Shame of Norwegian

BOBfromNJ

I live and work in New York. My friends wife was killed by the storm. I have friends who lost their homes.I have business customers in Southern Manhattan without Phone,TV or internet just barely surviving. This was a truly devastating storm as was Katrina. The people in the news report lost EVERYTHING. Even if they could have gone on this cruise they didn't have a suitcase or clothes to put in it. NCL could have tried something. The have built a good size clientele in Manhattan and good publicity is something that takes time to achieve, yet can be lost in a moment. Many large corporations in NYC have donated large amounts of money and services to help those in need. NCL took the low road by ignoring ABC TV. The least they could have done is reply. These people who lost their $4000 dollars drive school buses for special needs children. It probably took them a few years to save up for this trip. NCL probably burns $4000 worth of fuel just pulling out of the harbor. Royal Caribbean is the hero in this story period. Too bad NCL you had your chance and threw it away. Take you ship and go back to Florida. New York doesn't need you.

Here's the link for anyone interested

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=9083703&pid=null

I have empathy for the losses suffered, however I fail to see how NCL is the bad guy and I fail to see what makes them responsible for making up for those losses. They were not responsible for Super Storm Sandy, nor were they responsible for any of the losses that the victims suffered...

and he can afford to rent a condo at the trump tower until his home is rebuilt.

please dont compare a millionaire to a man on the street.

and I am sure he hired people to get his family settled until his home is rebuilt...doubt he hauled out the ruined basement carpeting himself.

Wow, really? Did it ever occur to you that he is a normal man who worked his way up to what he is now? Can you be sure he didn't haul out any of the ruined carpeting himself? Do you know him personally? Do you know that he just sits back and lets everyone else work as he watches? Yes, I'm sure he does, after all he was born a successful millionaire right?

Losing property means just as much to millionaires than it does to us normal average income people. We work hard for what we have and so do they! I can bet he had insurance also. The bottom line here is the storm destroyed many many homes. Thousands lost a lot and many lost all. The ships crusing out of the NY area had many passengers who were local, who lost homes and other property. I wonder why we are only hearing about this one family? Could it be the others were smart enough to buy the insurance offered for just such an event? Or if they didn't, they understood the risk they took at the time, gambled and lost? Why is it that when something happens the entitlement crowd screams and yells the injustice that has been put upon them?

If you can't afford the insurance then you might want to rethink your choice of vacation.

Yes, insurance is important, but couldn't NCL at least responded? At least a polite "screw you" because you should have bought insurance might be better than not responding (if indeed they didn't)

If you watched the TV station's video, it said that NCL did respond -- that it would stick with it's standard policy in such cases.

What about those people that paid for insurance and had to use it because of Hurricane Sandy? Should they not be reimbursed what they spent on their insurance because some other people were ignorant or just plain decided not to get insurance?

I agree with the consensus here. While it is a sad moment, Norwegian owed those people nothing. Norwegian has a business to run and they had a contract these people agreed to. They either knew the risk or chose to ignore the risks. I hold nothing against NCL and I am not particular to any one cruise line. Right now I personally choose Norwegian because I sail alone and they provide the best solo set up out of all the lines.

Was it a nice thing that RCI did? Yes. Does this make RCI a better cruise line or make me believe they have better customer service than NCL? No. It was clearly a publicity stunt. NCL has it's faults, RCI had it's faults, Carnival has it's faults. Each one also brings their own player to the game and none of them are perfect.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is really moot and not worthy of thinking too much into it. A clear message that has been made here is that purchasing travel insurance is important. If you don't want the travel insurance, then you take the consequences of that.

I saw this and totally agree with you. Of course, get ready to hear from all the CCers who will say the family should have bought insurance and I agree with them, too, but Jeeze Louise, the family lost EVERYTHING. Even Kevin Sheehan failed to respond. Royal Caribbean went waaaaaay up in my eyes for their compassion. Going from the JEWEL to the EXPLORER of the SEAS ain't too shabby, LOL. Bravo to RCCL!:cool:

I am willing to bet that if the situation was reversed and RCCL was the cruise line that the family had booked on they would not have been so willing to offer a free cruise for the family of six. (there is absolutly NO way they would up it for 8 people) This was a pure publicty stunt, nothing else. To quote May West "Goodness, my dear, had nothing to do with it"

