Breakaway Wifi

For those of you who are just off of Breakaway, how were the WiFi speeds? I'm amazed at how painfully slow it is on ships even in 2013. You can get high speed WiFi on an airplane, but not on a ship!

It's only wifi to the ships comms centre. It's the satellite uplink that is normally slow.

However on Breakaway I thought it was great! Much better than Epic only one network for iconceirge and external. I even managed to connect and register my phone with cabin no/name whilst sat inside the terminal building before boarding !

It's only wifi to the ships comms centre. It's the satellite uplink that is normally slow.

However on Breakaway I thought it was great! Much better than Epic only one network for iconceirge and external. I even managed to connect and register my phone with cabin no/name whilst sat inside the terminal building before boarding !

How did iConcierge work for you on the Breakaway? We board in less than 3 weeks! We were on Epic twice last year. In September in the Med, iConcierge worked great and we used it all the time to text (and even call) each other on board. Then, in November in the Caribbean, it was hard to get registered, was slow and glitchy. I wonder if more people were trying to use it in the Caribbean and taxed the system?

If it works right, it's a great convenience, so I'm hoping it does well on Breakaway!

Is it free to call and text others on the ship with iConcierge?

You pay a one-time "registration" fee of like $7.95 per device/phone. Then you can text cabin mates and other friends you meet on board, call cabins, and review the current and upcoming activities, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

iconcierge had many problems on the 5/12 sailing. It wouldn't stay connected to the ship's wifi. Then when you were connected it would tell you it couldn't give you the info until you were on wifi. Very frustrating. When it worked it was good. I was able to check folio charges and reserve a show and dinner. All this was free. We also signed up for the $7.95 ea extra so we could call each other or instant message. That never worked. Not even when we were in the same room. The day we needed it because I had gone to bingo and he didn't and we could not find each other it would not work. I went to guest services. Another passenger was there complaining about it too. They took the charges off our bill. It is great in theory.

Archived