Seabourn captain?

JayNu

Anyone know the name of the captain (a very handsome man at that!) who was in the Seabourn brochures during the late 90's? He was photographed with a beard, although in July 1996 on our Legend cruise, he did not have one.

I began digging through old stuff from our past cruises after asking the question this morning. What fun reminiscing about the wonderful adventures and people we've met on cruises! Just in case anyone else wondered about my question, his name was Captain Erik Lund Anderssen. A very charming man indeed...

We cruised on the "Queen Odyssey" in 1996 when it was changing from Royal ( think!) cruise line to Seabourn. It was rechristened that July Seabourn Legend. The Captain was Erik Lund Anderssen and was he ever charming!! He would sit down with us at lunch and chat away. What is he doing now, does anyone know? Jean

I believe he left in 1999 to go to Crystal. We sailed with him in 1998 on the Spirit solar eclipse cruise for 14 days, Istanbul-Istanbul. He was quite charming.

I remember one stop in Navplion, where we were sailing at midnight. We were having agreat time on shore, and realized it was 11:45 PM. Several of us were shopping in a lovely jewelry store, and panicked, thinking we were late for reboarding. Suddenly we looked up and there was the Captain buying a gift for his wife, who was joining the ship the next day, so we relaxed---we knew they weren't going to leave without us!

Denyse

We were on then too, maybe even the same cruise? It was July 5th, I'll bet you would remember if that was the same one. The capt. announced that because there was a hurricane in the area, we would change our port schedule around. We were forced to skip Jost Van Dyke and end the cruise in Florida instead of the Bahamas. We never saw even a cloud! I was sold on Seabourn after that cruise! They handled the entire rebooking thing so smoothly and generously.

Last December, we had the pleasure of cruising with Captain Lund Anderssen on SeaDream 1. He had just transferred from SD2 for a couple of cruises, roundtrip St. Thomas, before he headed home for Christmas and New Years. As the other posters have said, a very personable and charming Captain. We had dinner at his table one evening in the dining room and he joined us a couple of times while we were having lunch in the outdoor cafe. He did mention he had been the master of the QUEEN ODYSSEY, the SEABOURN LEGEND when she sailed as part of the ROYAL CRUISELINE FLEET and after, I believe, she had sailed first as the ROYAL VIKING QUEEN. Captain Lund Anderssen did not mention that he had been a captain on Seabourn.

We have just returned from a cruise to BERMUDA on the Seven Seas Navigator. beautiful suites with a full balcony but, can't wait to sail SEABOURN again.

We were on then too, maybe even the same cruise? It was July 5th, I'll bet you would remember if that was the same one. The capt. announced that because there was a hurricane in the area, we would change our port schedule around. We were forced to skip Jost Van Dyke and end the cruise in Florida instead of the Bahamas. We never saw even a cloud! I was sold on Seabourn after that cruise! They handled the entire rebooking thing so smoothly and generously.

No, the solar eclipse on the Black Sea occurred in mid-August, 1998, and the eclipse itself lasted an hour. You would have known it was the solar eclipse cruise because that's why many of us booked this sailing, as it was advertised as such. It was 2 weeks through Greece and Turkey on the Spirit, in and out of Istanbul, with a spectacular position on the Black Sea enabling us to see the eclipse through special cardboard glasses with dark protective lenses that were provided to each passenger in order to look at the sun without damaging ones eyes.

You would also remember the cruise because the earthquake in Turkey occurred the same night we disembarked, which was another interesting natural event, albeit unadvertised and unplanned! A most memorable cruise and post-cruise adventure.

Denyse

P.S. Just noticed you were referring to the Caribbean---obviously not the same cruise! Sorry for the answer to a different question.

The ship sailed in the carib. that summer when it became the Legend, and then was filmed for Speed 2 in the fall.

Thanks for piping in to tell us more about Lund Anderssen. I looked for an old cruise brochure, featuring him, but can't seem to find it now. I know he was there at some point because I saw him with a beard which he doesn't have in our 'captain's party portrait'.

I might have to try Sea Dream! (Don't tell my DH why though)

No, the cruise that I was referring to was in February and I remember it because it was a Valentine special! It cruised to the Grenadines and covered a total of 548 nautical miles in 7 days!! We loved the ship but somehow never returned until this upcoming one in October on Spirit. One reason was because we were told we could not count this as a Seabourn cruise because it wasn't officially Seabourn even though all the crew were Seabourn.

Archived