To those that have cruised Carnival & Celebrity

TrqoisWtrs

I've done a couple on both lines and there are differences, but I enjoy each line for their differences. Celebrity has better food - the waffles in the breakfast buffet are to die for; extremely good service and a quiet elegance. The atmosphere is more subdued though. I really believe it depends upon the ship and the destination not the cruise line itself. Where are you going and what ship are you looking at? Laurie

I love them both. Food is definitely better on Celebrity but it will be more gourmet. Some posters prefer plain cooking on the order of an American style family restaurant and won't like Celebrity but I love it. The ships are beautiful on Celebrity and service very good. I don't like Celebrity guest relations at alland their children's program was lacking which, thank God, we have outgrown. Definitely not as lively as Carnival but very pampering. I thought Celebrity entertainment was very good, however.I would return to Celebrity in a heartbeat except their itineraries don't suit me. So, for the time being, Carnival is getting my money. You should do Celebrity if for no other reason than to see what different lines are like. Have fun!!!!

I am nearly 59, have sailed both Carnival and Celebrity. MUCH prefer the atmosphere and entertainment on Carnival. Found both the staff and guests on Celebrity quite prtentious and yes hubby wore a tux and I the same definatly formal dress I wore to DDs wedding so we do clean up quite well. I even found Carnival's food more to my taste and I do like/eat things like escargot and calmari.

Have sailed with Celebrity twice, Carnival once. There are pros and cons to both lines. I believe any cruise is what you make of it so if your expectations are set correctly, you'll have a blast.

The only negatives I found with Celebrity were the lack of night-life. The ship is rather quiet after the evening show and we found ourselvevs wandering with nothing to "do" . Made ourselves happy by strolling the deck & stargazing which was fine for my husband and I (but not those that like to dance until dawn.) Food & atmosphere wonderful. The ships had an elegant but relaxed atmosphere, the food gourmet, the service very good.

Carival food does not compare nor do the ships have the same elegant feel. However we enjoy the late night comics and the "fun" atmosphere.

Bottom line - whoever can take me away from "land" I'll happily book with and have a marvelous time.

We are both 50-something and have sailed both lines. I love the upbeat, fun, relaxed atmosphere on Carnival.

But the service, cuisine and decor on Celebrity is far superior. I thought Celebrity guests were about the same age range as Carnival (perhaps slightly more mature), but clearly more upscale.

I will sail and enjoy both lines again, but there are definitely differences.

I love Carnival, but happened on a great price for a cruise on Celebrity. Any huge differences? I love Carnival's 24 hour pizza and the more casual feel of their ships. Age range on Celebrity? thanks for any info!
We've sailed 'em both...and loved 'em both... The age range on Celebrity seemed much older, than on Carnival...I thought that the food was a little better on Celebrity but the service was about the same...IMHO, Carnival was a bit more fun, though I can wholeheartedly recommend either line....hope this helps!:D

I like both but had more FUN on Carnival. That being said I am 29 and found that the average age was not even CLOSE to my age group on the Celebrity. The service to me was the same but the food was MUCH better on Celebrity. Celebrity does not have a midnight buffet except the last night at sea. It is much quieter and the events on the boat were not aimed to please my age group. So I laid out a lot......and LOVED it LOL....I recommend both. I did notice that Carnival has bigger rooms. Celebrity was more upscale and a nice boat. I'd recommend both really.

Have sailed on both and each has it's special "magic" . . . I loved my Celebrity cruise on Galaxy . . . but I also had a fantastic time on Carnival's Triumph. Celebrity is a little more . . . for lack of a better word . . . "refined" and laid back. Carnival is hustle/bustle . . . very active. Food and service on Celebrity, in my opinion, was better than Carnival. Activities and night life on Carnival, in my opinion, was better than Celebrity. Would sail on either line again in a heart beat . . . as a matter of fact . . . I'll be sailing with Carnival next April. :p

I've sailed on both and I think the itinerary is the main reason I like one cruise over the other. The ambiance on Celebrity is more classy, less brassy, but I didn't think the food was that much different (especially on Carnival Alaska). I think both CC and Celebrity are much better than HAL. If I could have the corner FV cabin on the Millie ships every time, I would never sail anyone but Celebrity. Since I'm traveling with 10 family members, Carnival was a better value, plus Camp Carnival trumps Celebrity. We also wanted to stop in Sitka this time because of a family friend who lives there. So I would choose based on cost and itinerary - either line - you will have a great time.

Both are GREAT!!!!! We were on Carnival Spirit for 31 days (lucky us). Prior on Spirit for 14 days. ALL THE STAFF WERE WONDERFUL AND PROFESSIONAL----probably thought we were workers on ship?

