on each.

I understand that it's $1 per luggage, and I'm assuming our carry on is considered 1 piece of luggage too (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!

Is tipping mandatory? If so, how much? It'll just be my DH and I and we will only have 1 luggage and 1 carry on each.

I understand that it's $1 per luggage, and I'm assuming our carry on is considered 1 piece of luggage too (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!

I don't believe tipping is mandatory but it is strongly suggested. You'd tip them just like you'd tip the porters. Just a few dollars should be fine for a few bags.

I believe the fare is $19, $1.50 fuel surchage, and then an additional $1 for each piece of luggage the driver has to load into the trunk (suitcases and any carryons you give to him or her). If it's something you can carry yourself I'd say just keep it with you and take it inside the cab with you.

But make sure you get the slip of paper from the taxi stand and confirm the price with the driver before they pull off. I do not believe there is a taxi stand at the pier after you get off the disembark so again make sure you confirm the price with the driver before you step foot in the taxi.

Does anyone have any idea what the taxi charge will be for 4 people from airport to port? We are flying into San Juan at 11:30AM on day of cruise so was wondering the same thing.

I believe the fare is $19, $1.50 fuel surchage, and then an additional $1 for each piece of luggage the driver has to load into the trunk (suitcases and any carryons you give to him or her).

I guess I should've also mentioned that that is the rate per cab ride not per person. So for 4 people it'll be $20.50 plus $1 for each piece of luggage the cabbie loads into the trunk.

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. I'll just plan on us taking a taxi then. And I know they tell you the rate at the stand but I've heard of people being charged some ridiculous prices from the cabbie once they reached their destination. I'll just make sure I have a copy of the rates as well as the slip from the guy at the stand and confirm the price with the driver. Thanks for the replies!

This won't happen- their system is very fair and regulated. Just ask the price upfront and get the ticket from the dispatcher at the airport. The whole process is super fast and reliable. In 4 trips to San Juan, I've never had a problem with the taxis.

Archived