Passports - How quick did yours come in the mail after sending your info in?

suzyaz

They say up to 6 weeks. Has anyone ever got their passport (this being our 1st) in quicker than 6 weeks?

Its been 2 weeks since hubby and I sent for ours and my nephew just sent in for his yesterday.

Thank you in advance for replys.:D

We also sent for our passports 2 weeks ago -- we wanted to get it now before all of the new laws go into effect. We haven't received them yet - however our checks were cashed after only 4 days - hopefully that is a good sign.

I applied in mid-February and got my passport back the first week in March, so mine took 3 weeks. I also sent it in for expedited service for my name change ($60 to get it back within 2 weeks) and got it back a week after I mailed it!

However, DH applied in mid-March and the State Department LOST his application and birth certificate. We hit 6 weeks and starting in early May he contacted them to find out where his passport is...he got an emailed response that said they would look for it. We have both tried calling DAILY for the last month while the National Passport Information Center is open, but with their high volume of calls now we have never gotten through to a live person on the other end. :mad: So he continues to use their email status inquiry system and each time gets "We're still trying to find out what happened." We do know that no passport has been issued in his name. They don't know if it got lost at the probate court where he applied, or in transit, or once it reached the State Department. He applied at the same place my brother and parents applied and they had no problems. It is upsetting that his birth certificate is "lost" - what about identity theft?! We have no idea whose hands it may have gotten into.

Well, we're cruising tomorrow on a Canadian itinerary and he obviously needs proof of citizenship! We were told we had two options: either go to the "local" Passport Agency (an hour away) within 14 days of travel and get an emergency passport (at a cost of more than $150 - extra fees on top of the usual ones) or stick with the birth cert/driver's license combo.

So DH had to take time last week to go to the city where he was born to get a certified copy of his birth certificate - at our expense, of course. And the State Dept. told him he has to pay AGAIN to re-apply, even though they admit they lost his first application in the system. So we're out a good $100 between the first passport application and the certified copy of his birth cert and he still doesn't have a passport. He will need to apply again but we're so frustrated that we're waiting until AFTER our cruise.

Our advice to fellow travelers is to keep ALL your reciepts from the passport fees (we did and it helped a lot in contacting the State Department), and make a note of where and when you applied. If you don't have your passport within 6 weeks, call the NPIC at 1-877-4USA-PPT or email them for a status check through the State Department website. I'm sure this situation is rare, but it has been a huge pain in the neck!

I've had my passport since 95 and it took 8 weeks.

Last year I had to get an addendum that changed my last name to my new married name. I paid (I think $20) extra and received it back in about 3 weeks - really quickly.

Took us about 3 weeks also but that again was before the new regs went into effect, it was also just before the price increase etc.

Katie, i would also check with the probate court where you submitted your app. hope you have a great cruise. good luck!

We went to the passport office with all required papers and I had my passport within 7 working days and the SO within 12... We did not mail anything I do not trust any postal service with my original documents... Althought I do know others that did the mail in thing and did receive everything back but hey that is just not my thing...

Archived