Med Cruise Port Load

We will be taking a Western Med cruise this June. After checking how many ships will be in each port during our itinerary, I found that the day we stop in Genoa (Italy) and Palma de Mallorca (Spain) there will be approx. 6,000 and 8,000 passengers in these ports, respectively.

For these ports, is that a lot?? In Barcelona, there will be even more but I am not as concerned as I know this is a much larger city that can better assimilate the passenger influx.

Any thoughts?

Barcelona has been known to service up to 50,000 cruise passengers in one day.

Genoa is also a major port city.

From what I remember about the port area of Palma de Mallorca, it was only designed to hold two or three ships (one area near to the street, and another much farther area). That may have changed recently, though, I don't know.

Mass travel is very much alive nowadays on the high seas. It's something we have to live with.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

As a stand alone attraction, the city of Palma is more than big enough to cope with that volume of passengers. However, many will be on excursions anyway to the numerous beautiful beaches and coves around the island and of course the fantastic Caves of Drach etc. Majora is a lovely island, just stay away from the holiday meat markets like Magaluf.

As for the port area itself, that too is beautiful. Details on here...

http://www.portsdebalears.com/141.php3?puerto=4

We have been through Palma many times on cruises as a port of call and embarkation port.

The port can deal with many ships at the same time but depends where you dock as to how far you may need to walk to reach the cruise terminal and it is another 30 minutes to the Old Town.

If you are looking to do your own thing, then the City Sightseeing Bus is a good option, stops outside the cruise terminal and allows you to get off and on at all the major spots around Palma.

For more information check out - http://www.mediterranean-cruise-advice.com/cruises-to-palma.html

To see a panoramic view of the port - http://www.mediterranean-cruise-advice.com/cruise-ships-in-palma.html

Archived