Explorer in need of refurbishment? Miami hotels?

We are taking the Aug 7th sailing on the Explorer and just heard it is going in for a refurbishment in September. Is the ship in really bad condition? Just wondering if anyone had cruised on the Explorer recently so they could let us know what condition the ship is in now.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a nice hotel in Miami for a 3 pre-cruise stay?

thanks in advance for your help!

sorry dont know the answer but am intersested as i am going in Jan. we were on it last year and thought it was fab how much of a refit is it undergoing how long is it out of commision. i have just looked on RCIs web page and the Explorer is being advertised throughout Sep and Oct

DH and I were on the Explorer 1 yr ago and it was in excellent shape. Couple stains here and there but nothing to really bother you. It is an absolutley beautiful ship. I can't wait to book our next cruise because we are going back on the Explorer.

We were on the EOS 3 weeks ago. I didn't see any obvious signs of being worn out. They were replacing the carpet on some of the aft stairs and the plumbing on deck 9 was a little slow, but other than that I thought it looked great! There was always someone going around cleaning and polishing. It looked like it was in pretty good shape overall.

I agree. It was in fabulous shape last year when I was on her and with the way they care for that ship, I can't imagine that she has faded in juet the last year.

When is her dry dock? I am considering booking an October cruise on her??

I was on the same sailing as builderman and agree with everything he states. They were replacing some carpet on the stairways that needed it but who cares. They have to do it sometime to keep the ship looking good for us. After all 3000+ passengers each week will put some wear and tear on them.

Overall, I would give the ship an A-, some wear but I am on vacation. As long as the ship is clean, I am not real concerned. If the appearance of Explorer would bother anyone, that same person will find fault with God himself.

This is just my opinion. Sorry if this offends anyone.

Tim

I was on Explorer of the Seas in February 2005 and everything was super clean! I think RCI dry docks ships on a regular 4 or 5 year basis for deep cleaning and carpet replacement as it is needed. Obviously some areas of the ship have higher amounts of foot traffic, so carpets ware out sooner. I also hear Production Show changes require ships to be dry docked.

We were on Explorer 6/5. We had plumbing problems off and on throughout the last few days of our cruise in both staterooms (deck 9) which the ship's staff responded to promptly when requested. As well, I noticed several of the women's restrooms in public areas with plumbing issues as well. Our staterooms both showed a lot of wear (torn wallcoverings, mended bedspreads, worn carpet), more than I would have expected. However, they were immaculately clean and the ship as a whole is very clean and I felt that the public areas showed very little signs of wear. We had a wonderful cruise and would definately cruise on Explorer again.

Overall, I would give the ship an A-, some wear but I am on vacation. As long as the ship is clean, I am not real concerned. If the appearance of Explorer would bother anyone, that same person will find fault with God himself.

I am sailing on her in January 06:D and I read a few reviews that stated that she was worn and in bad repair:( , so I emailed RCI to ask when the next overhaul would be and they replied that she had been in drydock in Aug 03 and was scheduled again for Sept. 05, for general repair and maintanence. I then did more research and found that an overwhelming majority of people found her to be clean and have only very slight issues w/ stains or signs of wear:) ... and the innitial reviews I read were from, well, perhaps people that would find fault w/ God:rolleyes: ... so I am satisified and excited to cruise her next year!!! I know this doesn't really answer the OP's actual question, but I just wanted to shed some light on the fact that RCI has a pretty decent drydock schedule and that MOST of the reviews I have read in this forum have been positive... the reviews posted under the review section of this site are a little more harsh, for whatever reason!:confused:

Well, I am amazed at the response I have recieved! Thanks so much. This is very helpful. Now if I could just a recommendation for a hotel in Miami! ;)

I can't wait to go on my cruise on the Explorer, it sound like she is in pretty good shape and that the dry dock is just rountine. Thanks again to all who have responded. :D

Linda

Now if I could just a recommendation for a hotel in Miami! ;)

Linda

Linda,

I was able to get the Intercontinental through Priceline for $70 for Saturday night. It's considered a 4* hotel located near Bayside Marketplace. If you have never used Priceline before you can read http://www.biddingfortravel.com for the best advice.

I found the public rooms to be very nice - the pool was clean - the Windjammer was nice.....everything was great but our room. It was in bad need of new carpeting. I'm not just talking about a spot here and there. It looked like someone put Hershey's syrup in a sprinkler. There were massive brown stains all over the floor and on the bedspread. The room was clean but the carpeting was stained. However, everything else was nice.

