Where can I buy Arepas like they serve at the Blue Iguana?

We were recently on the Liberty and loved the arepas at the Blue Iguana. I bought arepas from our local supermarket but they had refried beans in them. They were nothing like the sweet corn arepas they serve for breakfast at the Blue Iguana on Carnival. Where can I buy something similar to them?

We were recently on the Liberty and loved the arepas at the Blue Iguana. I bought arepas from our local supermarket but they had refried beans in them. They were nothing like the sweet corn arepas they serve for breakfast at the Blue Iguana on Carnival. Where can I buy something similar to them?

You might want to make them yourself. There is a receipe on about . com. Or you can always ask John H. on his facebook page for the receipe. The arepas and watermelon jicama was my favorite. :)

You didn't mention where you live. Is there a Latin neighborhood near you? You may be able to find arepas at a bakery or restaurant in the area. If you can't find arepas, you might have luck finding sweet corn tamales. They are close in flavor and tamales tend to be a bit easier to find with the larger Mexican population in the US.

Most of the food on carnival is made fresh- a galley tour shows that very little is packaged/frozen and just reheated on the ship.

So it is unlikely you can buy a premade product that is going to be the same. You best bet is to try a number of local restaurants or make them yourself.

I actually have a Weight Watchers recipe for arepas. I made it once and, if I recall, they were really good but kind of a lot of trouble.

We are on the July 1 Triumph and I believe the Blue Iguana is being added to it now, so I will definitely look for the arepas.

Ok, have to ask.

What is an arepa? We have eaten at the Cantina on the Liberty before, but do not remember them. Will sure have to try them in Dec.

Claudia

And I thought it was just me! I had no clue either...had to google it.:o

Definition of AREPA

: a usually grilled cornmeal cake served in Latin-American cuisine

Origin of AREPA

American Spanish, probably from Cumaná (Cariban language of the Venezuela coast) erepa corn, cornmeal cake, or from a cognate Cariban formFirst Known Use: 1925

Archived