New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Great, you're the perfect NCL consumer! Anything they give you is received with a smile. Have a great (if possible) meal at the late great Cagney's!:eek:

No, instead of complaining on here before trying the new menu, I will experience Cagney's on my next cruise and then if the experience isn't to my liking, I will just not go there again. I just don't understand complaining because a few items are no longer on the menu when there are so many other things to pick from.

Went to Cagney's on our last cruise ( May 4 2013 ) I was surprised by the menu changes. I thought they gave me a wrong menu. I was searching for my favories. I liked the old dinner menu.

These new offerings were once on the main dinning room menu - no charge !

Have you tried the new menu? A great meal is far more possible then it was a month ago. Pretty snarky post on your side. You may want to read Who Moved My Cheese it takes about 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Had you read the complete thread you would know that I have tried the new menu. But of course you have a need to defend all things NCL. With 31 NCL cruises under my belt will continue to call them as I see them. Enjoy your next cruise. I know I will, but without Cagney's.

Had you read the complete thread you would know that I have tried the new menu. But of course you have a need to defend all things NCL. With 31 NCL cruises under my belt will continue to call them as I see them. Enjoy your next cruise. I know I will, but without Cagney's.

Unlike you I loved the new menu and will return. No restaurant can meet the taste of everyone. My few for everyone that resists the changes 2 will embrace it. Remember all the posts from those who would not return to Cagney's because all the apps were seafood. They are happy now and you are not. You can't please everyone. I know I will never return to Ocean Blue and I am sure there are many that will love it. My view and your view are only our own opinions.

Unlike you I loved the new menu and will return. No restaurant can meet the taste of everyone. My few for everyone that resists the changes 2 will embrace it. Remember all the posts from those who would not return to Cagney's because all the apps were seafood. They are happy now and you are not. You can't please everyone. I know I will never return to Ocean Blue and I am sure there are many that will love it. My view and your view are only our own opinions.

On this we agree. Have a great cruise.

Went to Cagney's on our last cruise ( May 4 2013 ) I was surprised by the menu changes. I thought they gave me a wrong menu. I was searching for my favories. I liked the old dinner menu.

These new offerings were once on the main dinning room menu - no charge !

And that's the point. More downsizing and cutbacks plus an increase in the price.

And that's the point. More downsizing and cutbacks plus an increase in the price.

When NCL opened the specialty restaurants, they were accused of downgrading the MDR food to drive business to the pay venues.

Now they are accused of downgrading the food in the pay venues ------

What do you think ??? Are they trying to drive business back to the MDR's???????

Some people just don't accept change and come up with many reasons not to like ANY changes......:eek:

When NCL opened the specialty restaurants, they were accused of downgrading the MDR food to drive business to the pay venues.

Now they are accused of downgrading the food in the pay venues ------

What do you think ??? Are they trying to drive business back to the MDR's???????

Some people just don't accept change and come up with many reasons not to like ANY changes......:eek:

Reading the menus, the cutbacks are palpable.

Shewt, I'd LOVE to see some change. The beer list would be a good place to start...........

Looking forward to the new menu. Change is not always bad ... Had the prime rib last year at cagney's and it was just ok... I really looking forward to that 18oz bone in ribeye. Which in my opinion is better than prime rib any day! Yes I will miss some of the things on the old menu. But trying new food is an adventure. Enjoy!

Have you tried the new menu? A great meal is far more possible then it was a month ago. Pretty snarky post on your side. You may want to read Who Moved My Cheese it takes about 30 minutes.

have tried the new menu and I didn't like it!

What didn't you like about it?

The two appetizers that I had were awful (one just terrible, not edible. The other was just odd). :(

The entree was very good. :)

The dessert was not that good. :o

I may or may not eat there again, but probably not unless they were offering some kind of special (like free wine) that brought the price down.

Edited by MS52

I booked Cagney's for my upcomming cruise only because the menu changed. I did not care for the old menu seafood apps. (I live in coastal New Hampshire and have aquired a taste for seafood only from my local area, It is not the same for me even in Boston or up north in Portland, Me. Why? Don't know, thats just the way it is.) I welcome the change to Certified Angus Beef. It certainly is an upgrade. All our butcher shops in the area promote it and after trying it, they are right. It is more expensive, but it sells easily to repeate buyers. I will in all probability get the 18 oz. rib-eye. If only it comes cooked right!

I liked the old Cagney's menu xcept for the apps. Too much seafood for me. I probably would not have booked it again. But the menue change, I'll try it.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I just don't understand complaining because a few items are no longer on the menu when there are so many other things to pick from.

