Deer Island

jess98ac

Hi Jess, we did that excursion in May and were somewhat disappointed in it (and didnt really think it was worth the cost). You take a 40 minute catamaran (sp) from the pier to Deer Island with decent history/narrative from the tour guide. Then semi-chaotic once we got to the island (it's a very primative island so dont think shopping or site seeing - it's a nature preserve area). They provide soda, water and fruit/pastries before a brief (and I do mean brief) demo of how to kayak. Then everyone gets into their 2-person sit on top kayaks for about an hour kayak ride. About 200 feet from shore to avoid the rocks/reef below down to a point where the island turns and then you rest in the kayak for about 10 minutes and turn around and head back. The water was calm at first but as we got toward the turn point it was more like open seas (front of kayak coming out of water slightly when hitting the waves). There were 4 kayak guides that spaces themselves with us (front, midle and back of group). After the kayaking, the hiking portion was offered but downplayed so no one went. The group just sat around at the beach until the catamaran back to the pier. They offered to water taxi us to the Golden Zone for those that wanted to do shopping vs just ride the catamaran back and most of the people chose that option. The water taxi (which they do not offer in rougher seas) is just small 8 person boat that takes about 5 minutes. Then you are on your own to get back to the boat. From the Golden Zone it's a 30 minute "taxi" ride back to the pier but you get a good scenic ride back to the boat. The taxi's from the Golden Zone are $10 per taxi and are actually like golf carts - no doors or windows - that speed thru the streets blasting music, and that was quite fun.

I'm sure other people may have enjoyed the kayaking excursion but we just thought it was so-so. Any more questions, just let me know. Either way, enjoy your cruise. We liked the Mexican Riviera so much we booked another cruise in October for my b-day and cant wait to go back!

Archived