Leaving NYC

Sea Saw

When we left the port of NYC it was a bit crazy and not very well done. Seemed to be a disorganized but this was in September. Alot of people of course trying to get on the ship and long lines. Not sure if being there when there was a tropical depression heading toward the city had anything to do with it but we left about 2 hours late and made in to Boston about the same after the scheduled time.

Spectacular views......spectacular views......spectacular views.......

There's nothing like sailing out of NYC. The trip from the pier to the bridge usually takes about an hour.

And there's nothing like the feeling you get sailing passed the Statue of Liberty.

Mr Pete,

Reading your post made my morning! I have to say that I am most excited about sailing out of NYC next week. I am looking forward to the cruise itself, but having only sailed from FL, the departure is the new and exciting thing for me. My parents will be on their first cruise and first time to NYC, so they are excited as well. I just hope that we make it to the Statue of Liberty before dinner! I would hate to miss it!

Tammy

If you don't see Miss Liberty when you sail it is a great feeling to watch her when you return home! It is a lot of fun to sail from NYC but that feeling occurs after the ship is underway! Please note that the port itself is very confusing and not very attractive and the traffic can be horrific. Keep a positive outlook and focus on getting on the ship and having a ball.

hi, my family is also sailing on 8/8 from NYC. Are you on the triumph Canada cruise? I was beginning to think we were the only ones sailing. I've done 2 roles calls, and no one has replied. Have a great cruise.

Get there early. On my last cruise, we left Long Island around 10am and got to the pier about 11. A lot of traffic, however, hardly no lines. The day we returned, I left my dirty laundry bag at the pier, and had to go back. Got to the pier around 2pm, it was PACKED. I would definitely plan on getting there before 12. We boarded the ship right away, and had a chance to get acclimated before the sail away party. I agree, sailing down the Hudson, seeing the skyline, Lady Liberty, Verrazano Bridge is spectacular. On the day we were returning, I woke up around 6, looked out the window and we were just under the Verrazano all lit up at dawn. What could be better?

Enjoy NYC!

Thanks so much for posting that great shot of The Statue of Liberty. I was born & raised in NYC but have lived in the Midwest for quite a while.We are coming in to visit family and will be taking the Triumph Cruise in September. It gave me goose bumps to see your pic. Can't wait.

Norma

dear sea saw,

I know what you mean. I'm not sure I can wait the 51 days until the cruise. I am definately obsessed, and have been researching the ship and ports for months now. How many are sailing with you? It's me, hubby, son age 7 and daughter age 2. They are very excited about camp carnival and so am I. It's our first cruise too. See ya on board!:D

I sailed out of NYC on Sat. May 21. It was my first experience and listening to all of the advice from this board, I had no problem at all. We were the only ship in port that morning, so that made it easier. We got there about 11:30 and were some of the lucky ones to sit in the seats provided. We were on the ship by 12:30. Our ship was scheduled to leave at 4 and we were told we should get there between 1-2. If we would have done that we would have had to stand in long lines for quite a long time. I would probably recommend getting there between 11-11:30.

It was absolutely a beautiful sight sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

On embarkation there were 3 ships in port and it was Fleet week. If this is the case for you I would suggest getting a porter to take you to the first level, walk across the street and wait to be picked up on the corner of 50th and 12th streets. That is what we did and we again had no problems. There were thousands of cars trying to get to the second level.

Good Luck, Be Patient and have a GREAT cruise!!

We cruised out of NY - and it was great!! It was so easy to get to and very easy to leave - we drove right into the city - parked our car at the terminal - and it was easy to leave when we returned. It was only about 20 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel. Everyone is right!!! Sailing past the Statue of Liberty is awesome -- take pictures and enjoy!! You will also have a great view of the Empire State Building.

We live in NJ and have left NYC on the 5 cruises we've been on (6th this week!!).

GET THERE EARLY! My Mom always goes to Hoboken and waves a red umbrella when we leave BUT this Wednesday my parents are coming with us.

Besides passing the Statue of Liberty, it is fun going under the Verazano bridge. It must miss hitting it by 20 feet.

dear sea saw,

I know what you mean. I'm not sure I can wait the 51 days until the cruise. I am definately obsessed, and have been researching the ship and ports for months now. How many are sailing with you? It's me, hubby, son age 7 and daughter age 2. They are very excited about camp carnival and so am I. It's our first cruise too. See ya on board!:D

It is just Dh and I. As we have no kids we will not be bringing any along, just two kids at heart. We live about 5-10 mins away from the port by cab, allthough we could probably walk on air over there. We do plan on arriving early(we figured around 10:30-11ish) not minding if we have to sit around a bit for the privilage of being one of the first to board and starting vacation right away. I checked and found that we are the only ship leaving that day. When we return home, not having anything planned on Saturday should we be in any sort of rush to get off the ship or is it just pointless to just "hang around"? I suppose we have to leave our cabin early so the next batch of anxious passengers can start their fun. We are willing to carry off our own bags, should we go that route?

thanks.

You do have to vacate your cabins fairly early, but if you're in no hurry I'd go for the regular debarcation rather than the self-assist. Do be prepared for a bit of a madhouse on the pier, particularly if other ships are in port that day.

about what time does the ship sail past the Statue of Liberty and under the Bridge?? I think we have the early seating at dinner . Don't want to miss the first night at dinner but HAVE to see the skyline.... HELP!!!

All depends what time you pull away from the dock. Last two cruises out of there, we left late!

If you sail at 5, you have a conflict, but may just make it. They used to close the doors 15 minutes after scheduled dinner time.

Our May 21 cruise left late, not sure why, but we passed the Statue of Liberty at sunset and got the most beautiful pix. If I can figure out how to post them, I would. We had the late seating for dinner so it wasn't a problem.

We've sailed out of NYC 7 times and always worth seeing. In Feb. (on NCL Dawn) the ship sailed out @ 8 pm and that was really different and beautiful.

As far as getting to the port, we usually arrive between 11 AM and 12 noon, and have minimal waits (1-1.5 hrs until actually on the ship). They fill the center section first (with chairs) , the upper level second (we were here, but with minimal chairs), then the left section, then the right section. (people get there at 10-10:30 AM and are in the center section, but boarding does not start until the ship is cleared, ~12-12:30) In Feb. we were in the right section (was called the night before and due to the ship's delay, told not to arrrive before 2 pm but we arrived at 1 PM). The porters were constantly asking if anyone needed a chair. Handicapped were brought to the front and were the 1st to board.

In May, we chose the self assist disembarkation, (the 1st time we did this), and glad we did !! There were 2 other ships in port, and it was the Sun. of Fleet week. I read from others, it was a real mad house later on .... They started self-assist at 9:15 AM, after waiting in line (I admit it was a little unorganized at the end of the line, but people waited in the atrium lounge area for end of the line), my husband picked up the car, and left the pier by 10 AM . The best ever !!

about what time does the ship sail past the Statue of Liberty and under the Bridge?? I think we have the early seating at dinner . Don't want to miss the first night at dinner but HAVE to see the skyline.... HELP!!!

We are going to skip the dinner and watch NYC. The food at the buffffet (notice all the f's for food??) is great. You can go to the early seating dinner all the other nights.

Archived