DIY Avignon,Aix,and vineyard??

sunbird21

Hi all,

Im trying to plan my day in Marseilles next month,and I'm really torn between Avignon and Aix en Provence. I'd like to see them both,and NCL does do a tour for the two at $89,but of course Im trying to save cost...is it feasable to travel to both via train,bus,etc on your own? Or should I just pick one? In Avignon,I'd like to see the Palais de popes and the bridge,and in Aix I'd just like to see the area.I will be there on a Friday so no markets open:(

Also,I have a growing interest in wine,and would like to visit a vineyard...is there one reachable by public transportation near either city? I realize its a stretch but wanted to try. If not,are there any recommendations for decent shops in either city(or in port of Marseilles) to buy a bottle or two?

Thanks for any help!

Stacey

That sounds like a really aggressive trip on your own. We just spent the morning in Aix and went back to the ship for a late lunch. Then to Marseilles in the afternoon. There are lots of wine shops in each place. Just check with the cruise line on their policy first.

Hi all,

Im trying to plan my day in Marseilles next month,and I'm really torn between Avignon and Aix en Provence. I'd like to see them both,and NCL does do a tour for the two at $89,but of course Im trying to save cost...is it feasable to travel to both via train,bus,etc on your own? Or should I just pick one? In Avignon,I'd like to see the Palais de popes and the bridge,and in Aix I'd just like to see the area.I will be there on a Friday so no markets open:(

Also,I have a growing interest in wine,and would like to visit a vineyard...is there one reachable by public transportation near either city? I realize its a stretch but wanted to try. If not,are there any recommendations for decent shops in either city(or in port of Marseilles) to buy a bottle or two?

Thanks for any help!

Stacey

Is this your first trip to Europe/France? If so,I would do some reading on both these places and pick one...it is really a lot to try and do DYI if you do not know the layout.If you will have another chance to see a small Frech village I would pick Avignon as a place to visit as there is is a lot there.You may want to rethink the ship's tour if it is your first trip as well.Anyway, do some reading and then decide.

I usually DIY in Europe and am fairly adventurous. There are very few places that I opt for a ship's tour. But, given the distance to Avignon and that you need to take the ship's shuttle to town ($15), then get to the train station, buy tickets, etc., I am going to just opt for the $89 NCL tour. Even doing just Aix will likely cost almost as much as the $50 or so NCL fee (as you still have to start out paying $15 shuttle fee). When you DIY, you need to "pad" extra time to get back to the ship, in case of missed connections, etc., so, if the ship leave at 5pm, you need to plan to be back onboard by 3pm. IMHO, that really does not give enough time to do both. Elaine

Archived