Why do people post that they don't understand people voicing their opinions (negative in this case) while they don't read the entire thread realizing what's taking place.

It is NOT just one change, "raising the PP charge." It is 3 distinct things happening at once.

1) Favorite "seafood" items completely removed from the menu

2) Steak portions down-sized from 12oz Filet to 8 oz Filet

3) Per Person dining cost raised

Take those 3 things into account when considering that past NCL cruisers are posting their feedback on these boards.

Oh, and not sure how many of you Pro New Cagney's people have noticed but my fear and predictions have come true. NCL just raised Ocean Blue's cover charge from $35 to $49 (a 40% increase)! Heck I wasn't going based on the amount of food served and the price tag alone. Now my decision not to book that one is even easier. It seems that NCLs "revenue maximization" is in full swing.

Enjoy your specialty restaurant dining :)

I ordered the Baked Potato Soup and DH had the Shrimp Cocktail and the Crab Cake. The soup had no flavor, there were only 3 shrimp and the crab cake had very little crab in it, just imo. Both had filet mignon, my was cooked okay, but dh ordered medium and got rare. Had a slice of cold garlic butter on top. DH had baked potato and I had steamed broccoli. His was ok, mine had absolutely no flavor. I had dessert and dh had coffee. I got two large slabs of brownie, with big chunks of peanut brittle and a little bit of chocolate ice cream. My dessert was not good. His coffee was not like we had the last time we ate in Cagney's with the old menu. IMO

I ordered the Baked Potato Soup and DH had the Shrimp Cocktail and the Crab Cake. The soup had no flavor, there were only 3 shrimp and the crab cake had very little crab in it, just imo. Both had filet mignon, my was cooked okay, but dh ordered medium and got rare. Had a slice of cold garlic butter on top. DH had baked potato and I had steamed broccoli. His was ok, mine had absolutely no flavor. I had dessert and dh had coffee. I got two large slabs of brownie, with big chunks of peanut brittle and a little bit of chocolate ice cream. My dessert was not good. His coffee was not like we had the last time we ate in Cagney's with the old menu. IMO

Thank you so much for your opinion. I loved cagneys when we went on the jewel. I was planning to have my birthday dinner there again this year. I appreciate everyone's opinion good or not so good.

Thank you for your opinion. I'll be having the baked potato soup and filet with baked potato in November (wow, a lot of potatoes), so I'll report back how my meal was when I return from the cruise. Since I don't like garlic, I'll have to remember to tell them not to put it on the filet. Other than salt and pepper, what would you suggest that could be put on the broccoli to give it more flavor?

I am just off the Breakaway and am not excited with the change in what used to be my favorite restaurant. First, they have removed the prime rib. Second, they have increased the fee. The restaurant itself was one of only several things, in my opinion, on the Breakaway that was bigger than on the Dawn. It was not only in a larger area, but a more open area that also increased the noise and the volume of the noise. It was not quiet and just did not meet the standards that I have felt previously on the Dawn (for 3 previous visits on the Dawn). My waitress was not attentive, forgot my DH's drink and, in the end, was pretty much uninterested in pleasing our group. The quality of my food was good. My ribeye was cooked perfectly and the shrimp cocktail was large and tasteful. I found the desserts pleasing also. We all sampled each others oreo cheesecake, ice cream sandwich, apple crisp and brownie. The coffee is not the individualized brewed pot we used to get but served via the waitress individually.

Why do people post that they don't understand people voicing their opinions (negative in this case) while they don't read the entire thread realizing what's taking place.

It is NOT just one change, "raising the PP charge." It is 3 distinct things happening at once.

1) Favorite "seafood" items completely removed from the menu

2) Steak portions down-sized from 12oz Filet to 8 oz Filet

3) Per Person dining cost raised

Take those 3 things into account when considering that past NCL cruisers are posting their feedback on these boards.

Oh, and not sure how many of you Pro New Cagney's people have noticed but my fear and predictions have come true. NCL just raised Ocean Blue's cover charge from $35 to $49 (a 40% increase)! Heck I wasn't going based on the amount of food served and the price tag alone. Now my decision not to book that one is even easier. It seems that NCLs "revenue maximization" is in full swing.

Enjoy your specialty restaurant dining :)

Supposedly Jeffery Zackarian has 100% control of Ocean Blue and it cover charge of $49. NCL has no part of it, kind of like the Art Auctions. NCL must charge Ocean Blue a "lease" and Ocean Blue to make a profit found they had to rise their price. A land based resturant is expensive to "lease", it must be crazy expensive in a ship.

