Shame of Norwegian

BOBfromNJ

Though NCL wasn't obligated to refund the money, this story getting press attention is bad for NCL. Bad press is bad press (even when NCL did nothing wrong) and reflects poorly upon a company. Look at Carnival for an (extreme) example.

I understand why they would refuse, though. If they placate one family they would have to address everyone affected by the event.

They did not have to refund the money. Simply allowing the family to reschedule the cruise would have been the right thing to do in this particular situation. I can't understand why they refused to that. That was the reasonable thing to do.

pieshops,

I am very sorry about losses with Superstorm Sandy.

However, I have a different question about this story and that is the timing of it. Why is this story coming out Now, when Norwegian's newest ship is due to sail from Southampton, United Kingdom to New York city in just a few hours.

For me, I see it as just the amount of time it took for the family to go to the media and find a cruise line to be the hero of the story... Carnival should have jumped on this one :D

I saw this and totally agree with you. Of course, get ready to hear from all the CCers who will say the family should have bought insurance and I agree with them, too, but Jeeze Louise, the family lost EVERYTHING. Even Kevin Sheehan failed to respond. Royal Caribbean went waaaaaay up in my eyes for their compassion. Going from the JEWEL to the EXPLORER of the SEAS ain't too shabby, LOL. Bravo to RCCL!:cool:

I hope you were this hard on RCCC when they stranded a lot of passengers in the Caribbean last year, left to get home on their own. Those that had insurance had someone to turn to, those that did not were on their own.

Also, I hope you gave Kudos to NCL when they brought Carnival passengers home earlier this year.

I'm sure this did not happen to just this one family. Is rccl going to give free cruises to everyone who had to cancel their cruise and didn't get any money back due to horrible circumstances??

I've been wondering the same thing. Heck, while they're at it, how about all those folks in my region that lost vacations when their homes were destroyed in floods 2 years in a row. Where was the press speaking up for them? They took the loss if they didn't have insurance and no one stood up to the travel industry on their behalf.

I was SO angry when I saw the news tonight (and I'm a big channel 7 fan - I think Nina's going to get a piece of my mind). The report was very slanted against NCL. First of all there was no mention of insurance. That's just wrong. What's worse is Royal just set a precedent that could potentially screw them. I know it sounds like Royal did a wonderful thing and Norwegian was simply horrible. But business IS business. If Norwegian allowed all the people affected cancel, they could lose a lot of business. Bottom line is they are a for-profit company. And when you make exceptions for one, you have to make them for all.

I hope Royal is prepared to give lots of people free cruises based on that. Or at least field a LOT of phone calls with "what about me".

While I can sympathize with the people who lost everything and understand they couldn't go, if you're going to spend that much on a vacation, spend the 10% more on insurance for the piece of mind. I'm really tired of people not taking responsibility for their own issues.

I would love to see your response to Nina. I think it is important to point out the 1/2 truths in the article. Do they work for the legit news or the tabloids. A fair story would bring to the front the part where they rejected the insurance. Personal responsibility is all I'm saying :)

So RCCL has done nothing. Carnival donated millions. NCL offered 150 people to board the new Breakaway when it hits NYC. News Station bought 8 people a cruise on RCCL.

I'm still trying to figure out why the family didn't take the NCL cruise?

Really, you can't figure out why a family devastated by Sandy didn't think they should cruise? Have you seen the pictures, heard the stories or walked in their shoes. I live at the Jersey shore and this storm was worse than anything we have ever seen. Six months later people are still living in shelters and trying to figure out what they are going to do. We have children going to schools in churches and empty buildings, towns that are still deserted and guess what, even with insurance the damage is beyond their means.

Well put - you can "talk" with your dollars. That's the American way. I personally believe the family should have had insurance - period. In no way do I blame NCL. I'm also pretty sick and tired of entitled people (not you, poster). Makes me want to move somewhere else.

we are going nuts over here trying to figure where we can move to....serously, any ideas?

not joking either:)

Really, you can't figure out why a family devastated by Sandy didn't think they should cruise? Have you seen the pictures, heard the stories or walked in their shoes. I live at the Jersey shore and this storm was worse than anything we have ever seen. Six months later people are still living in shelters and trying to figure out what they are going to do. We have children going to schools in churches and empty buildings, towns that are still deserted and guess what, even with insurance the damage is beyond their means.

To clear up your comment, I would ask why they are cruising now if they are still in the condition they were when Sandy struck and/or when they didn't go on the NCL cruise..

I agree that the OP has not written again and has not been on NCL. I am going on my fourth Norwegian cruise in three weeks. I also take insurance out and would not expect the cruise line to let me cruise free . The OP only wanted to stir things up against NCL.

NCL has certainly made a bad impression with me on how they handled this situation and Royal Caribbean has made a good impression. I prefer companies that put customer service first and will keep that in mind when booking.

Public relations is a funny thing as it's most obvious when done poorly and often not even noticed when done well. In this case the two companies reacted very differently and that will forever leave an impression with many paying customers. This isn't the first story I've read where NCL fumbled - they need to get their act together.

