“Live" from the Baltic...9 Days.. 7-16 May..2013

Day 5

St Petersburg...Day 1

Yesterday we had our first full day in St Petersburg,our group met in the vip area on the Star for early exit of of the ship.......most of us are staying in suites and we took advantage of this great perk.

The queue off the ship was very long,but we were one of the first off the ship.......the Russian authority's had a lot of custom officers on duty...I would take a guess and say around thirty booths were open for passport control....the process was quick and we were into the cruise terminal.

I heard that there was a long wait on the Star for people getting off.......some said 1 hour in the line,but we didn’t experience that.

We were met by Spb at the arrivals area and were checked off there list....we were taken too nice 18 seater bus too wait for our guide Elena and driver .

There was some confusion with missing passengers who were stuck on the Star and a quick chat too Victoria the owner of Spb and was decided too start the tour and the others could catch up at the next stop.

The weather was wet for most of the day,with light rain falling....SP only gets 66 days of full sunshine a year and this was our first bad weather day on this cruise .

We started the day with a visit too Peter and Paul’s fortress and Cathedral,this is a large fort and burial place for the Russian emperors......we visited for around 1 hour and got to see the where Tsar Peter the great is buried.Due to the bad weather the hydrofoil to the Peterhof was cancelled and we had to take the bus for 45 mins instead.

The Peterhof has the most magnificent gardens and fountains,very much like Versailles in Paris....we spent one hour walking around the gardens and then stopped for lunch next door to the Peterhof,lunch was a simple dish of soup,stroganoff and ice cream.

Some of us had the local beer as well,it was a extra $3 .

We were then taken to Catherine's palace,this was the highlight of the day.......huge palace with amazing rooms,including the Amber room.the weather was on improve by now and sun was starting to come out....Catherine's palace is about 1 hour outside od SP and we started to head back into town.

We made a stop to look at the subway system,some of the group stayed on the bus,but most of us went down inside the subway to see these huge stations....each station was fitted out superbly and it was like entering a large hall with huge arch-ways.

We arrived back at the port at 6.30 pm,none of our group were doing the evening tours,so we were in no hurry to get back too the ship...Victoria from Spb was at the port welcoming all the tours back and checking if anyone needed any information on the tours....she was very busy that day....Spb tours had over 300 people doing private tours and there busses were all lined up.

A quick passport check and we were back on the Star.

Over view of day

Fantastic day tour,the bus was large and comfortable and our guide was great....there was nothing she didn’t know....her knowledge of Saint Petersburg is first class and she did a great job showing us the sights.

Day 6

Today day 2 of our Saint Petersburg tour,we leave the Star at 8.00 am for second part of tour

Todays highlights

Tour of canals by boat

Early entry into Hermitage museum

Church of our savior

Yusupovs palace

St Isaacs Cathedral

Church of the spilled blood

Weather looks good today,the sun is out.

All aboard 6.30 pm tonight

Tomorrow Helsinki ,Finland

Sounds great - I have one question. Did the group that was stuck on the ship make it to the tour? How much did they miss? I'm debating whether or not to book SPB (or others) for the cruise on the Star on 8/23, and I don't have a balcony or suite, and with my mother and son, can see myself not being off the ship as one of the first ones. I think I'd freak out if we got stuck on board for an hour and our tour left.....

Arrived back on the Star tonight at 5.00 pm on our last day in St Petersburg and what a great day we all had......the weather was perfect for most of the day and we saw so much in the day...we started with the canal trip of SP and it was one of many highlights of day.

The two day Baltic itinerary that Ncl offers gives you great chance see so many sights....we were very happy with our choice of Spb tours.

The exit off the ship today was very easy,with no waiting in line....Spb picked us up at 8.00 am for the 9 hr tour.

All the places visited were a highlight,but the church of spilt blood was the best,followed by the Hermitage museum.

More photos to post when wifi available....the ships internet is fine for basic web browsing,but uploading photos is not possible.

Tonight the clocks go back 1 hour....we have put them forward twice since leaving Warnemunde.

Tomorrow is Helsinki,Finland

We have a DIY tour planned....the ship arrives at 7.00

Some information on Helsinki.

