gondolas in venice

Hi- not sure of the current prices as it is some years ago we did it, think we paid about £40 ten years ago! However, it's a once in a lifetime thing. You might want to look in the "quieter" (relatively) areas as the prices used to vary- the ones right by St Mark's square were known to be dearer.

Also look at the water conditions- it can get a bit choppy on the Grand Canal.

Sometimes the ship does a group excursion that can work out a bit cheaper.

Or for a real cheap ride- the Traghetto (hope I've got that name right) that are small ferry type gondolas that go across the canal at marked points is fun- only cost us 50 cents each about 5 years ago.

kate

We went to venice last year and hoped to do this, but when i saw the gondolas they looked black vinyl plastic and cheap and i was really disappointed. We are cruising this week as well on the Majesty our second week.

we are in Venice on the first of July ??? but we have booked a half day tour with Thomson which includes a gondola ride and St Marks square... may not be the romantic "just one Cornetto moment" as you have to share up to 6 in a Gondola but for the price i think its pretty good at £47 each. my sister in law went 2 yrs ago and a gondola itself was over £40 each. plus if the tour is rubbish you can just leave and wander by yourself.

We went to venice last year and hoped to do this, but when i saw the gondolas they looked black vinyl plastic and cheap and i was really disappointed. We are cruising this week as well on the Majesty our second week.

We were in Venice 2 years ago on a stay and cruise organised by the nice man with white hair and beard. No not the KFC guy. Agreed most of the gondolas looked like they came from a mould, although a few looked original. There is so much to do in Venice during the day we didn't think about a trip. Then in the evening the queues were long and wasn't prepared to wait.

The most expensive travel is by water taxi. They zoom around at high speed but a 5 minute trip can cost up to 40 euros each.

We found the best value were the water buses, vaporetti. We had a day in Venice at the end of our cruise as our flight was 8.00pm. We bought day passes at 35 euros as I remember and spent the day visiting all the other islands,going up and down The Grand Canal and across to The Lido. We bought our picnic from a local bakery where prices were quite reasonable. It was a great day.

many thanks for all the replies, I will take it under advisement !! "he who must/thinks" should be obeyed ? says we will "wait and see" what the weather is like - ha ha - been to venice twice, , 1st time, st marks square was under construction ! 2nd time, never stopped raining !, so maybe third time lucky, but whatever will be will be ! starting to gather/buy items for hols, cant wait xx:)

When we went 2 years ago we paid 100 euros for 6 of us. However there really isn't enough room for 6 to sit comfortably. When you get in the gondola it's very unstable and one by one you have to position yourself very carefully as it is very unstable! Frankly I'm glad we went around the smaller canals- it was good but if you're even slightly afraid of small canoe type boats then I suggest you don't bother. You can walk by some of the canals anyway and get almost the same experience. I was amazed by Venice, but as others have said it is very busy with boats pelting everywhere, even though there is supposed to be a speed limit. I would not want to be in a gondola in the busy areas. I will not go in one again. I think it is one of those experiences that people say you have to have - but frankly I've found that a lot of these things are a bit of hype. Sorry to sound like mRs Meldrew;)

hi, we are on the majesty on 14th june, and will be visiting venice, anyone know how much a ride on a gondola, is, and is it worth it, , thanks for any info

We to will be in Venice same day ,we have prebooked Thomson tour with Gondola ride in it ,we have been to Venice before and had a Gondola ride but brother is with us and he hasn't so will do it again.It is one of those things that you have to do when in Venice .:)

we are in Venice on the first of July ??? but we have booked a half day tour with Thomson which includes a gondola ride and St Marks square... may not be the romantic "just one Cornetto moment" as you have to share up to 6 in a Gondola but for the price i think its pretty good at £47 each. my sister in law went 2 yrs ago and a gondola itself was over £40 each. plus if the tour is rubbish you can just leave and wander by yourself.

We did the 6 in a boat Gondola ride a few years ago on a Venice excursion and it was an add on to the excursion at the time. then it was £25p.p. for the ride. They took us down the side canals and later right out into the Grand Canal.

Was not romantic like a Gondola to yourselves but it was fun and at least we can say we've done it.

Berwyn

Archived