Which Western Mediterranean itinerary?

allisons

Which Western Mediterranean itinerary?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Western Mediterranean itinerary?

• Barcelona, Marseille, Savona, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Barcelona
    • Barcelona, Marseilles, Nice, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples, Barcelona
    • Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Cannes, Palma Majorca, Barcelona

Let me preface this by saying that I do realize that this is a matter of personal preference. However, I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who have been to these places would please share your opinion with me. We're torn between three possible Western Mediterranean itineraries. They all leave from Barcelona, Spain. They all visit Florence/Pisa, Italy; Rome, Italy; and Naples, Italy. The differences are in the remaining ports. Option 1 visits Marseille, France and Savona, Italy. Option 2 visits Marseille, France and Nice, France. Option 3 visits Cannes, France and Palma, Majorca, Spain.

Option 1:

Barcelona, Spain

Marseille, France

Savona, Italy

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples, Italy

Barcelona, Spain

Option 2:

Barcelona, Spain

Provence (Marseilles), France

Villefranche (Nice), France

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples (Capri), Italy

Barcelona, Spain

Option 3:

Barcelona, Spain

Naples, Italy

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Cannes, France

Palma, Majorca, Spain

Barcelona, Spain

I would probably try to omit Marseille and Savona, although I know nothing about the latter. Depending on the cost of the cruise, if that is a factor, you could use marseille as a rest day, stay onboard and enjoy the ship. Jmho, ken:D

Thank you so much! That is so helpful! I really appreciate it! Can I ask why you would recommend against Marseille and Savona?

Savona is very small. Palma is nice, good mix between culture, beach and shopping. Marseille is a large sprawling city.

I would go for option 3. Only good ports in my view.

Thank you so much! That is so helpful! I really appreciate it! I think 3 it is.

I am torn between 2 and 3. By having 2 French ports you can explore in 2 different regions (Avignon, Aix, etc and from Nice - Nice, Eze, etc.) We loved Palma, but it is an island very much like Barcelona. If you are a Francophile 2 stops in France would get my vote.

We loved Palma, but it is an island very much like Barcelona.

:confused::confused::confused: Barcelona is NOT an island. It is the capital city of Catalonia, and Spain's second largest city.

I am torn between 2 and 3. By having 2 French ports you can explore in 2 different regions (Avignon, Aix, etc and from Nice - Nice, Eze, etc.) We loved Palma, but it is an island very much like Barcelona. If you are a Francophile 2 stops in France would get my vote.

Thank you! That's helpful! I also liked the idea of two different Ports in France. And I wasn't sure how great of a stop Palma Majorca is. FYI, Barcelona is not an island. My only concern about #2 is that the port for Florence/Pisa is La Spezia rather than Livorno.

:confused::confused::confused: Barcelona is NOT an island. It is the capital city of Catalonia, and Spain's second largest city.

Yes, I know. I was comparing the look and feeling of the cities, not the whole country;) I really should study my emails more closely - sorry if I confused you:)

Thank you! That's helpful! I also liked the idea of two different Ports in France. And I wasn't sure how great of a stop Palma Majorca is. FYI, Barcelona is not an island. My only concern about #2 is that the port for Florence/Pisa is La Spezia rather than Livorno.

Have only gone through Livorno. But there are many posts on the boards for La Sepzia. I would not want to miss Florence.

Have only gone through Livorno. But there are many posts on the boards for La Sepzia. I would not want to miss Florence.

We definitely don't want to miss Florence! We've been advised that La Spezia is much more inconvenient for Florence than Livorno!

We definitely don't want to miss Florence! We've been advised that La Spezia is much more inconvenient for Florence than Livorno!

Then this should help to narrow down your choices. Choose an itinerary with Livorno, and go with that. Also, these are very port intensive cruises, you may want to consider a sea day in there some place.

Then this should help to narrow down your choices. Choose an itinerary with Livorno, and go with that. Also, these are very port intensive cruises, you may want to consider a sea day in there some place.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful! I really appreciate it! I really think it's #3!

Archived