Bernards Private Tour advice

This June, my family and friends booked a private tour with Bernards Tour for our one day in port. I would really appreciate hearing from others who have done this private tour with Bernards to learn more about what you did and what you thought. If you've done the private tour, can you share your itinerary and thoughts of your trip? What did you like most? What would you have done differently? Was there a place you wish you had time to visit but didn't. Did you take in any of the beaches, and if so, which ones.

We are very excited about the potential this tour holds, and would really like to get the most out of it by being prepared and understanding our best choices.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

We did this tour a few years ago (2010) and we really enjoyed it. There was so much to see and do.

Hopefully I'll be able answer some of your questions.

can you share your itinerary and thoughts of your trip? I recommend you get in one of the smaller vans (more personal experience) and not the large bus.

What did you like most? We really liked all of the tour however, our favorite was Maho Beach where the planes fly over your head (check you tube).

What would you have done differently? Not sure I would have done anything differently.

Was there a place you wish you had time to visit but didn't. Would have liked to have a bit more time in Marigot on the French side.

Did you take in any of the beaches, and if so, which ones. We were able to spend quite a bit of time at Orient Beach which was fun (be advised that there is some topless sunbathers) Plus there is a nude beach there, but it can be easily avoided if you don't wish to partake. :eek:

We were also given a little bit of time to shop. Not sure if the tour has changed much in the last few years, but we felt it was well worth it and the price was reasonable for all we got to see and do.

Have fun!

I agree! We took a group tour with Bernard and thought there was not enough time in Marigot...in fact, we only had time for a bathroom stop there because the rest of the group did not come back when they were supposed to at the other stops! We also did not get enough time at Maho! We saw a few smaller planes but had to be back to the bus before the big ones came in.

We spent too much time with the Urchin Man. It is very picturesque where he is located, and taking pics there is fine but we wasted a good half hour seeing and holding the sea creatures. We spent a bit too much time at Orient since we did not plan to swim.

You are smart to plan a private tour so you can pick and choose what you do and how long you stay!

Lauri

We had a wonderful experience with Bernard's tours. We got a thorough tour of both sides of the island, plenty of time at Orient Beach (it was very easy to avoid the "clothing optional part" and we did not see any nudity), too much time in Marigot, and plenty of time at Maho Beach. The included cold beverages (esp Rum Punch) was very refreshing too!

I wouldn't hesitate to tour with them again, or to recommend it to my friends.

A group of 15 booked with Bernard’s Tour and “Mailman” was our tour guide on May 2nd. Being a private tour we could change the itinerary. Basically we let our tour guide determine the stops but we decided no beach time and we stayed longer at Maho Beach to see the planes and ate at the Sunset Bar & Grill.

The famous rum punch, beer, sodas and water were available during the tour.

This was the second time for 4 of us that we did a private tour with Bernard.

It is well worth it.

My only regret...we did not think of getting some Guavaberry Rum and wished we had stopped to get some.

Have fun and enjoy St Maarten.

Laura

A group of 15 booked with Bernard’s Tour and “Mailman” was our tour guide on May 2nd. Being a private tour we could change the itinerary. Basically we let our tour guide determine the stops but we decided no beach time and we stayed longer at Maho Beach to see the planes and ate at the Sunset Bar & Grill.

The famous rum punch, beer, sodas and water were available during the tour.

This was the second time for 4 of us that we did a private tour with Bernard.

It is well worth it.

My only regret...we did not think of getting some Guavaberry Rum and wished we had stopped to get some.

Have fun and enjoy St Maarten.

Laura

How much did he charge for a private tour for 4 people?

Once you are taken to Orient Beach are chairs provided, or is there an additional charge? If so, how much per chair? Thanks!

My GF and I were there on Saturday. Chairs cost $10 for 2 chairs with an umbrella and a coupon for 2 rum punches. The beach is very nice, it is on the Atlantic side of the island so the waves are larger (not surfing type waves but about what you would find at most beaches in Florida), water was clear and beautiful. Beware that it is common to see topless sun bathers though. The vast majority were wearing full swim attire, but it was still common to see bare breasts.

We went with Bernard on a group tour. He was rude and acted as if he could care less if we enjoyed it. I have heard such wonderful things about his tour so maybe we just caught him on a bad day.....but I don't recommend it.

We went with Bernard on a group tour. He was rude and acted as if he could care less if we enjoyed it. I have heard such wonderful things about his tour so maybe we just caught him on a bad day.....but I don't recommend it.

Did you e-mail Bernard and discuss your displeasure with the tour? He wants his customers to have a good experience. Never known him to be rude to anyone. Could you be more specific and give details? When was your tour?

Bernard’s e-mail

bernard1332002atyahoodotcom

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Archived