I live and work in New York. My friends wife was killed by the storm. I have friends who lost their homes.I have business customers in Southern Manhattan without Phone,TV or internet just barely surviving. This was a truly devastating storm as was Katrina. The people in the news report lost EVERYTHING. Even if they could have gone on this cruise they didn't have a suitcase or clothes to put in it. NCL could have tried something. The have built a good size clientele in Manhattan and good publicity is something that takes time to achieve, yet can be lost in a moment. Many large corporations in NYC have donated large amounts of money and services to help those in need. NCL took the low road by ignoring ABC TV. The least they could have done is reply. These people who lost their $4000 dollars drive school buses for special needs children. It probably took them a few years to save up for this trip. NCL probably burns $4000 worth of fuel just pulling out of the harbor. Royal Caribbean is the hero in this story period. Too bad NCL you had your chance and threw it away. Take you ship and go back to Florida. New York doesn't need you.

and you're positive the news was telling you the whole story? That and I have a bridge to sell ya. They told us what worked for the story. NCL did stick to their original decision to not provide reimbursement or rebooking. But they made it sound like they didn't respond.

Ultimately, someone every week on every sailing on every cruiseline has an issue that would need to be canceled. The cruiselines cannot be forced to eat the profits every time someone has an issue. What makes this issue more important than a death? a housefire? a broken leg? a car accident on the way to the port? Yes, it seems catastrophic because Sandy was just that. But ultimately, it's up to the traveler to protect themselves and purchasing insurance was how to do just that.

I'm getting tired of paying for people who don't want to take responsibility for themselves. In this case, insurance was their responsibility. Instead, they whined loud enough, played the sympathy card and will continue to perpetuate the notion that yelling loud enough will get you what you want, not what you deserve.

well I could see if they could not get to the port they could ask the cruise line for some flexibility but to risk 4K and not have insurance is not a good idea, I usually look at how far out I am and what then risk is for anything over 1K

I am so sorry for people who suffered losses during Sandy. Rebuilding your life is tough - I know. I lost a sister to a drunk driver and both parents when I was still a young adult. I did not ask for anything from anyone. My good friends helped me and I muddled through and became stronger for it. We all must take responsibility for our own lives and Stop depending upon others (taxpayers, other consumers, etc.) to bail us out. The family in question should have purchased trip insurance - end of discussion. The fact that RCCL seized upon the situation is good publicity for them - that's fine, too. The fact that one poster wants NCL to leave NYC is childish and petty and personifies this country's ridiculous sense of entitlement. One day - all of us who are paying for the dead beats in this country are going to stop producing and paying taxes - then where will all the takers be?

I wonder if they are getting obc also, 8 people maybe 2 cabins 1 week would still run you $700 for tips incedentals over 1,000. Unless they don't drink anything buy anything or take any excursions. ONce again I say hmmmmmmmmmm The news isn't saying anything about all the other info. I have friends that also homes and everything. I think RCCL opened themselves for a lot of grief

No.

Seems to me like Royal Caribbean is struggling to get noticed with all the attention the Breakaway is getting and saw a way to try to divert all the attention from NCL's newest ship......sorry not impressed.

We buy insurance for all major trips which includes cruises and I understand everyone's comments "that is why you should buy insurance" but I am also a believer in compassion and just sometimes wish business would do the right thing........ but it comes down to how much money can you make no matter what. I am not disappointed in NCL, I am disappointed in humanity.

No, there is no shame on NCL! Ask what they offered right away and a bit later. The news does not have the whole story. Do your homework please and find out what NCL did for Sandy victims!

Cherie

I'm glad I am not a Royal Caribbean cruiser. I would be angry that my cruise fare is subsidizing a free cruise for someone else, and even angrier that it was obtained because they got a TV station to yap loud enough.

I should be angry at Royal Caribbean? I don't think so! I think what they did was great. NCL should have let the family reschedule in this situation. That would have been the right thing to do.

Whether they are seasoned cruisers does not matter, ignorance is not an excuse. Are you saying they did not know insurance existed. Whether you book online, through a travel agent or through NCL insurance is offered and must be turned down. They made a concious decision not to take it. Now they have to suffer the consequences, sounds cold but it is what it is.

This EXACTLY! Just for a point of reference here, I bought cruise insurance to make sure it covered a pre-existing condition almost 2 YEARS before our cruise. That insurance, cost me a little more than the TIPS for 1 person. This is for a 10 day cruise, w/o air fare coverage (since we drive, as would be the situation of those we are talking about....) for 4 people. This actually has 100% cancellation AND 150% trip interruption coverage. For the same as the TIPS!