Cagney's is still owned by NCL, its profits go to them selves and for paying for all their new ships. Really... $60 to get a pretty good meal for two? Eat at the Long Horn or Texas Roadhouse have 18 oz. rib-eye with apps,salads and desserts thats around $80 or more without a tip. In Cagney's that $60 is inclusive of tip. Or you can eat at any of the complimentary resturants and not pay a dime more. I for one like the specialty resturants. For what I save with NCLs usually cheaper cruise rates, I spend at a specialty resturant. I have sailed most of the major cruise lines and none of their MDRs had food as good as the NCL specialty resturants. So in the end I spend equal money and get better dinners.

NCL cruises are still a lot less expensive than most other non-camping vacations I have taken. Crips, air fare to the embarkation port cost a quarter or more of the cruise price in most cases.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I am just off the Breakaway and am not excited with the change in what used to be my favorite restaurant. First, they have removed the prime rib. Second, they have increased the fee. The restaurant itself was one of only several things, in my opinion, on the Breakaway that was bigger than on the Dawn. It was not only in a larger area, but a more open area that also increased the noise and the volume of the noise. It was not quiet and just did not meet the standards that I have felt previously on the Dawn (for 3 previous visits on the Dawn). My waitress was not attentive, forgot my DH's drink and, in the end, was pretty much uninterested in pleasing our group. The quality of my food was good. My ribeye was cooked perfectly and the shrimp cocktail was large and tasteful. I found the desserts pleasing also. We all sampled each others oreo cheesecake, ice cream sandwich, apple crisp and brownie. The coffee is not the individualized brewed pot we used to get but served via the waitress individually.

Just wondering! What you didn't like was that they no long have prime rib, you didn't like the coffee, the server was poor, higher fee and it was noisy. So, the only things you didn't like about the new menu is that it has stopped serving prime rib and were priced higher. Is having prime rib that important to what cruise line and/or restaurant you choose, since that was really the only menu change (other than cost) you didn't like? What would you say your meal was worth? The other reasons you didn't like the restaurant was because of the noise, poor service and bad coffee, all of which has nothing to do with the new menu.

Edited by NLH Arizona

"NCL must charge Ocean Blue a "lease" and Ocean Blue to make a profit found they had to rise their price. A land based resturant is expensive to "lease", it must be crazy expensive in a ship."

I personally don't buy that and have not seen that in writing. Even if that is entirely true, NCL has already increased prices while reducing offerings and servings with the Cagney's changes so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I would also think that NCL would be very concerned about a 3rd party making pricing decisions that affect overall consumer satisfaction on one of their marquee attractions aboard their newest ship.

"Eat at the Long Horn or Texas Roadhouse have 18 oz. rib-eye with apps,salads and desserts thats around $80 or more without a tip. In Cagney's that $60 is inclusive of tip."

I agree with your analogy of dining at the Long Horn or Roadhouse with one small caveat: Cruisers (including NCL) are still paying a portion of their cruise fare for meals food and drinks (non-alcoholic of course) that are included in the price.

"NCL cruises are still a lot less expensive than most other non-camping vacations I have taken. Crips, air fare to the embarkation port cost a quarter or more of the cruise price in most cases."

Again, I agree with you that cruises are still a price/performance leader versus land only vacations. I'm also still an NCL fan, which is why I'm posting my opinions and feedback on this board. We can always hope that NCL makes changes for the better

I wonder why people keep skipping over the fact that they've changed suppliers for their meat and that the new meat is much better? That does cost money.

OTOH, I hate it when restaurants change their menus and take away favourites. I also dislike taking 7 cruises in a year and having the same food on offer, so I guess I really can't have it both ways :)

I think the new and much improved meat they are serving warrant at least trying it before making a judgement, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I wonder why people keep skipping over the fact that they've changed suppliers for their meat and that the new meat is much better? That does cost money.

OTOH, I hate it when restaurants change their menus and take away favourites. I also dislike taking 7 cruises in a year and having the same food on offer, so I guess I really can't have it both ways :)

I think the new and much improved meat they are serving warrant at least trying it before making a judgement, but maybe that's just me.

I also hate it when restaurants take away my favorites, but after the first visit I usually find another favorite to take it's place.

I can't believe that people cruise because they can have prime rib or 6 shrimp in their shrimp cocktail, etc. and if they can't have it, it is a big deal. I cruise because I love being on the sea, love not having to cook for myself, meeting new people, seeing new places, being able to relax, etc. and if a restaurant doesn't serve my favorite (filet), I'll just find another steak to eat without complaining.