did E. Caribbean, trying to choose what's next. need input!

we'll be cruising in late July :rolleyes: 2007 due to DH's work schedule. I'd like to maybe do southern caribbean, but checking out our other options. I'm curious about Mexico...to me, having been to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico is Mexico is Mexico. Am i wrong? Are the different ports within Mexico really all THAT different? And is there any ship/class that you would NOT sail on/why? thanks!

it has nothing to do with the economics of the ports of call. it's just that one of my main reasons for choosing to travel on a cruise is to see the different cultures and experience each unique environment. and going to several ports within Mexico seems redundant to me. :confused:

it has nothing to do with the economics of the ports of call. it's just that one of my main reasons for choosing to travel on a cruise is to see the different cultures and experience each unique environment. and going to several ports within Mexico seems redundant to me. :confused:

Do a western. You've got Cozumel, Rotan, Belize, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and probably a couple others I haven't mentioned.

If you're looking for different culture, then yes, Cozumel will be the same as Puerto Vallarta. If you're looking for "each unique environment" then in that aspect Cozumel is as different from Puerto Vallarta as IA is to OH. ;) Same culture, but each unique in what it has to offer.

I honestly don't have any desire to check out Jamaica. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the people, areas, propositions to buy drugs, being physically dragged into shops by shopkeepers, ick. LOL but I supposed I should "never say never" cause if the price was right, possibly. though if I wanted to do Western, I might just be boring and go on the Valor again, we loved it that much. hmmm....I don't remember picking the first cruise being this difficult. is there such a thing as "TOO much information/education"? LOL

If you're looking for different culture, then yes, Cozumel will be the same as Puerto Vallarta. If you're looking for "each unique environment" then in that aspect Cozumel is as different from Puerto Vallarta as IA is to OH. ;) Same culture, but each unique in what it has to offer.

I knew you guys would be helpful in providing new POVs.:) thanks.

I honestly don't have any desire to check out Jamaica. I've heard nothing but bad things regarding the people, areas, propositions to buy drugs, being physically dragged into shops by shopkeepers, ick. LOL but I supposed I should "never say never" cause if the price was right, possibly. though if I wanted to do Western, I might just be boring and go on the Valor again, we loved it that much. hmmm....I don't remember picking the first cruise being this difficult. is there such a thing as "TOO much information/education"? LOL

Mama - Those are valid concerns. Jamaica (Ocho) is beautiful and the only problem we had was when we went to the "open-air" market - which I'd recommend staying away from unless you have a Navy SEAL Team with you ;). We did Dunns River Falls/Cool Runnings aka "The Booze Cruise" and then headed over to Margaritaville and didn't have any problems. Yes, we were offered drugs but really never felt threatened.

the people, areas, propositions to buy drugs, being physically dragged into shops by shopkeepers, ick.

These descriptions fit some places in America as well!

Jamaica is a BEAUTIFUL place to visit. You don't get more back to nature than climbing those falls. And ever since they built the new docks, as opposed to pulling up to the Aluminum factory, getting in and out is very non threatening. Only licenced cabs can pick you up in that area. The "gypsy" cabs are outside the compound. You just have to learn to say no thank you.

And, of couse, all MHO.

is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Most of the negative comments you see are related to O.R.. BTW we were in OR last year and didn't find the shopkeepers any pushier then some you find in Mexico. We just said no thanks and moved on.

And again the Conquest. It goes to Montego Bay, and my understanding is MB is definately NOT Ocho Rios.

I have been to Montego Bay on a land vacation and sure you were asked if you wanted any ganja.. all that was required was a simple NO THANKS... :) Ya Mon just enjoy IRIE!!

Thanks for asking this question Mama :). We are going on the same ship and itin as you (in July) and I am already thinking of what to do next. I think I'll do the western caribbean. I live just north of Mexico and I'm not sure I want to do the 7 day Mexico cruise- I get enough of the culture here ;). But not flying to port sounds nice. Man is it expensive to get to Florida!

Thanks for asking this question Mama :). We are going on the same ship and itin as you (in July) and I am already thinking of what to do next. I think I'll do the western caribbean. I live just north of Mexico and I'm not sure I want to do the 7 day Mexico cruise- I get enough of the culture here ;). But not flying to port sounds nice. Man is it expensive to get to Florida!

Not anymore expensive I am sure as flying from Canada to the states... :) Welcome to our world when we travel...

As is California from here. Fortunatly we are blessed with a large choice from our ports. I would love to do Hawaii with my wife, but the Airfare is much more than the Cruise. I've lived there before it was a state always wanted to check it out (after the gold rush). :cool:

Based on people I know and my own experience, Montego Bay is enjoyed by people who stay at an all-inclusive on a land vacation. We were there in March (was supposed to have been Ocho Rios; itinerary change 2 weeks before cruise) and if going again would stay on the ship. UNLESS you can get a private cab driver to show you the mountains at a reasonable price.

Grand Cayman and Cozumel were awesome.

Have you looked at the "exotic" western carrib itinerary? Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama Canal. On the Liberty.

Look and see what areas fit your climate preferences during the summer. Which port do you prefer to cruise out of? The Pacific Ocean is cooler than the Atlantic. Therefore, the west coast is much cooler in the summer than the east coast. I would recommend a cruise from LA to Cabo San Lucas because the pacific will give you some relief from the heat. Perhaps LA to Hawaii would be nice. There are lots of cruises off California. There is even a fun 4 night cruise to San Diego, Catalina Island, and Ensenada. Enjoy a few days at the California coast before coming home.

Cruises from New York and Boston to Bermuda are nice if you want something tropical. There are several cruises to New England that include stops in Martha's Vineyard, Boston, Maine, and Nova Scotia which would be nice in July.

We were in New Orleans the first week in June a few years ago and spent most of our time in our hotel after 11am because the heat and humidity was so oppresive (95). I would stay away from eastern Mexico in the summer. It is very hot. If you definetely want the caribbean, then try something in the Eastern caribbean where the islands are far away from the heat of mainland Mexico. Don't forget the caribbean has lots of rain showers during the summer. Watch the weather before booking anything.

we'll be cruising in late July :rolleyes: 2007 due to DH's work schedule. I'd like to maybe do southern caribbean, but checking out our other options. I'm curious about Mexico...to me, having been to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico is Mexico is Mexico. Am i wrong? Are the different ports within Mexico really all THAT different? And is there any ship/class that you would NOT sail on/why? thanks!

Hey MamaPH

Glad you had a Great time on your cruise!!!!!

Think about Western. Ocho was great but I only made it to Jimmy Buffett's!!!:p Hare of the dog ya know!!!;) I was pretty recked from the night before's party as we left Grand Cayman!!!:eek: Jimmy has his own beach with no hastle's!!! Pool was fun with a swim up bar!! Oh Yea!!! So I used Ocho as a party port!!! And we did!!!! Cozumel and Grand Cayman were awesome!!!! Love it so much I am doing it again!!!! And yes a couple of taxi drivers ask if I wanted anything in Ocho but I just winked and told them I was set and got left alone was not as big of a thing as the boards make it out to be. But I did not leave Jimmy's so I can not say how the rest of Ocho is but Jimmy's is GREAT!!!!!!!

With a screen name like MamaParrotHead you have to go and check out Jimmy's Bar!!! I think he has 3 on the Island!!! Ocho's is Very Nice!!!

talk to you soon kid!!

Archived