Rick Steves in Helsinki

Sounds great - I have one question. Did the group that was stuck on the ship make it to the tour? How much did they miss? I'm debating whether or not to book SPB (or others) for the cruise on the Star on 8/23, and I don't have a balcony or suite, and with my mother and son, can see myself not being off the ship as one of the first ones. I think I'd freak out if we got stuck on board for an hour and our tour left.....

All the people got onto there tour buses as far as I know......some were delayed by 1 hour or more.....all I can say is there is plenty of time in two days too see all sights that are on your itinerary.

We are the first Ncl ship of the season and they learn where they made mistakes.

The guide Elena was first class and the tour provided was of a high standard....the food could of been better,but the price of the tour was very good for two days.

If money is no problem,then go with Ncl...but we saved $150 p/p on the same or similar tour and we only had 16 on our bus.

All the private operaters get great reviews.

Loving the pics and updates! Keep them coming as I prep for my own cruise to the Baltics on this same boat beginning 3 June!!

It's a great itinerary....well worth doing.

We have been lucky with the weather so far.:)

Why is my DH not sharing my enthusiasm when I tell him 'Ooh, we get to go to the VIP area, and get off quickly at SPB' :D Perhaps it's like being pregnant, and it's only 'real' for the one doing the planning, and the partner only gets excited when it's all actually happening! ;)

We're going with TJ, and s/he will be taking us to Stolle on the first day for their pies. Did you get to try their pirogi on the second day? (I showed my daughter their website, but she's not impressed!) Apple pie for lunch for her, then!

Question about formal night - have you had one yet, and if so, what are the men wearing? Are you seeing any tuxedos, or just jacket and tie? Although I own a tux, I'd rather not bring it on my June 3rd sailing.

Thank you for your ongoing journal, and great photos.

Safe travels,

Mark Callahan (Mark from Charlotte)

Day 7

Helsinki,Finland

Arrive 7.00 am

All aboard 4.30 pm

Forecast partly cloudy

14 C / 57 F

We have just arrived into the harbour,the weather looks good......clear sky’s today.

Our group are planning on doing a boat trip in the Helsinki water ways and out too the fort over looking the harbour......The church of the rock is the main sightseeing visit today.

Most reports of Helsinki say it’s the least interesting place on this cruise itinerary,so a lazy day sightseeing the downtown area is in order.

The port area is very industrial looking.

Question about formal night - have you had one yet, and if so, what are the men wearing? Are you seeing any tuxedos, or just jacket and tie? Although I own a tux, I'd rather not bring it on my June 3rd sailing.

Thank you for your ongoing journal, and great photos.

Safe travels,

Mark Callahan (Mark from Charlotte)

Dress up or not was on the first sea day after Warnemude.....we went to the buffet,the people I saw had shirt and tie.

Didn't see too many Tuxedos

Have they done the laundry special? If so what night was it offered.

Thank You!!! This is wonderful as I prepare for our June 3rd cruise

I saw the laundry special early on this cruise,day two or three of cruise.

Why is my DH not sharing my enthusiasm when I tell him 'Ooh, we get to go to the VIP area, and get off quickly at SPB' :D Perhaps it's like being pregnant, and it's only 'real' for the one doing the planning, and the partner only gets excited when it's all actually happening! ;)

We're going with TJ, and s/he will be taking us to Stolle on the first day for their pies. Did you get to try their pirogi on the second day? (I showed my daughter their website, but she's not impressed!) Apple pie for lunch for her, then!

The Vip exit is priceless.....you will get off the ship FIRST....in Saint Petersburg,this saved us 1 hour.

The reason our bus left early was most of our group was waiting for 1 hour to leave and after "talking" with Victoria,the decision was made too make a start.

We spent 30 minutes in town and the rest caught up....this was our group choice to move on.

I have some photos of the pie shop...it is basic,but it's only a short stop on the way thru too see the sights.

The pies were nice and we had a cold beer as well.....with so much to see,you don't want to waste time at lunch.

Our countdown is on.. we leave June 3rd!!

Question, did you prepurchase local currency for each port? Use ATM's or buy currency on the ship?

Do we need alot of money for the days we're out with SPB? or just for souvenirs?

Thanks in advance for your responses! LOVING YOUR REVIEW!