Question re Civitavecchia Port to Rome via train

jimmybog

Just been looking at using the train for a day trip to Rome from the Port of Civitavecchia. Have seen that you can buy a return train ticket for 12 Euros with a BIRG ticket which includes transportation of the metro etc

However I have also seen that there are various types of train service to Rome on Regional, inter city and Frecciabiana trains. Which of these services does the BIRG ticket cover you for? And when the next train to Rome arrives, how will we know what type of service it is? Don’t want to buy a BIRG ticket only to find it is not valid on the train I have boarded?

thx

The BIRG is only good on regional trains. There are sign boards both in the station and on the tracks that tell you what each train is (number and type, as well as time).

The trains themselves also have markings/painting that tell you what they are. See the "Frecce" and "Services" sections of the Trenitalia web site to see pictures of the various trains: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

It is very easy to do. I think I even found instructions with pictures on the Internet. I don’t think we bought a BERG ticket but rather a one way ticket into Rome and then another one way ticket for the return trip.

While you discussed a BIRG ticket -- which allows bus and metro use in Rome -- on days when the cruise ship(s) are in, there is also an express train to Rome. This train stops at St Petro and the Main Terminal in Rome. The train runs at about 0900 in the morning and returns about 1615. It takes about 15 less than the regional train to Rome and costs a bit more ~15 euro, but is an option if you only want to go to one place -- like the Vatican. Buy your tickets the day you're going to Rome. You can pre-prchase tickets online, but will pay for the privilege, about 3 - 4 euro.

A word of caution, if you are going the Vatican Museum first, take a taxi. The walk to St Peter's is pretty easy and quick, about 15 minutes. The museum entrance is on the "other side" of Vatican City and the walk takes abiut 45 minutes and is not alll scenic

If you get off of the train at the San Pietro (St. Peters) station, there is a bus that you can catch right outside that will take you right to St. Peters square.

Almost - the stop is actually a block south of Piazza San Pietro. It's the third stop on the line (4th if you count the train station starting point): http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=64R&idmtram=50554&xmax=2313013&ymax=4642392&xmin=2308453&ymin=4640681&tipologia=URB&linea=64&circo=NO

Archived