First Time Oceania Question - Age?

pmcue

On our first Renaissance cruise we were among the younger passengers, although not SO young as some of the people posting this question now. I've said this before but I'll repeat it -- we had dinner one night with a couple who were in their late 30s. They were clearly the youngest people on board. (At the boat drill my husband looked around the GDR and figured the average age was 70.)

Their response was that they were having a wonderful time although they had been unpleasantly surprised to see four wheelchairs being loaded on the ship as they arrived! However, that didn't impact their enjoyment of the cruise and the people they were meeting.

I'm not the first to say that age really doesn't matter. I've had delightful conversations with people well older than we are as well as those who are much younger. It's more your interests and compatability with people than it is the number of years you've been on this planet.

Now, if you're out on a tour and people can't keep up it can be frustrating. But now that I am slower than I used to be (!) I appreciate those who are patient with me. And one way around that is setting up private groups and having people let you know if they have any mobility problems. Lots of tours don't require a lot of walking, but others do.

Frankly, I'm far more impatient with those people who cannot seem to get back to the meeting point on time than I am with people who walk slower than I do.

Oceania passengers do tend to be interesting! One of the best dinners we ever had on Oceania was with two other couples -- one couple was older than we were, the other was younger. The oldest couple had met on an internet dating site: the wife had been widowed, the husband had never been married before and he was 65 at the time.

The thing was we were all musicians and so had MUCH in common! It was a fabulous evening.

Mura

Awesome comments all the way around and am very excited for trying this line. We just joined the roll call and sounds like lots of interesting people already plan in excursions on their own, which we prefer. Thanks again.

Archived