Transportation questions, NYC & Southampton (QM2 7/5)

DeSto

We (hubby & I) are on the QM2's eastbound July 5 sailing, have cruised several times before, but never on Cunard, or transatlantic. Questions: 1. Cheapest transportation from LaGuardia to pier, and 2. Rental car info in Southampton (good rental company for 6 days, rental car sites at pier, or do we have to taxi somewhere). We're driving straight up to Manchester, then working our way down to London (son-in-law is in a band, Fiction Plane, and we're following them for a few days). Will be spending 2 nights in Manchester, one in Birmingham, and 2 in London (hotel or b&b info in any of these?) Flying back from London July 16. We're so excited - help us with whatever info you may have, and thanks so much.

Hope you have a great crossing and enjoy your stay and following sons band.

Try expedia or suchlike if you really want car hire but if your trip is mainly major cities Manchester Birmingham etc it might be and idea to take the train. Traffic congestion can get pretty bad and fuel is quite pricey over here. I believe the britrail pass is very reasonably priced in the states, you can also get a direct train from Southampton to Manchester, the railways are generally pretty good.

Sorry I didnt really answer your q on car hire just wanted to point out options particularly if your trip is mainly to major cities........

enjoy

Thanks for the advice - I'm just concerned about having to haul the luggage around with us. Seemed it would be much easier with a car - thought I'd try Priceline like some others have. What about a locker at Southampton? Someplace safe to leave a couple of bags to make it easier on the train?

• 5 weeks later...

We came in on the QM just a couple of weeks ago. My best voyage ever John Clease (Monty Python) was on Board and gave some great talks. I noticed that whilst we waited for our driver people were being directed to the end of the arrivals hall for rental car collections. I have an idea that Cunard can help with this.

• 1 month later...

Archived