We have been on Celebrity Zenith 5 times-------love the smaller ships. The Millenium was too glitzy and big for us.

Food was great on both lines------------------DOES everyone cook, eat and clean up every day at home with these menus???? If so, invite me!!!! What are people thinking?

We do not want to pay for so many lounges, glitz, so-called art hanging on walls----we want itinerary----------vacation w/out computers, BUT that's us and our opinion on this. We are not "CHEFS"--we are happy with our food---------NEVER a problem on either line. Enough from me.------Happy Cruising---ALWAYS!!!!! Taco

cruisingater-yes we booked a 5 nighter out of Miami. Our TA said this is one of the first 5 nighters Celebrity is trying. He said they are trying to break into this cruise market of the shorter trips and the prices are 'crazy!' We got an oceanview (window, not porthole) room on the Zenith for $350 (brochure $1399) :eek: :eek: :D .

It's pretty basic for me- I just have more fun on Carnival :)

Specifics: Celebrity is probably 1-2 steps up, food and service are outstanding, everyone seems to want to tell you how much $$$ they make (passengers) and seem snobby. We did meet some nice folks and still keep in contact, but their is a big difference and material things just don't do it for me; actually it quite irritates me. The big plus is that I rarely saw a child on board :D

Carnival has too many kids :( , a better nightlife, a topless deck :), great selection and quality of food, pretty good service, bigger cabins, better value for your $$$, more itineraries to choose from, and overall a much more fun experience.

I have done both. Celebrity is more elegant, low key, with great food and service and offers a more subdued experience. The SPR (space to passenger ratio) is much higher on X so their ships never feel crowded. Not as many kids either which is a big plus for me.

The X ships have a much more upscale feel and passengers do dress for dinner and the evening activities. Carnival is much more casual.

If you like Carnival because of the constant activities, pool games, decor and always available food, as well as the nightlife, you may be disppointed. If you enjoy martini bars and sommeliers who know a Brunello from a Bardolino, Celebrity would be more your style. Celebrity is a bit quiet in the evenings but this is dependent on the ship as well.

I really like Celebrity for all the above reasons but then Carnival has never been a good fit for me.

cruisingater-yes we booked a 5 nighter out of Miami. Our TA said this is one of the first 5 nighters Celebrity is trying. He said they are trying to break into this cruise market of the shorter trips and the prices are 'crazy!' We got an oceanview (window, not porthole) room on the Zenith for $350 (brochure $1399) :eek: :eek: :D .

HOLY CR*P!!

Great Price!!!!!!! I'd have tried to get a back to back with that price!!

Nice Going!!!! :D

For us, hands down its Celebrity. IMHO, Celebrity is actually better for small children than Carnival. We took our almost 2 year old and our 5 month old this time, on Celebrity our oldest was 10 months. Carnival offers very little for under 2 year olds, yes they have group babysitting starting at 10 pm but for us it is useless b/c they are already asleep. Celebrity has in cabin babysitting. So last year DH and I went out every night but on this cruise we were in our cabin for the night after early seating dinner. Carnival is very loud at night, we had drunk people screaming down the halls until 3-4 am. Carnival is too crazy for the little ones, its too hard to manuever a stroller with all the people around. Everyone else said it about the food, this past cruise the food on Carnival was horrible, but it was a 2 nighter so maybe they slacked a little, not that it should matter. Celebrity also provides formula and babyfood and toys. I do agree Celebrity's itineraries are not so great for Carribbean right now.

If you want to party party party and feel like you are back in college, Carnival is the way to go, if you want more quiet relaxation and great food, Celebrity is it.

Carnival is very loud at night, we had drunk people screaming down the halls until 3-4 am. Carnival is too crazy for the little ones, its too hard to manuever a stroller with all the people around.

Is this typical?

Is this typical?

I have never experienced this, but we do always book a cabin on a higher deck aft. Maybe this poster was on one of the lower decks... When I see this posted from time to time, I wonder the same thing. Then again, I also do not travel during the summer when more kids would be on board... This behavior sounds more like 18-21 Frat boys than anything. Once again- I have never experience this, but threw quite an outragious party on my Celebrity cruise in my cabin.... We had crew and passengers since that was the only way to have a little fun, but annoyed alot of others unfortunately.. Believe me, it doesn't matter what cruiseline you are on!

Yeah I saw those prices being advertised a while back. I think that this is a good thing for Celebrity to try. The shorter cruises actually make up a large percentage of the cruise market. I know that they are going to move the Century to this run after she goes through her major refurb for part of the year. I don't understand why Princess doesn't try the shorter cruises since they have so many ships in the fleet.

Archived