Pre-Cruise Options for Port Canaveral Sailing

RVr2Cruiser

Might be taking 3-night Disney Dream to Bahamas this summer (depends on 13-yr old granddaughter's math grade :)). Wondering about pre-cruise hotel options. Saw in one posting about a Fishlips restaurant in Cocoa Beach? Also about taking an Enterprise car back and then their shuttle to the ship. Still in early planning stages, so all info would be appreciated. Do not have time to package 3-4 days at WDW, but one day prior to sailing would be ok, and she's never been to the ocean/beach. Flying into Orlando, I presume, but not sure transportation options for early arrival. Thanks.

Might be taking 3-night Disney Dream to Bahamas this summer (depends on 13-yr old granddaughter's math grade :)). Wondering about pre-cruise hotel options. Saw in one posting about a Fishlips restaurant in Cocoa Beach? Also about taking an Enterprise car back and then their shuttle to the ship. Still in early planning stages, so all info would be appreciated. Do not have time to package 3-4 days at WDW, but one day prior to sailing would be ok, and she's never been to the ocean/beach. Flying into Orlando, I presume, but not sure transportation options for early arrival. Thanks.

LOTS of options depending on what you want to do. Hotel areas--Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area, MCO (airport) area, or WDW area. Each has advantages and disadvantages. MCO hotels tend to be less costly (we do Priceline for an overnight stay before the cruise!), but there is not much to do there. WDW area is great if we have time to enjoy something Disney. If you don't have time for a Disney stay, would she enjoy a day at a water park? Personally, I think one day park tickets are too costly, but that's just me. Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral you have the beach and space center.

To get to any/all...WDW hotel, you can do Magical Express (no cost, serves WDW resorts). For most others, you'd need a rental car. You pay for a rental car by 24 hour time block, so cost is the same whether you have it for 23 hours or 2 hours. The rental car places at Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach offer complimentary shuttle service to the cruise terminal, so you can return the car and use their shuttle to get to the ship. Another hint--you can take your luggage to the cruise terminal and drop it off with the porter and then return the car. This saves loading luggage to the car then to the shuttle then to the ship.

I've stayed in all 3 areas. It just depends on how much time we have and what we want to do. There are nice hotels in all areas. We generally do well with a 2.5* bid on Priceline because at that level the hotel includes breakfast and shuttle service to/from MCO for airport area hotels. The breakfast is standard at that level. Many Cocoa Beach hotels have shuttle service to the cruise terminal--some are included with a stay, some with a "cruise package," and some for an additional fee. You have to check with the hotel you are booking.

One hint....a 4 night cruise is MUCH nicer than a 3 night, and doesn't cost a lot more by the time you have factored in the air, ground transportation, hotel, etc. If there is any way possible, I'd highly recommend at least a 4 night cruise.

Consider other rental car options as well . Rent the car at MCO and drive to Cocoa Beach/ Port Canaveral .

LOTS of options depending on what you want to do. Hotel areas--Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral area' date=' MCO (airport) area, or WDW area. Each has advantages and disadvantages. MCO hotels tend to be less costly (we do Priceline for an overnight stay before the cruise!), but there is not much to do there. WDW area is great if we have time to enjoy something Disney. If you don't have time for a Disney stay, would she enjoy a day at a water park? Personally, I think one day park tickets are too costly, but that's just me. Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral you have the beach and space center.

To get to any/all...WDW hotel, you can do Magical Express (no cost, serves WDW resorts). For most others, you'd need a rental car. You pay for a rental car by 24 hour time block, so cost is the same whether you have it for 23 hours or 2 hours. The rental car places at Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach offer complimentary shuttle service to the cruise terminal, so you can return the car and use their shuttle to get to the ship. Another hint--you can take your luggage to the cruise terminal and drop it off with the porter and then return the car. This saves loading luggage to the car then to the shuttle then to the ship.

I've stayed in all 3 areas. It just depends on how much time we have and what we want to do. There are nice hotels in all areas. We generally do well with a 2.5* bid on Priceline because at that level the hotel includes breakfast and shuttle service to/from MCO for airport area hotels. The breakfast is standard at that level. Many Cocoa Beach hotels have shuttle service to the cruise terminal--some are included with a stay, some with a "cruise package," and some for an additional fee. You have to check with the hotel you are booking.

One hint....a 4 night cruise is MUCH nicer than a 3 night, and doesn't cost a lot more by the time you have factored in the air, ground transportation, hotel, etc. If there is any way possible, I'd highly recommend at least a 4 night cruise.[/quote']

There are a number of reasonably priced hotels in /near the port area. We usually stay closer in hotels closer to Cocoa Beach (near the air force base). Keep in mind most hotels have a 100ft grass/tree buffer between them and the beach.

Many are right on the beach.

If you only have the one day before the cruise and are flying home the last day of the cruise, here is my suggestion. Rent a car from the Orlando airport and drive to Cocoa Beach. That way you have the car and can drive around to find someplace to eat or do something if the weather does not cooperate with a beach day. Turn the car in next morning and have them drive you to the ship. As a previous poster said, I would drop my bags at the DCL check-in, turn in the car, then have the car shuttle return you to the pier. When you return from the cruise have the Disney bus return you to the airport (reserve this is advance).

Fishlips restaurant is on the waterfront across from the terminals. This is where the Port Canaveral webcam is located. This is a picture taken from the Fantasy.

8706936199_ce33aa6a8a_c.jpg

A couple of thoughts:

I agree with Moki'sMommy, another day on the cruise would be my suggestion.

note: they still had to drag me off a 4 day....but, I didn't cry in front of the children :D

I've learned that once I buy the airfare and actually get to the vacation area, that I might as well spend an extra day or two. Getting there is a big expense, especially now with all the higher fares and fees.

I would always regret that I hadn't gone ahead and stayed an extra day or two when I didn't do that. Heck, I was already there and I didn't have enough time to do this or that.

Can't tell by your post if she has been to Disney World or not in the past.. if not, I would really suggest going in two days early. One day to take care of the travel time, catch the Disney bus (no charge) to one of the resorts.

Pick one with a great pool - as most 13 year olds love the pools. You could enjoy the resort after your flight and then do Downtown Disney that evening (no entrance fees)

The next day go to one of the parks and spend the day.

Then the next morning take the Disney Shuttle to the port.

She will get to see the ocean and go to the beach once you're on the cruise. So, if she's not been to Disney World (or only there once) - I'd do a pre-Disney World stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thought? We stayed at a Downtown Disney hotel. We rented a car at the airport, drove to the hotel, went to Downtown Disney to get our 'Disney' fix and to get excited about our cruise being immersed in all the Disney ambiance. The next morning, drove to Port Canaveral, hubs dropped all of us off, dropped off the rental car and they shuttled him back to the ship. Easy peasy and great fun!:)

Archived