Am currently on the bumpy Allure.. Any questions?

jarz85

I would also like to know the speed of the internet. To get my son along on a cruise (which would be cool) is dependent upon a not too slow connection. Can you use skype for example? Or facetime?

When I went last year we had a little movement. It helped to look out at the waves. But its part of the deal, isn't it?

Klaus

I would also like to know the speed of the internet. To get my son along on a cruise (which would be cool) is dependent upon a not too slow connection. Can you use skype for example? Or facetime?

When I went last year we had a little movement. It helped to look out at the waves. But its part of the deal, isn't it?

Klaus

I've not yet seen Skype or Facetime functional using the ship's internet. Maybe this will change as Royal transitions to their new provider.

Whoever said you won't feel movements on the mega ships is wrong.....

Comments like that always made me laugh!

I don't care HOW BIG the ship is, you are still on a TINY floating object compared to the size of the vast oceans. There will be motion, of course the larger the ship the less motion, but there will be motion at times!

To the OP, enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Call me crazy, but I'm actually glad to hear that you can feel motion on these ships. One of the things that I did NOT like about our Allure cruise was exactly because we didn't feel any motion. Feeling at sea is one of the things I look forward to when I cruise. It felt like we were docked the entire week. :(

Comments like that always made me laugh!

I don't care HOW BIG the ship is, you are still on a TINY floating object compared to the size of the vast oceans. There will be motion, of course the larger the ship the less motion, but there will be motion at times!

To the OP, enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Let me add when conditions are right (large swells spaced far apart due to far off storms) a large ship may have an much more uncomfortable ride then a small vessel.

I was on Allure last year, the wind was so strong that they closed some of the deck. It was non stop rolling and bouncing. My wife and I along with my parent enjoyed it very much. We love the pool since it was mostly empty due to the wind. It became a nice wave pool.

I'm now worried as I get seasick and I just booked Deck 12 on the Allure. Do you know if the Medical Centre provides the Bonine seasick tablets free like on the Radiance of the Seas? I'm from Canada and I can't buy Bonine here. The Canadian equivalent of Bonine doesn't work for me. Also, my DH would be interested in the cost of the unlimited internet as well. Thanks for any info. Enjoy your cruise.

In Canada, look for Bonine at the dive shops -- I found it here in Ontario -- worth a phone call if you have a scuba diving school or shop near you.

what cabin are you in, do you think that matters, I have a friend going and she is at the front of the ship, would she feel motion if the seas are smooth?

I too am in the front of the ship deck 12 in Sept - interested in the feedback.

If you go to the Captains Corner could you please ask when and where Allure will go into dry dock.

Thanks in advance

Glen

Australia

I just got off the Allure today (Incredible ship :)) and this was asked. They said it would be in 5 years from Initial sailing so Dec 2015 and will be in Holland. They said there's no US or N or S American port that has a drydock big enough to handle this big girl! :D

Sailing in 2weeks, who was your cruise director? Hope the rest of your trip was smooth sailing!

Thank,

Patrice

The cruise Director was Ken Rush who was brilliant!!! Sounds like he;s got a head start to be the CD for Quantum when it comes out as he was MC for the reveal in New York shortly before coming back on the Allure!

What I did find out was the Quantum is being built at Myers Wharf in Belgium. Once it is built it will need to reverse its self out for 50 miles as that is how far inland it is.

Also, it will be the same height as the Explorer to be able to go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It will be built around November 2014 and is then replacing the Explorer early 2015.

That was from Captains Corner from Hendrick the Captain of the Explorer. :)

Hope some of that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I did find out was the Quantum is being built at Myers Wharf in Belgium. Once it is built it will need to reverse its self out for 50 miles as that is how far inland it is.

Also, it will be the same height as the Explorer to be able to go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It will be built around November 2014 and is then replacing the Explorer early 2015.

That was from Captains Corner from Hendrick the Captain of the Explorer. :)

Hope some of that helps.

I thought the shipyard was in Papenburg Germany?

I thought the shipyard was in Papenburg Germany?

Not sure. This is what was said so I suppose we'll need to wait and see.

for seasickness i go with the very magical sea bands!!!

they're a miracle (for me anyway)..

you can probably buy them on the ship for about $16...definitely worth every penny!!!! :)

I agree with this 1000%. I tried pills, patches, ginger....nothing worked. I would be seasick for a day and a half on every cruise. That is until I got Sea Bands. They are like flicking a switch. If i start to get at all sea sick i put the bands on and within 5 minutes I am 100%. I now just wear them the whole time and will never go back. Worth the money for sure. Walmart has them a bit cheaper than $16 I think around $8 - $10.

I agree with this 1000%. I tried pills, patches, ginger....nothing worked. I would be seasick for a day and a half on every cruise. That is until I got Sea Bands. They are like flicking a switch. If i start to get at all sea sick i put the bands on and within 5 minutes I am 100%. I now just wear them the whole time and will never go back. Worth the money for sure. Walmart has them a bit cheaper than $16 I think around $8 - $10.

same with me...

the first time i used them, within 5 minutes of putting them on, i felt better..

now i leave them on the entire cruise and then for a few days afterwards....

last october, my disney cruise really rocked and rolled due to hurricane sandy...and while i felt the movement (it was insanely rocking), i wasn't sick at all....not even the slightest bit!......amazing!!

Not sure. This is what was said so I suppose we'll need to wait and see.

Maybe Belgium was just a slip of the tongue? The Q of the Seas is being built by M-W in Papenburg and she will have to make that backwards trip down the Ems River

Klaus

I just came off a B2B on the allure on sunday.

I used skype every day from my stateroom using a samsung galaxy S3 never had a problem with it, smooth video and clear sound :)

Archived