I don't quite understand the comment of "We just lost everything and have nothing, how can we go on vacation?!?" Well.... the vacation was already paid for, you don't have shelter, food, running water right? Does... the ship not have that? Was the house fairy going to come in that 13 days and replace everything you lost and you might miss it? Yes this sound cold, but honestly, what is keeping you FROM going at that point?

Very very few people can just decide to take a vacation on no notice. Is there anyone here who honestly just thinks to themselves "I know, I am going to spend $15,000 including last min airfare on a 7 day cruise for my family!!". I don't think how well to do you are in this situation matters anyways. Being curious, both the grandmother and daughter who paid for the vacation are special needs school bus drivers in New York. A quick Google led me to more than a few school van/small bus drivers in the area. All listed at OVER $20 per hour! I'm sorry, when did making almost 3 TIMES minimum wage mean you were poor?!

I just don't have sympathy for these complainers anymore. I am sorry, we are all not special entitled snow flakes who get to do whatever they want w/o consequences.

Like the mention in the news, $250 would have solved this WHOLE ISSUE. I even think $250 is stretching it! Again, 10 Day Sun Cruise for 4 in a Suite, full insurance for 4 people $153! All I know, is let RCCL have them! If they were to worried about that $150 for insurance, they would have been those ones here on CC that say the tips are to much and I am going to remove them all and tip as I go (not really tipping at all!).

We buy insurance for all major trips which includes cruises and I understand everyone's comments "that is why you should buy insurance" but I am also a believer in compassion and just sometimes wish business would do the right thing........ but it comes down to how much money can you make no matter what. I am not disappointed in NCL, I am disappointed in humanity.

So what if this was a death of a child, husband or other significan person, what if they had a horrible car crash, what if they lost their job s they had for 40 years?

We all have compassion, but where do you draw the line for tragic things, is this tragedy worse then the other things I mentioned. The company has a policy for exactly this reason. And you buy insurance for exactly this reason.

What if you spent 10,000 dollars on a cruise, did not buy insurance, then something bad happened to you and the cruise line denied you and gave these people their money when they complained, would that be ok?

This has nothing to do with how much money you can make as a cruise line. That is the most idiotic statement I have heard. Do you think that a couple of thousand dollars is going to sink NCL? This is about policy and nothing else, break it for one and you set a precident and have to do it for all.

With choices come consequences. NCL held up their end of the contract by sailing, alleged "victims" did not hold up their end of the contract by not sailing. Nor did the "victims" insure their investment. Every day people book cruises and choose not to insure. Then for various reasons they can't sail, but expect compensation as if they had insured. I'm so glad RCCL stepped up and did the "right thing". I hope all of the rest of the NCL passengers who didn't get to sail due to Sandy are contacting RCCL as we speak.

No matter how you slice it, NCL looks bad and RCCL looks good. I bet NCL would gladly pay $4000 to lose the unfavorable impression that is being cast.

For everyone that is saying insurance should have been purchased, how many thousands who suffered damage from sandy are lining up for free government money? Why didn't they have insurance? Same coin, different sides.

This thread has inspired me. I am going to contact RCL and see if they will give me a free cruise. I booked an inside room on the Breakaway. I am 12 day out and they have not offered me a free upgrade to a balcony yet. How cruel and cold-hearted is NCL? I mean really?! :)

No matter how you slice it, NCL looks bad and RCCL looks good. I bet NCL would gladly pay $4000 to lose the unfavorable impression that is being cast.

For everyone that is saying insurance should have been purchased, how many thousands who suffered damage from sandy are lining up for free government money? Why didn't they have insurance? Same coin, different sides.

No. Pax voluntarily give ncl money in return for a cruise. Taxpayers are forced to pay taxes that go to run our govt and care for its society It is apples and oranges. Not same coin. It is capitalism versus democracy. Should everything we want be free? Clothes groceries? Should private industry be socialized? Stop drinking the kool aid.

I don't think you can compare trip insurance with home insurance. Losing out on a trip for a couple thousand is not the same as losing hundreds of thousands. Just because you have home owners insurance doesn't mean they automatically pay out.

One day - all of us who are paying for the dead beats in this country are going to stop producing and paying taxes - then where will all the takers be?

Couldn't agree more with the need for insurance in this case.

Was also waiting for when the Tea Party button would be pushed with full force... and here's our winner!

Seems to me like Royal Caribbean is struggling to get noticed with all the attention the Breakaway is getting and saw a way to try to divert all the attention from NCL's newest ship......sorry not impressed.

Exactly what I was thinking!

I would not want to be a RCCL rep today - they are going to get hammered with phone calls from people in the exact situation as this family looking to be "helped out"!

Archived