Our balcony room had sewn up rips in the couch, and stains on the carpet. The only part of the ship that I thought looked DIRTY though, was on deck 12, the jogging deck; the deck chairs were just stained filthily, I could hardly bring myself to sit down on them! (And I'm not usually too picky, I will plop down on a curb if I feel like it)

Almost every chair was covered in a dark brown crud; I scratched at one with my fingernail (I know: "eeeew"!) to see if it was just discolored but it was some kind of muck that had adhered. So it appeared that more frequent scrubbing of them would have averted it. And, in general, I saw less painting and scrubbing going on the Explorer than any other RCI ship I've sailed (but could just be coincidence)

I'm sure after it's dry docked it will be better. My sister commented that the ship seemed a little worn, for as new as it is.

Originally posted by llwren:

We are taking the Aug 7th sailing on the Explorer and just heard it is going in for a refurbishment in September. Is the ship in really bad condition? Just wondering if anyone had cruised on the Explorer recently so they could let us know what condition the ship is in now.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a nice hotel in Miami for a 3 pre-cruise stay?

Sailed the Explorer for Mother's day (5/8-15/05) and the ship is in excellent condition given that 3,000+ passengers use it every day. She is clean and neat. You wont be disappointed.

For a hotel, try the Holiday Inn across the street from Bayside Marketplace. it is very convenient and a short taxi ride from the port (you can almost walk to the port as it is less than a mile).

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Explorer in May 2005- the bedspreads and curtains were faded-the wood on the dressers were peeling-just cosmetic stuff-the rest of the ship looked pretty good-just slightly worn-what did we care-we had a great time!!:)

Was on the Explorer in May...I had read the reviews that said she was in horrible condition and was just filthy...these are NOT TRUE! I guess that I was probably spoiled by my first couple of cruises since they were both on ships that were 7 months or less old. I thought the Explorer was in REALLY NICE shape for being 5 years old! The cabins did have a few spots on the carpet and the cloth headboards, but other than that they were clean. The plumbing seemed to be giving the maintenance crew fits...we had "mystery flushes" in our cabins haha. It wasn't any big deal though. The crew was replacing some carpeting on the stairs, however I hadn't noticed it needed replaced the day before. One thing that RCI could have done differently would have been to replace some deck chairs that had dark spots on them. This didn't really bother me or anyone in my group too much since we are used to staying in the Cayman Islands and know that if chairs are left near the ocean they will attract spots, and they aren't some deadly disease. :p All in all the Explorer is in good shape and you will have a BLAST on her! So much to do and see...your week will go by too quickly.

As for hotels in Miami...we stayed at the Embassy Sweets Airport and questioned how safe we were. Not because of the neighborhood but because of the other guests! We made it out alive so we must have just been too worried, haha.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE! TELL THE EXPLORER WE MISS HER! :D

I have to say no to the Intercontinental. We stayed there for our first cruise and the room was horrible. my DH could do the 3 S's at the same time the bathroom was so small. Plus they only have 1 elevator. Spend the same amount of money and stay in South Beach. We paid $80 and stayed at the Tudor Hotel which is directly behind the Versace Mansion and in the middle of all of the cool places to hang out. Plus it is located right across from the beach. We loved it. The room wasn't that great but it was a great location to eat and shop.

I just got off the ship yesterday! It is very clean and well maintained...if you look for signs of wear you may find it...the mini-golf green was "moldable or would reposition the incline" if you stepped on it which my golf buddy never caught on to! ;) ...bedspread was worn...they were replacing the carpet on the aft stairs..... You'll have a great vacation! Sorry, can't help ya on the hotel...we flew in day of.

I have to say no to the Intercontinental. We stayed there for our first cruise and the room was horrible. my DH could do the 3 S's at the same time the bathroom was so small. Plus they only have 1 elevator. Spend the same amount of money and stay in South Beach. We paid $80 and stayed at the Tudor Hotel which is directly behind the Versace Mansion and in the middle of all of the cool places to hang out. Plus it is located right across from the beach. We loved it. The room wasn't that great but it was a great location to eat and shop.

Oh no! I heard mostly good things about this hotel. I hope my room is different. Well, at least I'll only be there for one night.

There are two Intercontinentals, Intercontinental West and Intercontinental Miami. We stayed at Intercontinental Miami in April, it is a beautiful hotel, has four elevators, we had a view of the port and a good size bathroom. In fact the sink/vanity area was in a separate room from the shower/toilet. We liked it so much we will stay there prior to our November cruise. It's also a 5 minute stroll to Bayside.

Nope the new production shows do not require dry dock. In fact it would be very difficult to install a new production show during a dry dock.

I was on Explorer of the Seas in February 2005 and everything was super clean! I think RCI dry docks ships on a regular 4 or 5 year basis for deep cleaning and carpet replacement as it is needed. Obviously some areas of the ship have higher amounts of foot traffic, so carpets ware out sooner. I also hear Production Show changes require ships to be dry docked.

Archived