Hamburg stop: where does ship dock?

Playtennis

Our cruise makes a stop in - this is how it's listed - "Hamburg (Bremerhaven), Germany"

Does any one know for certain where the Oceania ships will port? It seems as if Hamburg now has cruise ships docking there and I wonder if O will take advantage of that.

If they still do dock in Bremerhaven how is the sight-seeing there vs. traveling to Hamburg?

Hamburg Overview

Hamburg, Germany's foremost port and one of its most handsome cities, may also be one of Europe's most underrated destinations. Many Americans -- and even Europeans -- have yet to discover its charms, including its beautiful situation on the banks of the River Elbe and around the Alster lake, the loveliness of its mostly traditional architecture, its premier museums, and its long history and association with the powerful Hanseatic League. The city is also more sophisticated and walkable than Germany's capital, Berlin, a huge plus for visitors.

Hamburg Cruise Port

Hamburg has the largest model railway in the world

largest model railway

flughafen-parkhaus-parkplatz-terminals.jpg

detlev-mueller-amerika-lasv.jpg

Deutsche Bahn AG does not appear to have any fast trains between the

2 Cities which is a bit unusual for Germany

Deutsche Bahn AG

SilverSeas and Cunard seem to be the better lines that berth in Hamburg

Port of Hamburg

Pictures were great. Night lights are fantastic. The ship leaves (Bremerhaven at 5 PM so we won't get to see the city at night.

By your reply I am taking it to mean that you believe that O will dock in Bremerhaven.

Another curious point is that, while our cruise is still over a year away, we have received ship tour info for most of the ports we will visit with the notable exception of Hamburg/Bremerhaven.

• 2 weeks later...
Our cruise makes a stop in - this is how it's listed - "Hamburg (Bremerhaven), Germany"

Does any one know for certain where the Oceania ships will port? It seems as if Hamburg now has cruise ships docking there and I wonder if O will take advantage of that.

If they still do dock in Bremerhaven how is the sight-seeing there vs. traveling to Hamburg?

There are three passenger cruise terminals in Hamburg. Here is the web site: http://www.hamburgcruisecenter.eu/en You can see which terminal your cruise is docking at.

urlaub is right, if the ship docks at Bremerhaven, it is a wiser use of your limited time to visit Bremen instead of going to Hamburg.

http://www.bremen-tourism.de/

If your ancestors came from Germany, they will probably have left from Bremerhaven.

http://www.dah-bremerhaven.de/english.php

I appreciate all of the experienced responses. It certainly gives one a bit of a "why do they do that?" feeling. If the advertised port (see original post) is listed as Hamburg (bremerhaven) one would assume that the main attraction and touring area would be Hamburg. If Hamburg is too far away from Bremerhaven to tour...it makes me a bit more confused. I will tour and enjoy either one.

Maybe they thought that Hamburg is better known than Bremen. Bremen is certainly a destination in its own right. It's the second largest Hansa City (Hamburg is first in size, Luebeck is third). Many of the Baltic Sea ports were part of this old seafaring league.

Archived