Transatlantic with 20 months old

kimmy_bos

Hi

I very rudely jumped on someone elses post asking questions about transatlantics.

We are going on our first cruise next month with our 8 month old and are considering booking a TA onboard for next year when our DD will be 20 months. We would be going on a large RC ship.

Any tips tricks and advice?

x

Hi

I very rudely jumped on someone elses post asking questions about transatlantics.

We are going on our first cruise next month with our 8 month old and are considering booking a TA onboard for next year when our DD will be 20 months. We would be going on a large RC ship.

Any tips tricks and advice?

x

We'll be on our first TA with our 25 months old DD next year (Liberty OTS from FLL-BCN) as well. Can't give you any advice regarding the cruise. All I can tell you ist to get an extra seat for your DD for the transatlantic flight. Costs almost full price but is worth it when considering such a long flight.

Hi,

I tought I will copy my reply from the other tread here, so everything is toghether.

••••

we loved the transantlantic with our daughter last year, she was than 18 month.

we booked a junior suite, the reason was, that we so had a tub and the room was a bit bigger than the normal balcony cabin. we never would have taken a cabin without balcony, as with the little one having nap time you spent quite a lot of time in your cabin. we were lucky that we could upgrade to a grand suite, so this was really perfect. the good thing on the GS is that you have a curtain around the bed, so if DD had her nap time or in the evening she was sleeping we could have sit in the room or the balcony without disdurbing her.

As DD wasn't potty trained, she wasn't allowed into the pool. So we both a little inflatable pool at wallmart, which we put on the balcony. We were on the Jewel of the Seas, I don't know if the bigger ships have a pool, which is allowed with no potty trained childern.

The route of our transatlantic was: Ponta Delgada (Azores), Cherbourg (France), Brest (France), Harwich (UK)

The first days it was very nice and warm, but as closer you came to Europe it was getting cooler.

That's also the reason why we choose the Independence of the Seas next year, as she has all ports in the Carribean and than heading to Europe.

As your DD will be allready 20 month, I would personally think about to buy her a seat at the airplane, as it is very enojing to have her for such a long flight on your lap. For us was last time was the question (she was 18 month) to get three economy seats or two business. We decided to go for the business, as the price differenc to three economy seats wasn't that big. In the end we were really lucky that there was a seat free, so she had her own seat.

We didn't booked one way, as it is very expensive with Swiss, don't know if with other airlines also. We booked Zurich-Miami (business) and than back New-York - Zurich (economy), as this is the cheapest flight from northamerica to zurich.

On the Jewel there wasn't a nursery. But they had the Babies and Tots program, which was basicly a room with fisher price toy's where you could go and play. That was very nice and we went there at least once a day. You could also borrow fisher price toy's to take to your cabin. As on the transatlantic wasn't a lot of kids, we never had problems to get a bag we wanted.

A good advise we got from the boards here, was to take all things as diapers, wetwipes etc. into a cardboard box, so you don't need a suite case for that, and once you packed out, the steward can dispose it for you.

I think there is so much to see for the little once, that they never get board.

As we life in Switzerland we tought it was very nice to go back to Europe with the ship, no jetlag, no long flight...just perfect.

If you have any specific questions, just feel free to ask.

•••

We had our travel cot with us, the one from phil&teds as it's very light no problem to take it with the plane. We only both a foam mat, as we thought the inflatable mat was very thin. Our DD loves this bed and it was nice that she had always a known place, doesn't matter where we where.

As we were two weeks in Florida bevor going to the transatlantic, we booked a hotel bevor the cruise which had a washing machine, so I could do some laundry.

@kimmy_bos

You will love the GS. What's also very nice, that you can order the food from MDR as room service, we never used it, as it was ok to go for dinner with our daughter, but it was nice to have this option. We also went every day to the concierge lounge at 5 pm for the complimentary drinks. Sometimes we had to leave because DD was board and we didn't want to disturb anyone.

Ah two weeks till your cruise... I am quite jealous ;).... have to wait over a year till our cruise :(

Go for it. Once kids are school age- it usually isn't possible to take advantage of these transatlantics because they fall during the school year. I did one in 2005 with a then 4 year old and it was great!

I completely agree with this. I really regret not taking advantage of transatlantic cruises before my kids started school.

Best,

Mia

I completely agree with this. I really regret not taking advantage of transatlantic cruises before my kids started school.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

Yep my biggest cruise regret was not doing a TA before my son started school this year :(

• 4 months later...

Archived