Non-swimmers in Tortola?

Hi everyone! I have what may be a really dumb question and I have posted it in the "Tortola" forum but have had no luck in getting replies.

My Q: Do you need to know how to swim to visit the baths from Tortola? From what I've read it seems like it is a difficult place to get to.

I don't know how to swim (AT ALL :eek:) and I'm terrified of situations where I need to be in deep/rough water. Would I have any trouble going there?

I think you will be fine. We did this with our 2 year old and 5 year old as well as my in laws who are in their mid-sixties. At no part of it could you not touch the bottom. Most of the time it was ankle or calf deep. When you get out to the other side there is a beautiful beach. My in-laws (who do not swim) just sat on the beach while we swam in the ocean.

We did not book through Carnival, we just walked to the ferry on our own. I will say that there was a little added stress in doing it this way because of the shorter time in port. However, after having done it, that's the way I'd do it again.

Have fun!

you don't have to go into deep water to explore Baths......we used Speedys water taxi/ferry to get from Tortola to Virgin Gorda where the Baths are. 40min ride. The ferry terminal is a 10-15 min walk from the cruise pier. Buy your shuttle passes (from where the ferry docks to the Baths entrance) with your ferry pass. If you do have swimmers they can swim as there is beach access. I swam and one minute the water would be btwn my waist and chest and the next minute it would be over my head. I will also say there are some tight spots when going through the Baths so be prepared to get low and tight. All in All one of the best things we have done on a cruise.

you don't have to go into deep water to explore Baths......we used Speedys water taxi/ferry to get from Tortola to Virgin Gorda where the Baths are. 40min ride. The ferry terminal is a 10-15 min walk from the cruise pier. Buy your shuttle passes (from where the ferry docks to the Baths entrance) with your ferry pass. If you do have swimmers they can swim as there is beach access. I swam and one minute the water would be btwn my waist and chest and the next minute it would be over my head. I will also say there are some tight spots when going through the Baths so be prepared to get low and tight. All in All one of the best things we have done on a cruise.

So true on the low and tight. One point we used a rope to pull ourselves up a boulder. Another area we used a wooden ladder with a low ceiling at the top. I'm under 5' and I had to duck.

When we got to the end the water was protected a bit. No waves that I remember.

Hi everyone! I have what may be a really dumb question and I have posted it in the "Tortola" forum but have had no luck in getting replies.

My Q: Do you need to know how to swim to visit the baths from Tortola? From what I've read it seems like it is a difficult place to get to.

I don't know how to swim (AT ALL :eek:) and I'm terrified of situations where I need to be in deep/rough water. Would I have any trouble going there?

No I can't swim (at all) and I have been there no less than 5x. I highly recommend going just to see it and wade along the shore line. There is nothing else in nature like this. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life.

No I can't swim (at all) and I have been there no less than 5x. I highly recommend going just to see it and wade along the shore line. There is nothing else in nature like this. I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life.

So true. Watch the time and do it yourself with one of the ferries. Will have more time there.

Archived