Help! Carnival Valor vs RCI Navigator

CookieBird

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My husband went on our first cruise, Carnival Imagination, in May and now we are hooked! We are planning another cruise for next May and are hoping to get some advise.

We are thinking of the two options and don't know which is better..any thoughts?

Carnival Valor - 7 night eastern

Miami-Bahamas-sea-St.Thomas-StMaarten-sea-sea-Miami

ocean ~ $900

balcony ~ $1000

RCI Navigator - 7 night eastern

Miami-PR-sea-StThomas-StMaarten-sea-Bahamas-Miami

Ocean ~$1150

balcony ~$1350

So do we pay more for the extra port day? (slightly less time on islands). Or is 2 days at sea in a row too many? We are interested in experiencing another cruise line but is it worth the extra money for RCI? Will doing another Carnival be same old same old? Should we book using our TA (no discounts or upgrades from them but convienient) or book direct?

We loved the Imagination but would like to experience a newer, bigger ship. We are in our late 20s, early 30s.

Thanks! I appreciate your help

(what a life when this is my big dilemma of the week!!!)

I plan to post this on the RCI board too.

I can not say to much about the 2 ships that you are choosing. I have been on the sister ships of both the Valor and the Navigator. We just got off of the Glory about 2 weeks ago and were on the Explorer and the Voyager of the Seas a couple of years ago.

I personal think that you will get different opinions on which is better but being that you are around the same age as myself and wife I like the RCI for there are more activites to do on the ships. I have found on Carnival they sometimes like things to do. If you 2 are very active in sports you will find the larger RCI has much more thing to keep you busy.

Being that there is a full court basketball or volleyball, in-line skating track, mini- golf, rock climbing wall, a great fitness center, and my favorite an ice-skating ring. I would have to say the food is a bit better and same with the service. But again this is just my feelings about the different companies.

But if you have anyother questions feel free to ask.

Am sure you will get tons of responses on this...I don't like two days at sea at the end of the cruise but that's just me and itinerary is very important for us. Many people love RCCL and many love Carnival. You need to weigh the pros and cons and think about what you enjoy on a cruise...if relaxing and laying out in the sun and having fun are your main goals, then go with Carnival. If you are more adventurous - rock climbing wall, roller blading, etc., then RCCL may be better for you. Also, if price is a driving factor, then go with Carnival based on your rates you posted.

we loved every minute. I wasn't sure if I'd dig the 'at sea' days, but believe me, after 2 all-day port days in a row, 2 days to relax is NICE. I almost enjoyed the 'at sea days' as much as the port days, in all honesty. I'm of the opinion that the other itinerary would be TOO much running around, for me anyway, and I consider myself a pretty active person. We were so tired the night after St. Maarten that we skipped dinner in the dining room in favor of grabbing a quick bite on Lido and lounging around and resting the remainder of the night.

I loved the Valor and would go on her again in a heartbeat. And there was a group of us right in your age group (27-33), if that helps you on gauging our prespective at all.

hope that helps!

CookieBird, it's hard to say which ship you'd like. Everyone has different opinions and preferences. Below you will see pictures of the Carnival Conquest (which we happen to enjoy very much) and some of RCI's Explorer (sister ship to the Navigator - we thought that was a great ship with plenty to do). If you like to lay back and relax or partake of the pool games, etc., the extra sea days are great. If you found you love cruising you can't go wrong with either choice. We've certainly enjoyed all of ours.

Better ship - Navigator

No contest on this one. The Voyager class ships are the best mega-crusiers out there. No competition from Carnival

Now the real question: Is it worth an extra $700?

Each can decide!

PS Another good thing about Navigator, the schedule avoids doing immigration in St. Thomas which is a blessing.

Archived