Camp Carnival Questions??

Prinycesa07

We're leaving Sunday so just trying to get last minute things sorted. My son just turned 2 a few weeks ago so isn't potty trained yet. Do I bring a diaper bag to camp for him? Am I suppose to label his stuff? Can I leave a sippy cup for him? And one more question (I'm full of questions lol), Is it okay if he doesn't participate in the organized activities? My 3 yr old will love all of the crafts & activities but he is a wild child who doesn't sit still longer than 2 seconds so arts & crafts or anything like that wont work. Will he be allowed to just play with the toys or run around during these times? He's a wild wild 2 yr old boy, need I say more LOL

We're leaving Sunday so just trying to get last minute things sorted. My son just turned 2 a few weeks ago so isn't potty trained yet. Do I bring a diaper bag to camp for him? Am I suppose to label his stuff? Can I leave a sippy cup for him? And one more question (I'm full of questions lol), Is it okay if he doesn't participate in the organized activities? My 3 yr old will love all of the crafts & activities but he is a wild child who doesn't sit still longer than 2 seconds so arts & crafts or anything like that wont work. Will he be allowed to just play with the toys or run around during these times? He's a wild wild 2 yr old boy, need I say more LOL

Individual rules can vary from ship to ship, and are set by the youth program director, so prepare the best you can and be flexible, and you will be fine. Yes bring a diaper bag for your 2 year old, and it never hurts to label your child's things. They should have emergency supplies if you do forget to drop it off on a visit, however. (I have been that parent picking my child up in a generic pullup and Camp Carnival shirt.) I believe that sippy cups were ok, but only for water - again check with the Camp staff to make sure. Camp Carnival is pretty structured, so I am not sure that the 2 year old will have a good time if he doesn't participate. Check to see when they have toy times, and free play, (usually on port mornings) if you want a freer environment. I have had a wide range of experiences regarding the changing of activities. When my oldest son (now 6) was small, he cried when they made him put the toys away to move on to another activity. However, my younger two boys (4 and 3) loved the wide range of activities. My personal belief is that they staff are very good with the little ones (2&3), and will go out of their way to make sure your children will have a good time (especially if there is a small number of children onboard).

Excellent questions. If you do not get more responses, I will expect (hope for) a full report when you come back.... I will also be curious about your beach days with the little one. (I am still dreaming about Half Moon Cay).

I have been compiling suggestions from everywhere...Here are a couple that you may or may not have seen....

"Before leaving home, I made several “diaper baggies.” Like the meal baggies, this is just another step to simplify things by ensuring that you have everything you need for a diaper change outside of your cabin. A diaper baggy is a quart-size Ziploc bag holding one diaper (folded in half) and one disposable changing pad. When needed, simply remove the contents of the baggy (and the travel-size wipes), change the baby’s diaper, put the soiled diaper into the Ziploc & discard. This also keeps the diapers and changing pads from getting smashed out of shape in the diaper bag. I would suggest taking 2 baggies per day ashore."

"Before we left home, I prepared "meal baggies" so that we could just grab one and run if we were in a hurry. Each breakfast meal bag was a quart-sized Ziploc bag containing a small plastic spoon, a small plastic (disposable) bowl, a packet of cereal (one-serving samples obtained from our pediatrician or can purchase a box of 6 at Wal-Mart), a 4-oz jar of fruit, and a disposable bib. The lunch/dinner meal bags had a bib, spoon, 6-oz dinner and 4-oz fruit. There were times when we were headed out the door when we knew that mealtime was approaching, so we just grabbed a bag instead of having to gather everything and make sure that we hadn't forgotten a spoon/bib/etc. Everything was thrown away after the meal, so there were no spoons or bowls to wash. I once took plastic bibs, but those didn't soak up the food so we had to be careful not to smear it everywhere. Bibsters by Pampers are ideal. The First Years also makes some great disposable infant spoons that are ideal for travel (12 for $2.99 at Target, Wal-Mart)."

"You might also consider taking along some disposable sippy cups (by The First Years, 4 for $2.00 at Target, Wal-Mart). They’re great for use on the island or at dinner—just use them and leave them behind. Recently, our Dollar Tree stores have begun carrying a similar disposable cup (6 for $1).However, you would still want to take along some real sippy cups so that you won’t have to pack so many of the disposables. "

"For checking on them during the night without turning on the brighter lights/lamps. I bought some small touch lights (2 for $1.00) at our local Dollar Tree that are perfect for this. Just remember not to put batteries in BEFORE you put them in the suitcase—trust me! "

" Baby Powder (Toddlers learn really early that sand doesn't taste good. Baby powder quickly dries up their hands and makes the sand fall right off.)"

Thanks ladies!

Awesome tips. The baby powder one is interesting, i better go to target today to pick some up!

I hope thats not true about the structured play as he will not stay in there but i'm flexible, whatever happens we go with it :) I will definitley let you know!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from our cruise today. Sippy cups are allowed & they labeled his stuff. Also they let them play with toys & are fine with them not participating in structured activities. Actually they said they pretty much expect that from a 2 yr old. Mine hated it but hopefully yours does better!!

Thanks for the follow up!:) It is so hard to tell what kids will or won't do. I have hoping that Makyra will enjoy it. Her cousin is coming along, so I have high hopes. Did you have success with the kiddos at the beach? And what did you think of Half Moon? :cool:

I hope yours loves it! It would have been SO nice if mine did lol. But the 3 yr old wanted to be there all day!

Omg half moon= most gorgeous place EVER!! My kids loved it. They had a kids area that my 3 yr old player in for hours. There were 3 water slides & a sprinkler thing. My kids loved the beach so much. And then there was also a playground back by the lunch area. They cried when we had to get back on the ship (I almost did myself lol). Our next cruise will def stop here again!!

Just found this forum today! We are leaving on Friday with 2 boys ages 5 and 3 1/2. Im worried about the camp. They have separation anxiety. They are usually ok when I drop them off at daycare but will have no parts of the grocery store kids watch. They also do bad when being left with certain babysitters like ones they dont know as well. Im going in expecting the worse but hoping for the best. Everyone raves about it but I just dont know. They are very attached to us.

We have an oceanview room on the Splendor. Im hoping I can fit them both on the pull out sofa.

Archived