People who cruise suffer tragedies. That is why there is travel insurance. NCL can not and should not bail families out whenever they have a tragedy and have to miss a cruise but did not purchase insurance. It is not their responsibility, neither legally nor morally. It's like purchasing a car, not purchasing insurance, having your car totalled by a natural disaster, and expecting the car dealership to just give you another car.....why would anyone expect a car dealership to do that??? Would you stop going to that dealership because they didn't give that person a new car? Silly reasoning if you ask me.
You're speaking in absolutes as if there is only one answer. It doesn't really matter what we think as it is obvious that NCL botched their response and they looked like amateurs next to their competition.

Eh, at least RCCC got the positive publicity they've needed since they left all those passengers stranded in the Caribbean to fen for themselves last year. That story in itself made me a total believer in buying travel insurance, as it should for everyone.

I am so sorry for people who suffered losses during Sandy. Rebuilding your life is tough - I know. I lost a sister to a drunk driver and both parents when I was still a young adult. I did not ask for anything from anyone. My good friends helped me and I muddled through and became stronger for it. We all must take responsibility for our own lives and Stop depending upon others (taxpayers, other consumers, etc.) to bail us out. The family in question should have purchased trip insurance - end of discussion. The fact that RCCL seized upon the situation is good publicity for them - that's fine, too. The fact that one poster wants NCL to leave NYC is childish and petty and personifies this country's ridiculous sense of entitlement. One day - all of us who are paying for the dead beats in this country are going to stop producing and paying taxes - then where will all the takers be?

So very sad but true.

The media gives and the people just eat it up.

I don't know how the general public has reacted to this publicity stunt, but on these boards it seems that most have seen through the veneer and believe NCL acted properly.

It would be interesting to know how heavily Royal and the media are being bombarded by the "me too" crowd wanting their free cruises !!

I don't know how the general public has reacted to this publicity stunt, but on these boards it seems that most have seen through the veneer and believe NCL acted properly.

It would be interesting to know how heavily Royal and the media are being bombarded by the "me too" crowd wanting their free cruises !!

Haven't seen the answer yet, but I'm wondering how the RCCC cruisers that lost out are reacting to see this gift to someone that wasn't even on their cruise line.

You're speaking in absolutes as if there is only one answer. It doesn't really matter what we think as it is obvious that NCL botched their response and they looked like amateurs next to their competition.

Your opinion that NCL botched their response seems to be in the minority on this thread. I don't think their image suffered a whole lot even with the media half truths:rolleyes:.

Your opinion that NCL botched their response seems to be in the minority on this thread. I don't think their image suffered a whole lot even with the media half truths:rolleyes:.

In the real world which is what matters most, their image did suffer a lot. The public has a short memory though. Most don't even know what cruise line they have been on. Only that it was a cruise.

The response on this board is shortsighted. All the cruise lines should be reasonable about their cancellation policies when there are extenuating circumstances. Not refunding but allowing a resheduale. If you read the Royal Caribbean boards you would have noted threads from time to time from passengers thanking Royal Caribbean for letting passengers reschedule when there was illness or death in the family. Their policy has not been hardnosed like NCL's. I think the Royal Caribbean way will build brand loyalty and return customers. NCL will remain disliked. And NCL is disliked by many veteran cruisers.

In the real world which is what matters most, their image did suffer a lot. The public has a short memory though. Most don't even know what cruise line they have been on. Only that it was a cruise.

The response on this board is shortsighted. All the cruise lines should be reasonable about their cancellation policies when there are extenuating circumstances. Not refunding but allowing a resheduale. If you read the Royal Caribbean boards you would have noted threads from time to time from passengers thanking Royal Caribbean for letting passengers reschedule when there was illness or death in the family. Their policy has not been hardnosed like NCL's. I think the Royal Caribbean way will build brand loyalty and return customers. NCL will remain disliked. And NCL is disliked by many veteran cruisers.

I don't know that being "shortsighted" has anything to do with it. NCL made a business decision. Maybe it was a bad one, but hopefully they considered the circumstances and weighed the company's policies, etc. before acting.

Least you forget that RCCC left passengers stranded and did not help them get home, that's the policy that sticks with me. Heck, even when Carnival had to leave passengers, they at least paid to get their passengers home. As far as NCL, they brought Carnival passengers home a few months ago and they've contributed a lot to the red cross, etc to help ALL the victims, where they need it most, not just the ones that refuse to take personal responsibility.

I hope you were this hard on RCCC when they stranded a lot of passengers in the Caribbean last year, left to get home on their own. Those that had insurance had someone to turn to, those that did not were on their own.

Also, I hope you gave Kudos to NCL when they brought Carnival passengers home earlier this year.

I know nothing about RCCL stranding passengers, but if they did, I think they showed a lack of compassion. I'm a big fan of NCL and if they helped stranded Carnival passengers get home this year, they absolutely get kudos from me. I knew people on these boards would play the insurance card and I never cruise without insurance, but, live and learn. I'm glad the two little boys in the family, after what they've been through, are going on a cruise, and see no reason NCL couldn't have let the family choose a later date.

Archived