Excursions

In the past we have always booked out excursions through the cruise line. However, I have always seen people that get off the ship and have other excursions booked through private companies/websites.

Have any of you done this? Is it cheaper, and worth the risk on not having the 100% guarantee of getting back to the ship on time? Do you have a website that you prefer to use?

We are booked on the Liberty on a 7 day West Med cruise, our first with RCCL and having read through previous threads and read reviews of private tour companies on Trip Adviser, I decided to book them independently, through RomeinLimo for two Italy tours and Riviera Premium for France. Both companies were extremely helpful and professional throughout the enquiry and booking process and I have no doubts Ive done the right thing.

Howie, I meant also to say that I asked the question about getting back to the ship on time and because they have been doing these tours for years and know when the ships are in and out they have it down to a fine art. I have no concerns in that respect.

I suggest that you ask this on the roll call for your cruise. I know we usually have several people who organize these and I think they're a ton of fun. They are less expensive, but, as you correctly note, if something goes wrong, you are on your own.

We prefer private tours and excursions, generally speaking, for several reasons.

1. They are usually (not always) cheaper per person.

2. They are usually smaller groups (the most important reason, to us).

3. They can often be individualized by talking with the operators, so we can get exactly what we want.

To us the ONLY drawback is the remote possibility that you do not get back to the ship on time and have to find your own way to the next port or home.

However, we are willing to take that risk for several reasons.

1. We research our excursions to death - Cruise Critic port of call boards, TripAdvisor, and any other sites and info that pops up on a Google search. We do NOT arrange excursions privately without knowing that many people have used the company successfully.

2. In this day and age, considering that most people do the research as described in #1 above, failing to get clients back to the ship on time would be the kiss of death for a company, and they know it. All it takes is one bad review to hurt a business, and more than one to kill it. This is these peoples' livelihood, so I am confident that as long as I do my homework, barring something completely unexpected, I will get back on time.

There are certain situations where I WOULD still book through the ship, no question. If I can't find a suitable private operator, or it's a port at which I don't feel safe enough, or for any other compelling reason, I would not hesitate to book a cruise line excursion. But our most memorable tours have been those we booked privately.

Have a great cruise whichever excursions you book!

We have done the private tours in Italy (Rome and Tuscany) and Russia and loved them, especially after seeing the "herds" of groups from the cruise ship excursions.

As for cost, it all depends on a) what you want to do, b) private driver/guide or private guide and driver, c) the number of people you have going in your group.

For us, on all occasions, we chose to have it be just us, and have a guide and separate driver. Yes, it was more expensive, but considering the fact that we chose how to spend our time, and we weren't with a group of 40 other people with earphones so we could hear the guide...it was worth every penny.

In the past we have always booked out excursions through the cruise line. However, I have always seen people that get off the ship and have other excursions booked through private companies/websites.

Have any of you done this? Is it cheaper, and worth the risk on not having the 100% guarantee of getting back to the ship on time? Do you have a website that you prefer to use?

I almost always book through private tour operators. It is usually cheap and almost always a better experience (see more, fewer people, less waiting, etc.).

If the excursion is fairly common and relatively close to port I will go independent. If it is an all day excursion with multiple modes of transportation I will go with the ship excursions.

For my upcoming Freedom cruise I saved $185 by booking independently (2 adults) and was able to book an excursion that was not offered through the ship. For me that money is worth the low amount of risk.

Archived