Travelling with 9-month old; sterilizing bottles and storing breast milk

bertrande

I never sterilized anything after 3-4 months and my kids got along fine. I never once warmed a bottle, either (my doctor, when asked, laughed and said the warming was because it made the mother feel good and babies don't care), which seemed to be true for mine. They grew up healthy, few illnesses.
Yup, I sometimes wonder how my DD ever survived with me as her mom :D !

We did not serilize bottles (washed them well, and occassionally boiled the nipples) and never ever warmed a bottle. By 9MO she was eating steamed veggies that I had mashed up a bit with a fork.

But she's 17YO (fast approaching 18), has had no major illness (and probably fewer minor illnesses than average), so despite all her hardships, she seems to have soldiered on :)

To the OP, talk to your health care provider to find out his/her recommendations. If they think it is still wise to sterilize and such -- I would recommend bringing your sterilization equipment, the makeshift stuff on board would not be up to the task.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! I have bought the Playtex bottles, nipples and liners and now will "just" have to introduce LO to them (she's been on Medela bottles and NUK nipples from a month old). Have also requested for a fridge and the request has been approved by RCCL. Request for freezing facility for my gel packs (to keep breast milk chilled on shore excursions) has been deflected - told me to ask my stateroom attendant for assistance once onboard. Fingers crossed this wouldn't be a problem! Otherwise, this forum has been a great source of information on what to do...thanks!! :D

Thanks everyone! I have bought the Playtex bottles, nipples and liners and now will "just" have to introduce LO to them (she's been on Medela bottles and NUK nipples from a month old). Have also requested for a fridge and the request has been approved by RCCL. Request for freezing facility for my gel packs (to keep breast milk chilled on shore excursions) has been deflected - told me to ask my stateroom attendant for assistance once onboard. Fingers crossed this wouldn't be a problem! Otherwise, this forum has been a great source of information on what to do...thanks!! :D

They sell orthodontic nipples for Playtex bottles. If you have trouble, try these: http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Drop-Ins-Orthodontic-Latex-Nipple/dp/B000056W65

You really only need to sterilize the first use, after than washing is fine.

Too many allergies coming about they believe due to people being too germphobic and not letting the little ones get any exposure.

Our 3 mo little girl is fine. Anything we buy new gets boiled, then just washed.

And remember breast milk is very hardy. 6-8 hours at 77 deg or less, 24 hours in an insulated cooler bag, 5 days in the frig.

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

Take zip-lock bags and ask the cabin steward for extra ice each morning. Put the ice with your milk instead of the gel packs. In an insulated bag, it should work very well.

I took a cruise with my 9 month old twins and then again at one year. I pumped exclusively and I didn't sterilize on vacation. After 6 months you don't really need to. The water is very hot just take your own dish soap to wash. I traveled once on carnival and once on Rccl. In both cases I had to request a different fridge as they were not cold enough. You can request one ahead of time to make sure you have one (I didn't). They tell you the whole "only coolers" story but my moms was ice cold so they can be colder...

They will not empty the fridge for you but you can remove the items and store them somewhere else in the cabin. The minibar person will look for them so they can't be out of the room.

I wouldn't bother with those new bottles. Just make sure you have covers for your current bottles and you can forgo bags for storing and learning something new for them. Take a days worth of bottles so you can travel during the day and you will be ok. It can be I refrigerated if not too hot for 6 hours.

As for food, Rccl would purée food for mine but sometimes they were fussy and didn't eat it. Carnival wouldn't purée anything. Take some with you and save yourself the hungry baby. I took a combo of jars of fruit, veggies and rice cereal. The food is also necessary while in port.

I took ziplog bags with me and they kept bottles cold for around 8 hours. I would fill a small zip lock bag and then put the bottle and ice in a bigger ziplog bag so the condensation wouldn't get items in the diaper bag wet. It will be easier to "bug" the cabin steward for ice then go hunting for ice in the buffet- which I believe is your only option for get it yourself. He was happy to get it for me and it took 2 minutes. The mariner had a drink station on deck 5 where i could get milk and ice, but I don't think your ship does so do it yourself will be inconvenient.

Happy planning!

Thank you very much, bearette. I have already requested for a fridge and RCCL have indicated that they will be providing one (fingers crossed!). Will definitely be bringing along some ziplock bags!

And remember breast milk is very hardy. 6-8 hours at 77 deg or less, 24 hours in an insulated cooler bag, 5 days in the frig.

http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm

I second this. And it's fairly easy to judge when the milk is no good, because it gets a very distinct smell (not "bad", but a SMELL, versus no smell at all).

we cruised with our (then) 8 month old and hand washed the bottles with soap.

He's partially a BLW (baby lead weaning) kid, so feeding him solids was no issue at all, we just ordered him fish and veggies from the menu. But I brought a bunch of Ella's Kitchen-type smoothie pouches, and his usual porridge.

When travelling with such small kids, you usually lug almost the entire household with you anyway, so I would try not to bring unneccessary items like a sterilizer if you don't really need it. However, I would recommend bringing more food and diapers than you think you'll need.

Archived